Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14

Thread: 2016 World Cup Thread

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: 2016 World Cup Thread

I wouldn't say that Russia never had a chance, but Team Canada are monsters. They are in a league by themselves. Its still possible that other teams beat Canada, but I'd say they have a minimum of 85% chance at winning no matter who the competition is.

The Great One

The problem you have with the Marchand analysis, same with some others as well, the Bruins are no team Camada for offensive support - Hence you could never put a team like that together in today's cap world
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by GavinC View Post
    Yeah I think it may have needed some context/translation, given it was said in Finnish to Finnish reporters, could have easily been just pointing out that this was probably his last chance to play for Finland. Upcoming talent, his age, etc.
    There would be a spot for Komarov on the Finnish team, that's not the issue.

Before the tournament, Komarov said that he has been thinking about not playing for Team Finland anymore because he hasn't been completely healthy for 10 years now. He's constantly having small injuries because of his playing style; you might not notice it because he doesn't miss games, he plays through the injuries. So he wants to focus on the games that are actually paying his salary and spending the little free time he has trying to get his body back to 100%.

After the tournament he basically said that "We'll see what happens but right now I feel like that was it for me (with Team Finland)".

Dobber Sports Superstar

Anyone else think that the Europe overtime goal was kicked in? Sure looked like a kicking motion too. I don't think they spent enough time reviewing that one before declaring it a goal.

The Great One

In totally unsurprising news, US rating for WCOH coverage was terrible. From http://www.si.com/tech-media/2016/09...ential-debate:

If one examines ESPN’s coverage of the World Cup of Hockey using ratings as the singular metric, the production has been somewhat of a bust. The U.S. team getting eliminated last Tuesday ended any hopes of a momentum push for the tournament. The high for the tournament so far? The Canada-U.S. round-robin game drew 766,000 viewers on ESPN. For context, the 766,000 viewers would rank as a top 10 regular season game on NBCSN. As for comparing it to Olympic hockey, the U.S.-Canada at the Sochi Olympics drew 4 million viewers at noon ET on a Friday on NBCSN. A game between Team Europe and Canada last Wednesday drew just 287,000 viewers on ESPN2 from 8:00 p.m.-10:38 p.m.

“I don’t know it is a disappointment because I don’t know we had any expectations with great accuracy attached to them given the fact the World Cup of Hockey was last held in 2004 and it’s a preseason tournament so you are attempting to get people interested in hockey prior to the season,” said Magnus.

Naturally, ESPN execs had hoped Team USA would advance further given it would have added eyeballs at the end of the tournament.

“We have to do deal with the cards we get dealt,” Magnus said. “We are just overjoyed to present meaningful hockey again on ESPN even if just for a couple of weeks. I think the viewership has been fine and I am looking forward to a compelling finish.”

On the issue of whether the NHL must be on ESPN for relevance, this tournament will not add to that narrative. But the key word is must. The NHL having ESPN as a secondary partner behind NBC would be very good for the league and potentially good for viewers too. Magnus said he is hopeful that when the NHL television rights come up for bid again after the 2020–21 season, his company “will have a shot.”

Said Magnus: “Everything I say on this subject is qualified that it is many years in the future but I will say we have really enjoyed rekindling our relationship with the NHL on this property. Obviously, our investment in BAMTech puts us into business with the league on their digital properties. We also have an existing international relationship with them and this was a game-changer in terms of our relationship with the league. We are hopeful that we will have a shot when that time comes. There is more than one way to divvy up rights in today’s world.”
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Titan

I went to yesterday’s game. I couldn’t believe how much it felt like a Leafs vs Panthers game. it was so quiet. I think because, as bad as it is to blame an underdog, the fact they were playing Europe. If it was Canada vs Russia, that would have been the best outcome (or USA) they could have hoped for. Tickets for Game 2, where it could finish, are going for like $65usd for upper bowls…. So cheap
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Veteran

Its starting to be pretty pathetic. Yes Canada is head and shoulders above everybody else, but its clear that we are one of the only countries that cares about hockey. The most important and popular sport in the world, soccer, we are absolutely pitiful in. So there's not much to be proud of.
    10 Team Limited Keeper (Keep 8) Points Only
    SALARY CAP (Player Salaries) League
    20 Player Teams = 12 Fwd 6 D 2 G

My team: ???

Dobber Sports Monster

I think this Canada vs Europe matchup is exactly what the NHL/PA deserve. The team should never have been there in the first place! No offense to the players on the team who obviously came to play, but I just don't care enough about this finals because there's no rivalry or history.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow View Post
    I think this Canada vs Europe matchup is exactly what the NHL/PA deserve. The team should never have been there in the first place! No offense to the players on the team who obviously came to play, but I just don't care enough about this finals because there's no rivalry or history.
    The whole tournament is a gimmick.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Luffy D Monkey View Post
    Its starting to be pretty pathetic. Yes Canada is head and shoulders above everybody else, but its clear that we are one of the only countries that cares about hockey. The most important and popular sport in the world, soccer, we are absolutely pitiful in. So there's not much to be proud of.
    Have you seen the attendance? Tough to make the argument Canada cares about this either. I don't

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow View Post
    That's the reason you don't care? I doubt that. Did anyone care about the US game? No. Did anyone care about the Russia game? No. It's a fake, made up tournament. Lots of players didn't care to go. It means absolutely nothing. That's why nobody cares.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Luffy D Monkey View Post
    this is what i tell people as well when they say they did something great. i tell them that they are not the best soccer player in the world therefore they should not be proud of what they accomplished. usually they just nod and say 'yah you're right, brazil is the greatest country on the planet and i should move there'

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Have you seen the attendance? Tough to make the argument Canada cares about this either. I don't

That's the reason you don't care? I doubt that. Did anyone care about the US game? No. Did anyone care about the Russia game? No. It's a fake, made up tournament. Lots of players didn't care to go. It means absolutely nothing. That's why nobody cares.
    I don't much care about it either but all tournaments are "made up" at some point. It's not "fake". It's just not established yet. They did some things right at least, in trying to get rival countries to play against each other. But the decision to make a Team NA and Team Europe...I mean isn't this supposed to be an international tournament? Are hockey fans in unrepresented European countries going to be like "Yay, my continent rules"? Canada is not playing against the best of Europe right now. They're playing against a completely random team of odds and ends. And for Team NA, don't you think the Americans would have done a lot better if they could have put a guy like Gaudreau on their national squad? It's just boneheaded and at that point it's arguably not even a true international hockey tournament. They created a scenario where it would be possible for no actual nation to win an international trophy. It was theoretically possible for the final to have no national teams in it.
    10-team H2H points keeper league, keep 4
    G: 2, A: 2, SOG: 0.15, Hit: 0.15, Block: 0.15, W: 3.5, Sv: 0.025, SO: 6
    7 F, 3 D, 1 G

2022-2023 Roster:
    F: Connor McDavid, Steven Stamkos, Artemi Panarin, Jack Hughes, Mark Stone, Josh Norris, Tyler Bertuzzi, PL Dubois, Sam Bennett, Tom Wilson (IR)
    D: Kris Letang, Drew Doughty, Brent Burns, Shayne Gostisbehere
    G: Ilya Sorokin, Thatcher Demko

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    I went to yesterday’s game. I couldn’t believe how much it felt like a Leafs vs Panthers game. it was so quiet. I think because, as bad as it is to blame an underdog, the fact they were playing Europe. If it was Canada vs Russia, that would have been the best outcome (or USA) they could have hoped for. Tickets for Game 2, where it could finish, are going for like $65usd for upper bowls…. So cheap
    nhl training camps have already started, team na is gonzo, team canada is utterly destroying everyone while yawning and looking bored doing it, and the best of 3 idea is a total flop. the nhl gave it a go and it failed. thats fine time to move on.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    a pool for this would be awesome!

Crosby is on a line with Bergeron and Marchand... I feel like this is wasting Crosby's talent.
    You were saying?
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24