Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Foosball

Default Foosball

Are any of you guys into foosball?

I didn't play much growing up at all but in college we had a real crappy table we used to mess around on.
    Over the past couple years I've really gotten into it with some buddies, I bought a Tornado Storm table just under 2 years ago and am looking to add to the collection. I have a lead on a single goalie fireball that really has my interest - would love a warrior or even a FABI home model.

Anyone speak my language here!?

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Re: Foosball

Hehe, some of it is understandable, some of it is Chinese to me. I used to play back in college during breaks. We had tournaments where we would have over 50 spectators surrounding the tables and cheering on. All I know is that I have the ''ability'' to flick my wrist when shooting with my forward players and have the ball bounce back in once every 5-6 shots. That type of goal used to count as 2 in our games.

Happy I'm not the only one who played/plays foosball.

PS: those table are expensive dooley!! I just checked some out online; you're really a fan of it if you are considering spending that much
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Star

It's been years since I played foosball, but in high school, I skipped enough class to get really good at foosball. A class-skipping friend of mine and I even won a few local doubles tournaments. There was 4 high school buddies who played regularly for a few years. Funny enough, the 4 of us attended a UFC event fairly recently in a bar which had a foosball table in it which several people were playing around. I got the idea that we should see if we still had it. Interestingly, even though none of us have touched a table in the last 20 years and we were all rusty, we definitely didn't lose as much as I thought we would have. Here we were, four 45-50 year men, destroying the 20 somethings at foosball. We got quite a few laughs and many "what the f***..." looks and comments from the foosball locals, and it was a blast.

I have thought for a long time about getting a table myself. The problem is, that I live in a small apartment and I am not sure I have the room, or if my neighbors can take the noise. I know a couple people who have tables, and I have seen that there is a really wide variation in the level of quality between good tables, and shitty ones. I know that Tornado makes some quality tables. Would you be looking at getting a second table to get a better quality table than you currently have? Or is it just to add to the collection?

Rylant

Dobber Sports Master

Sooo... prevailing thoughts on 'spinning'?

Foosball is a great smack talk activity... not that I would claim to be good enough to actually talk smack.
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Loch View Post
    Sooo... prevailing thoughts on 'spinning'?

Foosball is a great smack talk activity... not that I would claim to be good enough to actually talk smack.
    Spinning doesn't take a lot of skill, and people who play by spinning are generally considered to be very casual. Spinning was never allowed in any of the tournaments that I have ever played in.

Rylant

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    Hehe, some of it is understandable, some of it is Chinese to me. I used to play back in college during breaks. We had tournaments where we would have over 50 spectators surrounding the tables and cheering on. All I know is that I have the ''ability'' to flick my wrist when shooting with my forward players and have the ball bounce back in once every 5-6 shots. That type of goal used to count as 2 in our games.

Happy I'm not the only one who played/plays foosball.

PS: those table are expensive dooley!! I just checked some out online; you're really a fan of it if you are considering spending that much
    Wow that's awesome haha, we've setup some pretty cool tournaments here, absolutely love the game!
    Yes the cost is up there for a good table haha, my Tornado Storm 2 was $575 which is a stupid stupid stupid stupid good deal.
    The fireball will likely cost $800 and it's not quite as popular as the Tornado but a fair price still!

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    It's been years since I played foosball, but in high school, I skipped enough class to get really good at foosball. A class-skipping friend of mine and I even won a few local doubles tournaments. There was 4 high school buddies who played regularly for a few years. Funny enough, the 4 of us attended a UFC event fairly recently in a bar which had a foosball table in it which several people were playing around. I got the idea that we should see if we still had it. Interestingly, even though none of us have touched a table in the last 20 years and we were all rusty, we definitely didn't lose as much as I thought we would have. Here we were, four 45-50 year men, destroying the 20 somethings at foosball. We got quite a few laughs and many "what the f***..." looks and comments from the foosball locals, and it was a blast.

I have thought for a long time about getting a table myself. The problem is, that I live in a small apartment and I am not sure I have the room, or if my neighbors can take the noise. I know a couple people who have tables, and I have seen that there is a really wide variation in the level of quality between good tables, and shitty ones. I know that Tornado makes some quality tables. Would you be looking at getting a second table to get a better quality table than you currently have? Or is it just to add to the collection?

Rylant
    Haha that's awesome, I absolutely love walking up to tables unsuspectingly! They do take up a lot of room which does make it tough to put one in a small space!
    I am keeping the Tornado for sure, it's in great condition and is setup to be coin operated too which is great, such a sturdy well built table.

I am looking at a single goalie rod fireball thats coin-operated right now, looks like I can get one for $800 which is actually amazing.
    Also know a guy selling a coin-op tornado for about $1200 - I think its the 3000 series, would be an upgrade in the Tornado world but my table is good still haha.
    The guy I am most likely getting the fireball from has a coin-op FABI table too, definitely has caught my interest but probably just 1 for now lol.

The other day we had an event where I work (My Tornado table is permanently there) and two guys in their early 20's were playing eachother. I walked over and asked if they played much or if they were pros or anything and the one guy says yeah im pretty good but my friend here is 100x better, he's a pro. Now, I HAVE played pros and the last thing I would do is get into a match with one of them haha (The Canadian Foosball team is actually located in Toronto, I get my parts and extra pieces from them and play time from time to time). Anyway, decide that these guys can't be pros and ask if they would 2 vs 1 me! They ask if I play much and of course, I say no haha - anyway, absolutely destroyed them, think it was 15-2 by the time we finished our 3 games lol!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    Spinning doesn't take a lot of skill, and people who play by spinning are generally considered to be very casual. Spinning was never allowed in any of the tournaments that I have ever played in.

Rylant
    Oh goshhhhhhh!
    - No spins (neveerrrrr)
    - No 5 man goals (never)
    - No slop (if you didnt mean to score it doesnt count lol)

Those are our rules lol

- - - Updated - - -

This is the Tornado 3000 - amazing table.

This is the model I have, the Tornado Storm 2 (from google images) but identical except we have wraps on permanently.

This is the fireball I am most likely going to buy (single goalie).

Dobber Sports Star

I used to have a Tornado elite table, and lived in a house of 6 people... where we used the foosball table as the primary source of conflict resolution. Got good. I actually think it's best to get one table and specialize on that.

As for rules, we always used official rules, which basically say that a goal is a goal. It's the only universal way to play in my view... there can be a ton of skill in doing a lefthand pull goal from the 5-bar, so why the hell wouldn't that count?

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by dooley89 View Post
    Haha that's awesome, I absolutely love walking up to tables unsuspectingly! They do take up a lot of room which does make it tough to put one in a small space!
    I am keeping the Tornado for sure, it's in great condition and is setup to be coin operated too which is great, such a sturdy well built table.

I am looking at a single goalie rod fireball thats coin-operated right now, looks like I can get one for $800 which is actually amazing.
    Also know a guy selling a coin-op tornado for about $1200 - I think its the 3000 series, would be an upgrade in the Tornado world but my table is good still haha.
    The guy I am most likely getting the fireball from has a coin-op FABI table too, definitely has caught my interest but probably just 1 for now lol.

The other day we had an event where I work (My Tornado table is permanently there) and two guys in their early 20's were playing eachother. I walked over and asked if they played much or if they were pros or anything and the one guy says yeah im pretty good but my friend here is 100x better, he's a pro. Now, I HAVE played pros and the last thing I would do is get into a match with one of them haha (The Canadian Foosball team is actually located in Toronto, I get my parts and extra pieces from them and play time from time to time). Anyway, decide that these guys can't be pros and ask if they would 2 vs 1 me! They ask if I play much and of course, I say no haha - anyway, absolutely destroyed them, think it was 15-2 by the time we finished our 3 games lol!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh goshhhhhhh!
    - No spins (neveerrrrr)
    - No 5 man goals (never)
    - No slop (if you didnt mean to score it doesnt count lol)

Those are our rules lol

- - - Updated - - -

This is the Tornado 3000 - amazing table.
    Ya those are the same rules we used when playing casually. No 5 bar goals, no spins, and if it went off one of your own, it didn't count. In tournaments that I played in, 5 bar goals and slop goals counted, but not spin goals.

Rylant

The Great One

I had a FABI table that I just sold a year or so ago.

It was in my parents garage for many years....no room in my small Toronto condo.

Anyways, not sure if anyone mentioned it yet but a Bonzini table is the greatest table. It's the table they use to play some international tournaments on.

Here are some guys messing around on a Bonzini.

Problem is finding out of these tables. I don't even think they sell them in Canada. And the other problem is that they are pricey. Around $2200US.

But, wooden players, a linoleum court and cork balls, full sized nets, super grippy play allows for great finesse and razzle dazzle play.....its the greatest table to play on.

Dobber Sports Star

To me, there is nothing prettier in foosball, than a solid unsuspected bank from your 2 bar...

Rylant

Quote Originally Posted by fantasyhockeygeek View Post
    I used to have a Tornado elite table, and lived in a house of 6 people... where we used the foosball table as the primary source of conflict resolution. Got good. I actually think it's best to get one table and specialize on that.

As for rules, we always used official rules, which basically say that a goal is a goal. It's the only universal way to play in my view... there can be a ton of skill in doing a lefthand pull goal from the 5-bar, so why the hell wouldn't that count?
    The 5-man and slop are house rules we use, they're used at teamplay in Toronto too where I play sometimes, the reason we do this is to force playing from your 3 man which is where you want the ball if you're trying to score. Obviously being an offensive 2 bar player is key as well but you dont send it back from your 5.
    It is impossible to make as skilled of a shot with your 5 as it is with your 3 which is why we say no 5 man and the slop rule again is to just help build skill!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    I had a FABI table that I just sold a year or so ago.

It was in my parents garage for many years....no room in my small Toronto condo.

Anyways, not sure if anyone mentioned it yet but a Bonzini table is the greatest table. It's the table they use to play some international tournaments on.

Here are some guys messing around on a Bonzini.

Problem is finding out of these tables. I don't even think they sell them in Canada. And the other problem is that they are pricey. Around $2200US.

But, wooden players, a linoleum court and cork balls, full sized nets, super grippy play allows for great finesse and razzle dazzle play.....its the greatest table to play on.
    Great tables, I've been lucky enough to play on some Garlando's - love the fast pace but Tornado is still my preferred table.
    The angles and banks on that bonzini are great, the pin, push, pulls and all that are do-able on the other tables but not some of those wall shots - wow!

The Great One

The grip of a Bonzini table is nothing I have ever encountered before.

It's the 'clay court' effect. It's fantastic.

I just sold my FABI table for $200 buck to a friend. Steal of a deal.