Thread: Cleaning out your computer to help it be faster

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Cleaning out your computer to help it be faster

any computer literate folks that can help me here? I have a HP lap top (beatsaudio) and my internet speed is tested at 6.29 mbps download and 0.89 mbps upload. i read that there could be programs in the background that is slowing things down. i'm looking at my "BACKGROUND PROCESSES" and says there is 80 of them.

for example there is

- 64-bit Synaptics Pointing Enhance Service
    - Application Frame Host
    - Bonjour Service
    - COM Surrogate
    - Cortana
    - Device Association Framework

and many others. Have no idea what they mean. could it just be a matter that my wifi connection just isnt that strong to begin with? anyone know much about this sort of stuff that can help? thanks

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Re: Cleaning out your computer to help it be faster

Funny....I recently re-loaded my HP laptop for a very similar reason and it works great now!

Funny thing is, I was dreading the reload process because I thought (as I've done many times over the years) that it would wipe the laptop clean so I spents hours backing up all of my music, movies and pics etc. What version of Windows is it? Then when I finally went to the System Restore in Windows 10 it came up with the option that said something like "Do you want to keep all of your media but reload everything else" .................thus I could have avoided the painful backup process and just went with that.

Anyways let me know if I can help.

Dobber Sports Monster

my nephew is playing video games on another pc using this internet. would that effect the speed much if at all?

- - - Updated - - -

on my task manager it says

CPU
    3% 2.55 GHz

Memory
    3.3/7.9 GB

Disk
    0%

Dobber Sports Master

Reinstalling your OS might be necessary, but do some simple things first.

Make sure you are using a modern browser.
    If you are already using a modern browser, get rid of all the unnecessary plugins and extensions
    Is your wireless router too far away from your laptop? Signal strength good? I've heard that sometimes switching the channel your router broadcasts on can work. If there are a lot of other wireless signals on the same channel, it could slow you down. If it is better with an ethernet cable instead of wifi, then you have something to go on.
    Some programs that run in the background can chew your bandwidth. Steam, EA Origin, torrent client/servers, etc... can all be using bandwidth in the background. Close them if you are not using them.
    Check for the latest drivers for your router on the manufacturers website.
    What speed does your phone get for internet? Is it faster than your laptop? If you phone is faster, then you know there is some work required on your laptop.
    Background processes are normal, but some might be malware. Google the process and understand what each one is for (at least find out if it is malicious). For example: Cortana: https://support.microsoft.com/en-nz/...ows-10-what-is

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan12 View Post
    my nephew is playing video games on another pc using this internet. would that effect the speed much if at all?

- - - Updated - - -

on my task manager it says

CPU
    3% 2.55 GHz

Memory
    3.3/7.9 GB

Disk
    0%

Yes! You probably found the source of the problem. He's eating all your bandwidth would be my guess. Is it better when he isn't home?

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Wedgy View Post
    Yes! You probably found the source of the problem. He's eating all your bandwidth would be my guess. Is it better when he isn't home?
    yes it's usually way better. now he is watching youtube videos. i thought it might have something to do with too much files on my computer. i deleted most of my pictures and text documents to clear space.

Dobber Sports Master

yes it's usually way better. now he is watching youtube videos. i thought it might have something to do with too much files on my computer. i deleted most of my pictures and text documents to clear space.
    Ouch... The space needed for text documents would be negligible. Pictures are bigger, but even still, not very big. You would have to deleted hundreds of them to clear space on the hard drive. Even then... I doubt disk space would have been the problem. I think you would get a warning that disk space is low first.

At least you likely know the root cause now. You can actually buy network traffic manager apps. You could limit his bandwidth based on his IP. Leave all the good bandwidth for yourself! hahaha

Dobber Sports Monster

Kind of funny looking back at yahoo answers from 2007 and people asking if 6.5 mbps is good and everyone kept saying "It's spectacular" lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Wedgy View Post
    Ouch... The space needed for text documents would be negligible. Pictures are bigger, but even still, not very big. You would have to deleted hundreds of them to clear space on the hard drive. Even then... I doubt disk space would have been the problem. I think you would get a warning that disk space is low first.

At least you likely know the root cause now. You can actually buy network traffic manager apps. You could limit his bandwidth based on his IP. Leave all the good bandwidth for yourself! hahaha
    oh ok. the pictures i didnt really need tho. i got all those on my facebook anyways

Dobber Sports Expert

My girlfriend has HP BeatStudio laptop and I freaking hate using it. There's way too many fluff apps on it.

I'd suggest some google research like "INSERT LAPTOP MODEL optimizing" something like that could really help.

I left the Windows world a couple months ago for Linux (Mint), and god I have been so happier.
    twitter: @hugotwigg

Dobber Sports Monster

so would you guys consider 6.7 Mbps slow internet? im pretty sure i have the cheapest package for telus internet so maybe thats why its topping out at about 6.5-7 Mbps

Dobber Sports Master

Internet connection < 7mbps is slow unless you live in the jungle. If you connection is that slow, I think there actually might be something wrong. I think you can check the speed from your router as well. I'd be surprised if an ISP is selling a deal that has a 7mbps rate. That is pretty slow.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I agree with Atomic Wedgy. Log into your router and go into the wireless menu. You should be able to do a scan of all wireless devices near you. I live in an apartment building and have a lot. Try to choose channel 1, 6, or 11 - whichever is least used. That will greatly improve your internet speed. There are a lot of websites with information about choosing the correct channel so do some research if you are in doubt.

As well, keep you machine clean. I use CCleaner to clean up temp files (internet and Win OS) that slow down the machine. Also Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to look for hidden Trojans and spyware. Both programs are excellent and free.

Dobber Sports Monster

I have Windows Defender on my computer and I did a scan and it said there were no threats detected. Anyone know how good Windows Defender is?

Dobber Sports Star

any computer literate folks that can help me here? I have a HP lap top (beatsaudio) and my internet speed is tested at 6.29 mbps download and 0.89 mbps upload. i read that there could be programs in the background that is slowing things down. i'm looking at my "BACKGROUND PROCESSES" and says there is 80 of them.

for example there is

- 64-bit Synaptics Pointing Enhance Service
    - Application Frame Host
    - Bonjour Service
    - COM Surrogate
    - Cortana
    - Device Association Framework

and many others. Have no idea what they mean. could it just be a matter that my wifi connection just isnt that strong to begin with? anyone know much about this sort of stuff that can help? thanks
    64 Bit Synaptics Pointing Enhance Service is a HP service. Application Frame Host has to do with your Windows Operating System as its from Microsoft, Bonjour is related to iTunes and is from Apple, Cortana is like Siri, but for Microsoft and Device Association Framework is a Microsoft core process that serves as a framework for connecting to your network. All of them are legit processes. I agree that your nephew might be hurting your ability to smoothly surf the net.

Personally, I have always been a big fan of reformatting your computers every now and then. I reformat all of my computers probably once a year.

Rylant