Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Put Your Christmas Decorations Away!

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Put Your Christmas Decorations Away!

Update 2:
    Either Canadian Tire sells extremely life like Reindeer and they walked from my front lawn to my carport, or my neighbour moved them off my own lawn to my carport.

Time to lock these sonsofabitches to the ground. Gonna pour some concrete into blocks and drop them into the ground and lock my reindeer to the blocks. If she can move those Reindeer, she’s a beast and I don’t want to mess with her.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Ninja

Your neighbour is actually insane.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    Your neighbour is actually insane.
    From what I can tell she’s single, retired, little bonkers and bored.

She is the crazy neighbour everyone has. She apparently freaked on someone I talk to down the street about how their cat ate “her birds” claiming it climbed a tree and jumped from the tree down on the bird feeder like Seth Rogan in Pineapple Express. “Her Birds” are wild birds that eat from 1 of her 100 bird feeders in the backyard. And the cat is 15yrs old and has trouble walking upstairs so don’t know how it can catch a bird.

The crappy thing is she doesn’t do anything so I can’t catch her doing something really wrong. Well the trespassing is wrong, but I’m not going to be able to catch her. I need my sleep to go to work.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    From what I can tell she’s single, retired, little bonkers and bored.

She is the crazy neighbour everyone has. She apparently freaked on someone I talk to down the street about how their cat ate “her birds” claiming it climbed a tree and jumped from the tree down on the bird feeder like Seth Rogan in Pineapple Express. “Her Birds” are wild birds that eat from 1 of her 100 bird feeders in the backyard. And the cat is 15yrs old and has trouble walking upstairs so don’t know how it can catch a bird.

The crappy thing is she doesn’t do anything so I can’t catch her doing something really wrong. Well the trespassing is wrong, but I’m not going to be able to catch her. I need my sleep to go to work.
    thats what game cameras are for

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by iwinthings View Post
    thats what game cameras are for
    I rather mess with her with the half bag on concrete I have leftover. Until something real serious happens.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I rather mess with her with the half bag on concrete I have leftover. Until something real serious happens.
    have fun. crazy people are fun to mess with

Dobber Sports Star

Update 2:
    Either Canadian Tire sells extremely life like Reindeer and they walked from my front lawn to my carport, or my neighbour moved them off my own lawn to my carport.

Time to lock these sonsofabitches to the ground. Gonna pour some concrete into blocks and drop them into the ground and lock my reindeer to the blocks. If she can move those Reindeer, she’s a beast and I don’t want to mess with her.
    Put them on her lawn, looking into her windows.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I first heard that putting up your Christmas (it's NOT X-Mas for, ahem, Christ's sake!) decorations before Remembrance Day was disrespectful a couple of years ago. I still haven't heard any good reasons why. I can tell you that as a veteran, I don't give one hoot when anyone puts up Christmas decorations because, well, freedom. This thing just feels like some people trying too hard to control other people's actions. November 11 is also my birthday, so I'm on parade pretty much every year (or I'm attending a ceremony in uniform). I guess some people are worried that we could get distracted by all the Christmas lights while marching and march into things. I do get easily distracted...squirrel...

I'm just tired of people getting offended for pretty much everything. I'm also getting older and might just be cranky.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    I first heard that putting up your Christmas (it's NOT X-Mas for, ahem, Christ's sake!) decorations before Remembrance Day was disrespectful a couple of years ago. I still haven't heard any good reasons why. I can tell you that as a veteran, I don't give one hoot when anyone puts up Christmas decorations because, well, freedom. This thing just feels like some people trying too hard to control other people's actions. November 11 is also my birthday, so I'm on parade pretty much every year (or I'm attending a ceremony in uniform). I guess some people are worried that we could get distracted by all the Christmas lights while marching and march into things. I do get easily distracted...squirrel...

I'm just tired of people getting offended for pretty much everything. I'm also getting older and might just be cranky.
    I've yet to see an argument or any sane rational reason why a commercial holiday needs decorations put up 2 months in advance of the actual day. Because there isn't one.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I've yet to see an argument or any sane rational reason why a commercial holiday needs decorations put up 2 months in advance of the actual day. Because there isn't one.
    Yes there is. Well two actually. Snow and ice can come before 11 Nov.

I don't really disagree with your statement about the need to put holiday decoration up 2 months in advance, but I don't understand what that has to do with disrespect to veterans and Remembrance Day. Someone can put up decorations and still pay their respects, one has nothing to do with the other, at least in my opinion. It's certainly not worth trying to make other people feel bad or attempt to guilt them into changing their behaviour. Just my $0.02

The Great One

No. You're not allowed to pay your respects because you put up DECORATIONS!! Such a joke.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    What length of time would you mandate that we all put up the appropriate decorations? What is the sane, rational amount of time?

Dobber Sports Giant

I'm not one to defend either side, but I think that rataylor is very passionate about the topic, and rightfully so. He may be going at it the wrong way, but in the end, you can't shame a guy for asking that Remembrance Day be, well, ''remembered''. You also can't shame others for not acknowledging the day the same way you do though. In my opinion, there shouldn't be a specific day in the calendar to mark the events of so many sacrifices for our great country, but as it stands, there is and it should be important to all. The importance can be felt differently, from one individual to another and by the look of it, it truly is and that's fine.

On the flip side, the ''freedom'' that the veterans fought to get and to protect is ours to cherish. We have the freedom to think, say and do as we please. Not ''celebrating'' Memorial Day or doing various activities on that calendar day is to each their own. Some people don't give out candy on Halloween, some don't celebrate Christmas or other religious events, some don't celebrate their own birthdays and I know that certain people may say that these are celebrations whereas Memorial Day is more of a ''pay your respects'' day but you know what, some people don't keep quiet during National anthems or moments of silence and some don't give to charities... In the end, to each their own. What you do to better your life and those of others around you is what those freedoms are for so however you want to ''give thanks'' for those sacrifices is your own perogative.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Guru

I was at Chapters on the weekend with one of my kids. A Christmas song came on, so we hightailed it out of there. Way too early for that.

I hate the fact that Christmas songs are played now, decorations are lit every night, etc. Mainly because people will spend the next six weeks getting ready for Christmas. Then on Boxing Day, the Christmas music stops, people stop turning on their lights, and it's on to the next holiday. Take some time to celebrate Christmas at Christmas. Not the two months before. It'd be nice to visit friends on Dec. 27 in the Christmas spirit, not in the Valentine's Day spirit.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    I'm not one to defend either side, but I think that rataylor is very passionate about the topic, and rightfully so. He may be going at it the wrong way, but in the end, you can't shame a guy for asking that Remembrance Day be, well, ''remembered''. You also can't shame others for not acknowledging the day the same way you do though. In my opinion, there shouldn't be a specific day in the calendar to mark the events of so many sacrifices for our great country, but as it stands, there is and it should be important to all. The importance can be felt differently, from one individual to another and by the look of it, it truly is and that's fine.

On the flip side, the ''freedom'' that the veterans fought to get and to protect is ours to cherish. We have the freedom to think, say and do as we please. Not ''celebrating'' Memorial Day or doing various activities on that calendar day is to each their own. Some people don't give out candy on Halloween, some don't celebrate Christmas or other religious events, some don't celebrate their own birthdays and I know that certain people may say that these are celebrations whereas Memorial Day is more of a ''pay your respects'' day but you know what, some people don't keep quiet during National anthems or moments of silence and some don't give to charities... In the end, to each their own. What you do to better your life and those of others around you is what those freedoms are for so however you want to ''give thanks'' for those sacrifices is your own perogative.
    Perfectly said.

In other words: Mind ya bisness.