Thread: Cam Newton the Players Tribune

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Cam Newton the Players Tribune

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/cam...nfl-pov-video/

Great videos from Cam Newton. Hope to see him take home the Super Bowl this year.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: Cam Newton the Players Tribune

thanks for sharing! I also hope he wins the Superbowl this year!

Dobber Sports Titan

I hate him so much as a player. You don't dance in an opponents face for how long he does. do your quick dance and get to the sidelines. He should have been called for the delay of game so many times last yr. Let me Dab, shuffle, do high fives with my whole OL, then move semi to the sidelines, oh wait i need to dance with Stewart now.

He needs to grow up for me to like him, and i dont even think i will then. I want the coach to be like coach carter and tell him he doesnt need to celebrate after every play. If i was a defender i'd celebrate right over his body after i sacked him. I'd do the Clay Matthews flex with him on the ground between my legs.

I just don't like how he OVER celebrates. I love the #makebaseballfunagain thing, but damn Cam, keep the cellys to under 2minutes when you're up by 4 scores in November.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    I hate him so much as a player. You don't dance in an opponents face for how long he does. do your quick dance and get to the sidelines. He should have been called for the delay of game so many times last yr. Let me Dab, shuffle, do high fives with my whole OL, then move semi to the sidelines, oh wait i need to dance with Stewart now.

He needs to grow up for me to like him, and i dont even think i will then. I want the coach to be like coach carter and tell him he doesnt need to celebrate after every play. If i was a defender i'd celebrate right over his body after i sacked him. I'd do the Clay Matthews flex with him on the ground between my legs.

I just don't like how he OVER celebrates. I love the #makebaseballfunagain thing, but damn Cam, keep the cellys to under 2minutes when you're up by 4 scores in November.
    That's obviously a common complaint about him, but SO many NFLers excessively celebrate. In fact, most defensive players celebrate after every freakin tackle/sack/defended pass/what have you. Can't pigeonhole Cam on it. He summed it up nicely last year: If you don't like it, keep him out of the endzone. It's not nearly as excessive as you're alluding to, either... he just celebrates often because he constantly dominates. Excessive celebrating is a league-wide thing now though. I agree it is annoying.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by rtstr View Post
    That's obviously a common complaint about him, but SO many NFLers excessively celebrate. In fact, most defensive players celebrate after every freakin tackle/sack/defended pass/what have you. Can't pigeonhole Cam on it. He summed it up nicely last year: If you don't like it, keep him out of the endzone. It's not nearly as excessive as you're alluding to, either... he just celebrates often because he constantly dominates. Excessive celebrating is a league-wide thing now though. I agree it is annoying.
    There's a difference from a Clay Matthews Flex to what Cam was doing. If Cam did his Dab and then high fived his way to the side lines i wouldn't have a problem. It's the fact he would drop about 15 dance moves while still in the end zone. If he dials it back to where when they come back from the replay of the TD and he's still in the end-zone, i'll hate him less.

I dont mind cellys, football has some creative ones, but keep it to one move, not the amount Newton did. And he would celebrate an easy 1 yr rush in when blowing out a team. He's very talented, just not mature yet. Doesnt help he's playing a position that is stereo-typically run by a calming presence and he's the complete opposite of that.

Dobber Sports Pro

There's a difference from a Clay Matthews Flex to what Cam was doing. If Cam did his Dab and then high fived his way to the side lines i wouldn't have a problem. It's the fact he would drop about 15 dance moves while still in the end zone. If he dials it back to where when they come back from the replay of the TD and he's still in the end-zone, i'll hate him less.

I dont mind cellys, football has some creative ones, but keep it to one move, not the amount Newton did. And he would celebrate an easy 1 yr rush in when blowing out a team. He's very talented, just not mature yet. Doesnt help he's playing a position that is stereo-typically run by a calming presence and he' s the complete opposite of that.
    This makes me question how much you've actually seen Cam Newton outside of ESPN and clickbait articles around Super Bowl week. He doesn't celebrate any more than Antonio Brown, Gronk, Aqib Talib, Dez. And not even remotely close to the excessive celebrating of former stud WRs like TO, Chad Johnson, Randy Moss. Or Ray Lewis. If you take some time to look into NFL celebration fines, you'll see Cam is not even on the list. The majority of his TD celebration consists of giving the ball to a little kid. Hardly offensive IMO. To me, his excessive cockiness is the issue, moreso than his celebrating. Celebrations are a positive aspect of sports that I think these athletes have earned, and also give additional entertainment value to the game.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Exceptional athlete, Cam.
    Don't really care for him myself... sort of me-centric Lebron v2.

Personally, I like more humble role-models who don't constantly talk about how close they are to "the greatest"s.
    That's a big turn-off for me. Just play the game. Let others talk about your greatness.

Dobber Sports Titan

This makes me question how much you've actually seen Cam Newton outside of ESPN and clickbait articles around Super Bowl week. He doesn't celebrate any more than Antonio Brown, Gronk, Aqib Talib, Dez. And not even remotely close to the excessive celebrating of former stud WRs like TO, Chad Johnson, Randy Moss. If you take some time to look into NFL celebration fines, you'll see Cam is not even on the list. The majority of his TD celebration consists of giving the ball to a little kid. Hardly offensive IMO. To me, his excessive cockiness is the issue, moreso than his celebrating.
    http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...-with-TD-dance

dances in someones face after he's told to not dance (likely) by the opposition, after a 1yr TD run in a game that's not close. I watched that game, wasn't close at all (despite the score).

http://www.12up.com/posts/3606143-ca...ating-too-much

Now it's hurting his team.

I'm fine with celebrating, and that dumb mom who said it was inappropriate for kids eyes i dont like. But he's got to dial it back, in my eyes. I do watch football, and not just click bait. Gronk does his one spike, hugs his teammates as he's walking off the field. I also wasn't a fan of the excessive celebrations that those listed did, and my favourite out of that bunch was Moss's mooning, and that was really quick.

Brown is on the fine list because of he used the goal post in his celebration, not the longevity of it. The majority of Newton's NZ dances are, he scores, he dances and dabs, high fives his teammates, hugs the other half, then goes running for the football to give to a kid. Give the kid the football first and do the other stuff after and see how quickly he gets rung up for a delay of game/excessive celebration penalty. No ref does it now because the heat they'd get for penalizing someone giving a football to a kid.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Exceptional athlete, Cam.
    Don't really care for him myself...

Personally, I like more humble role-models who don't constantly talk about how close they are to "the greatest"s.
    That's a big turn-off for me. Just play the game. Let others talk about your greatness.
    Agreed

Not a fan at all.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Pro

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...-with-TD-dance

dances in someones face after he's told to not dance (likely) by the opposition, after a 1yr TD run in a game that's not close. I watched that game, wasn't close at all (despite the score).

http://www.12up.com/posts/3606143-ca...ating-too-much

Now it's hurting his team.

I'm fine with celebrating, and that dumb mom who said it was inappropriate for kids eyes i dont like. But he's got to dial it back, in my eyes. I do watch football, and not just click bait. Gronk does his one spike, hugs his teammates as he's walking off the field. I also wasn't a fan of the excessive celebrations that those listed did, and my favourite out of that bunch was Moss's mooning, and that was really quick.

Brown is on the fine list because of he used the goal post in his celebration, not the longevity of it. The majority of Newton's NZ dances are, he scores, he dances and dabs, high fives his teammates, hugs the other half, then goes running for the football to give to a kid. Give the kid the football first and do the other stuff after and see how quickly he gets rung up for a delay of game/excessive celebration penalty. No ref does it now because the heat they'd get for penalizing someone giving a football to a kid.

Sure. All fair points. I think what it comes down to for me, is that I find this to be a rather petty reason to "hate" someone. It's like saying "Campbells soup is delicious, but the can is ugly so I refuse to eat it". Cam is an athlete that the NFL has never seen, ever. It's a shame that people refuse to appreciate his greatness (I hate using that word, but it's true) because they think he celebrates too much. This is a quarterback who has the potential to do things that will be talked about for generations. I'm going to enjoy it and appreciate his ability. To me he can celebrate all he wants-- he's the only human being on the planet that can do what he does. I'd celebrate too, probably.

Definitely appreciate what you're saying, though.

Dobber Sports Titan

Sure. All fair points. I think what it comes down to for me, is that I find this to be a rather petty reason to "hate" someone. It's like saying "Campbells soup is delicious, but the can is ugly so I refuse to eat it"

Definitely appreciate what you're saying, though.
    it's definitely personal opinion. I know what i'm saying doesn't click for everyone, but it does for me. it may be the hockey upbringing where you really only do a celly if it's an amazing goal, or your first. But the cheering (ovi like), doesn't bother me. This to me is like if Patty Kane did his knee slide on every goal. Or Bautista did that bat flip on every home run.

But I did enjoy the "dont like me doing it stop me" comment. But i hope someone shuts them out like Houston so Watt can make a comment about it. But it won't happen because Watt wouldn't comment on something like that.

I'm hoping (for his popularity and the fact he can turn league villain quickly) that the presseason penalty matures him up.

Dobber Sports Pro

it's definitely personal opinion. I know what i'm saying doesn't click for everyone, but it does for me. it may be the hockey upbringing where you really only do a celly if it's an amazing goal, or your first. But the cheering (ovi like), doesn't bother me. This to me is like if Patty Kane did his knee slide on every goal. Or Bautista did that bat flip on every home run.

But I did enjoy the "dont like me doing it stop me" comment. But i hope someone shuts them out like Houston so Watt can make a comment about it. But it won't happen because Watt wouldn't comment on something like that.

I'm hoping (for his popularity and the fact he can turn league villain quickly) that the presseason penalty matures him up.
    Yea, I think the hockey culture certainly rubs off on how we evaluate the NFL culture. It's apples an oranges. One is a blood-sweat-tears sport, the other is essentially an entertainment corporation.

And I think you are right that we see him turn a corner with his maturation this year. It's the natural next step in the evolution of an elite media-magnet athlete , if they're going to continue to grow.