Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cap Hit on Waivers, Re-entry Waivers

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Cap Hit on Waivers, Re-entry Waivers

With Schneider clearing waivers (as reported by TSN.ca), how does this affect the MIGHTY Duck\'s Cap? Does it get cleared from the books?

I heard that when a player is claimed via re-entry waivers, the team that acquires the player is only on the hook for half the cap. Now with the season looming, do you think Burke will quickly recall Schneider back into the re-entry waivers in hopes of having some team willing to take on 1/2 of his price tag?
    In 9-team, 22 player keepers league (keep 10)
    12F, 6D, 2G, 2 Util. G/A = 1pt, W = 2pt, SO = 4pt

Team:
    F: Hossa, Spezza, Carter, Kane, H. Sedin, Savard, Tavares
    D: None
    G: Lundqvist, Miller, Price

*Signed thru 09-10

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I`ve made a couple of posts on this, because I have both Selanne and Schneider so am watching it closely.

The Ducks are $3.2M over the cap, so it is really a kick in the a$$ to Burke that no-one claimed him. If they re-call him, they have to eat 50% of the salary and cap hit if some one claims him on re-entry. His cap hit is 5.625M, which means even if the bring him back up, the Ducks are still over the cap and need to make another move! So unless they leave him in the minors or find a trading partner they are still up the creek and still can\'t sign Selanne.

The question I have, is if they find someone to trade for him, does that team need to put him through re-entry waivers and can another team claim him in the process?

My prediction? They send Schneider and a prospect to a team for low draft pick.
    8 Team Auction league: 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench, 5 farm. $1,000,000 salary cap, live auction annually, 3 year contracts, RFA after contract expiry. Player goes back into the draft, manager who keeps an RFA has the opportunity to match the highest bid. Keep 15 total PLUS farm team. Farm team counts towards your cap.
    Stats: G,A, PPP, PIM, +/-, Shots, GWG - W, SV%, SO

C: Backstrom $72, Bergeron $30, Malkin $160, TJ $5
    LW: Forsberg $5, Schwartz $5, Schenn $16, JVR $15
    RW: Wheeler $67
    D: Doughty $58, Weber $48, Vatenan $7
    G: Schneider $5 Dubnyck $5

Farm: Gibson $13, Drouin $19, S. Bennett $13, Hubs $23

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Because Schneider signed the contract as a 35 years or older player, it doesn\'t matter if the Ducks waive him or not, he will still count against their cap. The ONLY way they get cap relief is if another team takes on his contract. Not even if he retires will they get cap relief because of that multiyear contract/over 35 rule in the current CBA.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

In response to prkal8r:

Two points here:

1) Schneider\'s salary will remain on the Ducks\' books (and count against their cap) as long as he is part of the organization, i.e., even if he plays in the AHL. This is because he is over 35 years old, and signed a multi-year deal. This means that ANA absolutely has to move him before the start of the season, either via trade or via re-entry waivers, as you suggested.

2) As for your question: yes, the team that acquires him in a trade would have to bring him through re-entry waivers, and would probably lose him to another team via a re-entry waiver claim, and so be stuck with the cost/cap hit of 1/2 of Schneider\'s salary. That means Burke is going to have to really sweeten the deal to get someone to take this problem off his hands.

What a mess. I hope all this \"Burke is the best GM in the NHL\" nonsense dies down now. First Penner, then Bertuzzi, then this. If his track record over the last 3 years has shown us anyting, it\'s that he is not a responsible GM in this new cap era.
    -----------------

LEAGUE: keeper -- 6 keepers per year, no farm; roto; 10 managers, 18-man rosters; 2 C, 2 LW, 2 RW, 4 D, 1 UTIL, 2 G, 5 Bench; limits of 99 games per skater position & 82 games per goalie position; daily roster moves; max 100 waiver wire transactions per year; scoring categories of G, A, +/-, HIT, PPP, SOG, DEF (points by d-men), W, GAA, SA%, and SV.

ROSTER:

C: Draisaitl* (LW), Dubois, Nelson
    LW: Svechnikov* (RW), Hagel
    RW: Kucherov*, Tarasenko, Wilson, Stone, Laine, Reinhart, P. Kane (IR)
    D: Fox*, Karlsson*, Chabot (IR), Faulk, Martinez
    G:: Vasilevskiy*, Vanecek, Adin, Knight (IR)

* = 2023 keepers

Dobber Sports Sage

rooneypoo wrote:
    In response to prkal8r:

Two points here:

1) Schneider\'s salary will remain on the Ducks\' books (and count against their cap) as long as he is part of the organization, i.e., even if he plays in the AHL. This is because he is over 35 years old, and signed a multi-year deal. This means that ANA absolutely has to move him before the start of the season, either via trade or via re-entry waivers, as you suggested.

2) As for your question: yes, the team that acquires him in a trade would have to bring him through re-entry waivers, and would probably lose him to another team via a re-entry waiver claim, and so be stuck with the cost/cap hit of 1/2 of Schneider\'s salary. That means Burke is going to have to really sweeten the deal to get someone to take this problem off his hands.

What a mess. I hope all this \"Burke is the best GM in the NHL\" nonsense dies down now. First Penner, then Bertuzzi, then this. If his track record over the last 3 years has shown us anyting, it\'s that he is not a responsible GM in this new cap era.
    First of all, great clarification. This is all good information that can get very convaluted and misunderstood. +1 and welcome to the boards. (prkal8r, I\'ll toss you one as well when I reload).

However, regarding Burke, the overwhelming responses I have read recently and within the last year or 2 is that Burke is not the best GM in the NHL. Personally I dont think he is as bad as everyone thinks, but his main flaw is that he buckles under pressure. That\'s not a good sign.

He reacted poorly (and for a longer amt of time than necessary) to the Penner situation. Then, he allowed his players (Niedermayer/Selanne) to call the shots, when he should have taken action. His lack of leadership forced him to make decisions he thought were necessary at the time (Bertuzzi/Schneider). So, he obviously he has his flaws...but I would say many other GM\'s do as well. Is he the best? Definitely, not. Is he the worst? Probably not either. He does love to be in the spotlight though, and unless you have sound decision making, it\'s usually not good for you. Someone should explain this to him in a simplified, unintrusive manner.
    @tlucarelli on twitter

Dobber Sports Sophomore

rooneypoo wrote:
    In response to prkal8r:

Two points here:

And you forgot the gift he made to the Coyotes last year!
    Unorthodox KeeperH2H. 8 teams

FROLOV ZETTERBERG ERAT
    FILPULLA ROY BROWN
    CARCILLO GETZLAF STEEN
    WOLSKI OSHIE HORTON
    OKPOSO KOPITAR ZHERDEV
    BURROWS CROSBY STAFFORD
    UMBERGER BERGLUND SETOGUCHI
    NILSSON ANTROPOV SELANNE
    BACKLUND

SPACEK PICARD HUET
    JOVANOVSKI JONES BACKSTROM
    VISHNOVSKY TYUTIN LUNDQVIST
    MARKOV ROBIDAS GARON
    BURNS OHLUND ELLIOT
    CARLE WAGNER
    YANDLE SALMELA
    RUSSELL

Dobber Sports Sage

MilleFeuilles wrote:
    And you forgot the gift he made to the Coyotes last year!
    Call me Captain Skeptic, but I\'ve watched Bryzgalov for the majority of his career. One good season as #1 in Phoenix doesnt fool me one bit. He is a very shaky goaltender. I think he\'ll flop more than people expect this coming season, which is why I have avoided him at all costs. Only time will tell, but if he does flop, don\'t say dub didnt warn you!
    @tlucarelli on twitter

Dobber Sports Sophomore

you may be right. Ihave not seen him play much.
    Unorthodox KeeperH2H. 8 teams

FROLOV ZETTERBERG ERAT
    FILPULLA ROY BROWN
    CARCILLO GETZLAF STEEN
    WOLSKI OSHIE HORTON
    OKPOSO KOPITAR ZHERDEV
    BURROWS CROSBY STAFFORD
    UMBERGER BERGLUND SETOGUCHI
    NILSSON ANTROPOV SELANNE
    BACKLUND

SPACEK PICARD HUET
    JOVANOVSKI JONES BACKSTROM
    VISHNOVSKY TYUTIN LUNDQVIST
    MARKOV ROBIDAS GARON
    BURNS OHLUND ELLIOT
    CARLE WAGNER
    YANDLE SALMELA
    RUSSELL

Dobber Sports Pro

As people have stated, because he signed his contract when older than 35, a demotion would not clear Schneider\'s cap hit off the Ducks overall cap.

However, Schneider having cleared waivers does not yet mean he has been assigned to the AHL. What this means that it gives the Ducks the right to assign him to their AHL affiliate (or loan him to clubs in other leagues under certain conditions), at will, over the next 30 days, or until Schneider has played 10 NHL games, whichever comes first. Only after they actually assign him elsewhere will he have to pass through re-entry waivers to be recalled to the NHL team, and if they do not actually assign him elsewhere within those 30 days/10 games the waiver clearance will simply have expired, forcing them to pass him through waivers again to demote him.

So for the time being, Burke can still keep him on the NHL team\'s roster if he so chooses; and any GM who trades for Schneider can still put him on their NHL roster once they acquire him without re-entry waivers. Acquiring GMs will need to pass him through re-entry waivers only if Burke actually assigns Schneider to Manchester.

Also, I think - though I am not 100% certain - that there is no requirement of re-entry waivers during the summer, which means until the 12th day before the start of the regular season.

Article 13 of the CBA is the relevant one here, but it doesn\'t have all the answers.
    Rebulding in two lifetime keepers, squads to follow ...

Dobber Sports Pro

All this is, therefore, is a message from the other 29 GMs that if he wants to ditch Schneider, he\'ll have to pay someone like Philly paid LA to take Gauthier off their hands (was it a 2nd rounder or a 3rd rounder?)
    Rebulding in two lifetime keepers, squads to follow ...

Dobber Sports Apprentice

great info guys, thanks!

I tried dishing out Karma to everyone, but apparently it`s a time dated reload thing... will come back to it once loaded.

Yeah - I think Burke is going to have to pay someone to take him off his hands.

Being in T.O. I really hope we find another solution than Burke.

Otherwise the Leafs will end up with Bert, Morrison and both Neidermayers next year...
    8 Team Auction league: 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench, 5 farm. $1,000,000 salary cap, live auction annually, 3 year contracts, RFA after contract expiry. Player goes back into the draft, manager who keeps an RFA has the opportunity to match the highest bid. Keep 15 total PLUS farm team. Farm team counts towards your cap.
    Stats: G,A, PPP, PIM, +/-, Shots, GWG - W, SV%, SO

C: Backstrom $72, Bergeron $30, Malkin $160, TJ $5
    LW: Forsberg $5, Schwartz $5, Schenn $16, JVR $15
    RW: Wheeler $67
    D: Doughty $58, Weber $48, Vatenan $7
    G: Schneider $5 Dubnyck $5

Farm: Gibson $13, Drouin $19, S. Bennett $13, Hubs $23

Dobber Sports Ninja

prkal8r wrote:
    Yeah - I think Burke is going to have to pay someone to take him off his hands.
    I wonder if Edmonton has some cap space for another offensive defenseman (like they don\'t have enough with Souray, Visnovsky and Gilbert)?

Wouldn\'t that be a fun phone call to listen in on?

Hey Kevin, sorry about being such a whiny bitch to the media last year. Anywho (just can\'t see Burke saying anywho), I was just wondering if you could help me out a little? I\'m really in a bind here.

click

Hello? Kevin, you still there? Kevin?
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I would pay money to listen to that call
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

What was the main difference between the Mogilny situation in New Jersey and the Schnieder situation now?

Didn\'t New Jersey stash Mogilny in the AHL for cap relief? Wasn\'t he over 35 at the time?

I can\'t really remember the situation.

Dobber Sports Ace

Not sure about Mogilny but since Schneider signed the deal when he was over 35, the cap hit sticks whether he is in Anaheim or Iowa. No Selanne in Anaheim unless there is no more Schneider on Anaheim\'s books, plain and simple
    20 team h2h (multi-cat) dynasty league, 1st season
    C: Getzlaf, MacKinnon, Eakin, Backlund, Schroeder, Bjugstad, Miller, Gaustad
    LW: M Foligno, Wilson, Tatar, Bailey, Palat
    RW: Ovechkin, Voracek, Frattin, Coyle, Clutterbuck
    D: Barrie, Del Zotto, Brodin, Vatanen, Gudas, Donovan, Murphy, Hamonic, Grossmann, Michalek
    G: Pavelec, Schneider, Enroth