Thread: Backstrom for Ehlers and Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Master

Default Backstrom for Ehlers and Vasilevskiy

Guy in my league (sig) wants Backstrom. He has Ovie. My team is in sig.

His first offer" Ehlers, Dvorak, Sergachev. Not a bad offer, but sets me back out of contention for a while.

Added problem, we have to drop 4 players at the end of each year. Carrying rookies and waiting for them to pan out comes at a huge cost. I restocked my cupboard this summer, adding Connor, Theodore, Pulock (in terms of guys that are a wait..) and already had Pouliot as a wait. I am willing to be patient with him for another 18 months or so. So the offer, even if it has overall quality, is a pass for our league setup.

I am eyeing down Vasilevskiy, who looks better and better to me. Even if he is in a timeshare, it won't last long. Is this move value for Backstrom? I think it's close and considering I need to rejuvenate my goalies (unbelievable, since just 2 years ago, Rinne and Rask were 1 and 2 in fantasy hockey..), so as to have superstars waiting in the wings for when my former superstars lose their lustre.

He may be unwilling to give up Vaseline, simply because he has Fleury... But Vaso isn't established just yet...

Thoughts?

His team:

F Alex Ovechkin, Wsh
    F Ryan Getzlaf, Ana F
    F Anze Kopitar, LA F
    F Evgeny Kuznetsov, Wsh F
    F Phil Kessel, Pit F
    F Rick Nash, NYR F
    F Mark Stone, Ott F
    F Nikolaj Ehlers, Wpg F
    F Evander Kane, Buf F
    F Alexander Radulov, Mon F
    D Andrei Markov, Mon D
    D Morgan Rielly, Tor D
    D Aaron Ekblad, Fla D
    D Dougie Hamilton, Cgy D
    D Duncan Keith, Chi D

Bench Sam Reinhart, Buf F
    Bench Max Domi, Ari F
    Bench Seth Jones*, Cls D IR
    Bench Adam Larsson, Edm D
    Bench Nail Yakupov, StL F
    Bench Vincent Trocheck, Fla F
    Bench Mikhail Sergachev, Mon D
    Bench Christian Dvorak, Ari

GOALIES

G Henrik Lundqvist, NYR GBreaking News
    G Cam Talbot, Edm GBreaking News
    G Marc-Andre Fleury, Pit G
    G Andrei Vasilevskiy,
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: Backstrom for Ehlers and Vasilevskiy

I think this is great value for Backstrom. Might not help you contend this year... but I think it is great for next year when Vasileskiy is not in timeshare with Bishop.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I'm on the side of Ehlers & Vas. Don't expect Bishop to go away before the years over though.

Dobber Sports Stud

Hard to deal a guy as consistent as Backstrom...

If he was on his regular pace and Ehlers didn't explode like that - would you do this trade?
    Not saying it's a bad offer, it is actually very tempting if you're willing to wait on Vasilevskiy but even then you're not 100% sure of what's going to happen...
    If you want to swing for the fences, you take that offer and maybe try to add a bit to it since you're giving up the best player.
    If you're in it this year, I would bet that Backstrom outpoints Ehlers for the rest of the season.
    Points-only keeper league. 12 teams. Keep any 12 players. Dress 12F - 6D - 2G.

Dobber Sports Master

aaaaaaaaand 5 pts last night. Just like that.

It is a fair deal but basically means I give up on the season, which I don't know that I am prepared to do (it's November lol). I think Ehlers can make it close, due to changes in usage of he and Backstrom.. but Backstrom is a proven top 10 player and Ehlers needs time to get there. Coupled with Vaseline, I think it's a fair deal though, as I am a believer. The question is really timing....
    Blades of Steel

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by rufio.85 View Post
    Hard to deal a guy as consistent as Backstrom...

If he was on his regular pace and Ehlers didn't explode like that - would you do this trade?
    Not saying it's a bad offer, it is actually very tempting if you're willing to wait on Vasilevskiy but even then you're not 100% sure of what's going to happen...
    If you want to swing for the fences, you take that offer and maybe try to add a bit to it since you're giving up the best player.
    If you're in it this year, I would bet that Backstrom outpoints Ehlers for the rest of the season.
    What do you suggest as the added extra?

The thing about our league is if I take on 2 guys, I have to drop one. Ideally, I would send back a player to him.. Maybe Burakovsky...?
    Blades of Steel

Saros, Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Stud

Try to get something symbolic like a pick?

And if your instincts tell you that you should acquire Ehlers and Vas, please do so.
    When I'm torn about a trade, I go with my first feeling.
    It's a very legit gamble and a potential home run if they both pan out as expected.
    Points-only keeper league. 12 teams. Keep any 12 players. Dress 12F - 6D - 2G.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I like the deal for you, but you might try and upgrade another player slightly. Maybe he'd want Oshie as well for something slightly better?

If that doesn't work, a pick upgrade would be nice.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Pro

I would trade Backstrom for Ehlers and Vasi if I were you. I'm not convinced you come out all that much worse this year, and those two are both gonna be studs for a long time.

Dobber Sports Master

Now that Bishop is moved, this deal has to be worth it for me.. He had cold feet and offered Ehlers and Trochek instead. I think I still prefer the Vasilevskiy side with Rinne declining.
    Blades of Steel

Saros, Shesterkin