Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Top 100 Toronto Maple Leafs of all time.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Default Top 100 Toronto Maple Leafs of all time.

IMO, not a very flattering list considering its a 100 year old franchise. Tiger Williams, Brian McCabe and Eddie Shack to name 3. I would think Montreal's list would be impressive though.

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/10/14...st-maple-leafs

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: Top 100 Toronto Maple Leafs of all time.

My fave at #13, Dougie Gilmour!! Damn you Wayne Gretzky and your high stick...

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Padawan

Out of all the Original 6 franchises, Toronto probably has the worst list. Maybe NYR.

10th year Keeper League, Fantrax

14 teams, H2H, keep 10, daily starts
    G (3), A (2), +/- (1), PIM (0.1), PPP (1), FOW (0.1), FOL (-0.1), BLK (0.5), HAT (3), W (5), SO (3), SV (0.1), GA (-0.5)

C (3) - Schmaltz (LW, RW), Mercer (RW), Norris (IR), Domi (LW), T. Johnson (RW), Nosek (LW)
    LW (3) - Keller (RW), Hagel, McCann (C), Zacha (LW), Kubalik (RW), N. Foligno (IR)
    RW (3) - Fiala (LW), Vilardi (C), Ehlers (LW), Kakko
    D (4) - Theodore, Orlov, Grzelcyk, T. van Riemsdyk, Clifton, Skjei, Weegar
    Util (1)
    G (1) - Montembault, Allen, Halak

Dobber Sports Master

I didn't even know you could populate 100 "great" Maple Leafs. There might have been 2 or 3 "great" ones and a handful of really good ones...Tie Domi at 93 and JVR on this list makes me laugh.. JVR isn't even 30 yet and has played a handful of seasons.. What a sad franchise..
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    I didn't even know you could populate 100 "great" Maple Leafs. There might have been 2 or 3 "great" ones and a handful of really good ones...Tie Domi at 93 and JVR on this list makes me laugh.. JVR isn't even 30 yet and has played a handful of seasons.. What a sad franchise..
    I don't disagree that JVR is a laughable inclusion here, but to say that someone who "isn't even 30 yet and has played a handful of seasons" shouldn't be included would suggest that guys like Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane shouldn't be included either. I think they would have a spot among any team's top 100.

G (3), A (2), +/- (1), PIM (0.1), PPP (1), FOW (0.1), FOL (-0.1), BLK (0.5), HAT (3), W (5), SO (3), SV (0.1), GA (-0.5)

C (3) - Schmaltz (LW, RW), Mercer (RW), Norris (IR), Domi (LW), T. Johnson (RW), Nosek (LW)
    LW (3) - Keller (RW), Hagel, McCann (C), Zacha (LW), Kubalik (RW), N. Foligno (IR)
    Util (1)

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by The Guvnah View Post
    I don't disagree that JVR is a laughable inclusion here, but to say that someone who "isn't even 30 yet and has played a handful of seasons" shouldn't be included would suggest that guys like Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane shouldn't be included either. I think they would have a spot among any team's top 100.
    Yeah sure, but these lists are always a little weird.. even guys like Kane or Toews, you could argue could move up or down significantly by the time their careers are done.. so to give them a placement in a historical list, when history isn't done yet, is a little strange to me. It would be like ranking Connor McDavid in the greatest Oilers of all time... A little pointless, at this point, even if he ends up in the top 3 by the time it's all said and done.... no?
    Blades of Steel

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Padawan

Yeah sure, but these lists are always a little weird.. even guys like Kane or Toews, you could argue could move up or down significantly by the time their careers are done.. so to give them a placement in a historical list, when history isn't done yet, is a little strange to me. It would be like ranking Connor McDavid in the greatest Oilers of all time... A little pointless, at this point, even if he ends up in the top 3 by the time it's all said and done.... no?
    No. Connor McDavid hasn't done anything.

Util (1)

Dobber Sports Master

No. Connor McDavid hasn't done anything.
    Neither has JVR lol....
    Blades of Steel

Saros, Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Padawan

Neither has JVR lol....
    Yes, but your criteria for JVR being laughable was "under 30 and only played a handful of seasons".

Patrick Kane was drafted the same year. He's been on 3 Stanley Cup winners, won a Hart Trophy, an Art Ross Trophy, a Conn Smythe Trophy, and a Calder Trophy. What franchise's top 100 list would he not be a legitimate part of?

Util (1)

Dobber Sports Master

Yes, but your criteria for JVR being laughable was "under 30 and only played a handful of seasons".

Patrick Kane was drafted the same year. He's been on 3 Stanley Cup winners, won a Hart Trophy, an Art Ross Trophy, a Conn Smythe Trophy, and a Calder Trophy. What franchise's top 100 list would he not be a legitimate part of?
    I never said Kane wouldn't be part of a top 100 list... I said placing someone on any list before their body of work is complete seems silly..since the ranking will change so much, especially the longer the player has to play, is all...
    Blades of Steel

Saros, Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Padawan

I never said Kane wouldn't be part of a top 100 list... I said placing someone on any list before their body of work is complete seems silly..since the ranking will change so much, especially the longer the player has to play, is all...
    I can't agree with that. Crosby would easily be on the list of top Penguins players of all time. Same with Ovechkin for the Capitals. Should JVR be there for the Leafs? I'm not sure, but I'm not excluding him because of his age.

Util (1)

Dobber Sports Star

Any time you are compiling a list of the best career players, you are going to have to consider players who aren't finished their careers yet. The criteria for JVR being considered on this list should not be the length of his career so far, it should be what his contributions have been so far.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Master

I'll be honest, I thought this was just another Austin Matthews thread...
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Grand Master

So we should only make this list once the NHL folds? It's a fluid, always changing list.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I can't agree with that. Crosby would easily be on the list of top Penguins players of all time. Same with Ovechkin for the Capitals. Should JVR be there for the Leafs? I'm not sure, but I'm not excluding him because of his age.
    I completely disagree with this,

Easily? They did have Mario Lemieux,

Whether which one is better, that is up for debate, but not easily,

If Crosby didn't play another game in his life, would he be ahead of Lemieux? I would say no