Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Kucherov for OEL

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Kucherov for OEL

Was offered his OEL for my Kucherov.

Factors to consider:

(1) Under the rules in my league, both OEL and Kucherov can be kept until 2019-2020 season.

(2) If I don't make the trade, Weber would be my D keeper for one more season and then I'd have to prioritize drafting a top defencemen in the draft for 2017-2018. I'm not nearly as down on Weber as some are but the change to MTL has me wondering what his potential is under Therrien.

(3) If I accept the trade, I still have either Wheeler or Simmonds as a RW keeper headed into this season. I had ranked them Wheeler>Simmonds>Kucherov based on my league stat settings.

Do I accept the trade as offered or do I counter asking for OEL and a second round pick for Kucherov and a fourth round pick in an attempt to capitalize on Kucherov's fantasy darling status?

Thanks!
    WINNER! WINNER! CHICKEN DINNER! (2006, 2011, 2015)
    Yahoo! Limited Keeper (Keep 1C, 1LW, 1RW, 1D, 1G annually; no player is permitted to be protected as a keeper for a period longer than three consecutive years) 10-team H2H League/Daily Starts (# in brackets)
    Centre (2): Scheifele, Seguin, Toews
    Right Wing (2): Laine (LW/RW) Lindholm (C/RW), Gallagher
    Left Wing (2): Tkachuk, Mantha (LW/RW), Lee, Gusev
    Defense (4): Ristolainen, Doughty, Gustafsson, Gostisbehere, Byfuglien
    Utility (1): Haula (C/LW)
    Goalie (2): Andersen, Dubnyk, Raanta
    IR:
    Skater Stats: G, A, P, +/-, PPP, PIMS, SOG, FOW, Hits, BKS
    Goalie Stats: W, SV%, GAA, SO

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: Kucherov for OEL

I had ranked them Wheeler>Simmonds>Kucherov based on my league stat settings.

If that is your ranking, then I would make the move. giving up your 3rd rw foir a top end D then perfect.

I am not sure how setting would lead to Kucherov being less than Wheeler and Simmonds... but you know your league best!

Dobber Sports Titan

In your case I would take OEL for Kuch, and if you can get the pick thrown in, then do it. Maybe just a 3rd rounder for your fourth though. A second might be too much.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Padawan

I'd say no brainer in a keep one per position, where you already rate 2 guys above Kuch, plus I like OEL over Weber.
    So get it done?
    Good Luck.
    16 team league, Weekly changes
    32 Players play 20, 2 Goalies, 6 Def, 12 Fwd
    2*G,1*a,+/-*.5,.2* pim
    4*W,-1*L,1*OTL,5*SO
    17 Keepers
    Keepers marked with*
    auto protect under 40 Games
    Goal
    Vejmelka, Markstrom, Forsberg, Alnefelt,
    Ukko-Pekka Luukkoonen
    Defence
    Slavin, Pietrangelo, Girard, Hague, Joseph,
    Matheson, Brannstrom, Jokiharju, Parayko
    Forward
    Gaudreau*, Tuch, Garland, Mangiapane, L’Hereux
    Aho*, McCann, Necas, Stephenson, Zacha,
    Marchessault*, Stone, Reilly Smith, Hall,
    Giroux, Landeskog, Rodrigues, Reilly Smith, Yamamoto

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I made a similar trade last season. I had Kucherov and Simmonds as my RW and traded to get OEL.

My league counts G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, HIT, SOG and Simmonds finished last year in the top 15 for that league! I traded Simmonds for OEL and an upgraded draft pick. I did not need the grit points from Simmonds as I already have Byfuglien for those stats. I kept Kucherov for his points upside.

SImmonds is a stud like Byfuglien, Grit plus scoring each and every year. Lots of Philly guys have been up and down points wise buy Simmonds has got his work done. In your league I would be glad to hold him over Kucherov if you can miss out on his grit points. OEL is top notch D and he can have 100 PIM value to offset losing Simmonds too!

I would do this trade, the 2nd round pick would be nice return too!

Steve
    10 Team Yahoo Roto Keeper:Keep 6 each year
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 2G, 5BN

G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, HIT
    W, GAA, SV%, SO

Keepers in Bold:

RW: Kucherov
    G: Helly

Quote Originally Posted by hipcheck View Post
    I made a similar trade last season. I had Kucherov and Simmonds as my RW and traded to get OEL.

My league counts G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, HIT, SOG and Simmonds finished last year in the top 15 for that league! I traded Simmonds for OEL and an upgraded draft pick. I did not need the grit points from Simmonds as I already have Byfuglien for those stats. I kept Kucherov for his points upside.

SImmonds is a stud like Byfuglien, Grit plus scoring each and every year. Lots of Philly guys have been up and down points wise buy Simmonds has got his work done. In your league I would be glad to hold him over Kucherov if you can miss out on his grit points. OEL is top notch D and he can have 100 PIM value to offset losing Simmonds too!

I would do this trade, the 2nd round pick would be nice return too!

Steve
    Not sure what you mean by "if you can miss out on his grit points".

I'm also not sure why OEL had such a spike in PIMs last season. Any theories?
    Yahoo! Limited Keeper (Keep 1C, 1LW, 1RW, 1D, 1G annually; no player is permitted to be protected as a keeper for a period longer than three consecutive years) 10-team H2H League/Daily Starts (# in brackets)
    IR:

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by markpiel View Post
    Not sure what you mean by "if you can miss out on his grit points".

I'm also not sure why OEL had such a spike in PIMs last season. Any theories?
    I think he means the fact that you are missing out on hits/blks/pims ('grit points" - first time I've heard it too) if you were to take the Kucherov side.

As for why the PIMs spiked, I would suspect it had to do with having to shoulder even more responsibility with Yandle gone, and thus taking more risks and making more mistakes.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    I think he means the fact that you are missing out on hits/blks/pims ('grit points" - first time I've heard it too) if you were to take the Kucherov side.

As for why the PIMs spiked, I would suspect it had to do with having to shoulder even more responsibility with Yandle gone, and thus taking more risks and making more mistakes.
    Thanks for the translation. I get the meaning now.

Was OEL paired with Yandle or was it the case that without Yandle he saw more ice-time, ran out of gas a bit, and over extended (hence the mistakes/risks)?

Does the Gologoski signing introduce the stability that was lacking last year? If so, the theory would be his PIMs might regress to the norm (which has been around 50 PIMs/season for his career).
    IR:

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by markpiel View Post
    Thanks for the translation. I get the meaning now.

Was OEL paired with Yandle or was it the case that without Yandle he saw more ice-time, ran out of gas a bit, and over extended (hence the mistakes/risks)?

Does the Gologoski signing introduce the stability that was lacking last year? If so, the theory would be his PIMs might regress to the norm (which has been around 50 PIMs/season for his career).
    No problem. I tend to speak a lot of random hockey language styles

OEL played some with Yandle, and some without. It was partially the fact that there wasn't another solid pairing to shoulder the load, and in the other case, he didn't have someone as talented as he was on the ice to have an outlet to, and be able to handle himself (Yandle). So just generally not having as much support.

Goli is a point that I should have covered as well. He will definitely help, along with the evolution of Murphy, Stone, DeAngelo, etc. But none of them are a Yandle, so I don't expect the PIMs to just be a complete blip on the radar.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Grit points, as in, the guy plays with some grit to his game. Yes BLKS, PIMS, HITS!

OEL is a top notch D in your format who is becoming one of the most well rounded D to have in Roto formats

As far as his PIM totals: I am not sure he can continue this pace. He has averaged about 0.6 PIM per game over his career and SPIKED @ 1.4 PIM per game last year. He finished in the top 20 basically (21st) among all players. In this list there are guys like (Gudas, Chris Neil, Dorsett, Tom Wilson, Tootoo) Not really guys you want on your roster. He was 6th in PIM points of all Defenders.

If you are trading Simmonds for a Defender, OEL is a great person to target! He is about the most complete multi cat defender out there:

2015-16 GPG APG PIM PG SOG PG HIT PG

Byfuglien 0.23 0.41 1.46 3.04 2.74

OEL 0.29 0.45 1.28 3.04 2.05

I do not think anybody who has ever plotted Yandle on a player usage chart would say that someone had to shoulder the load left behind from Yandles ice time. This guy is the Mike Ribero of Defenders! If anything OEL was put into position to take some more OZ starts and extra power play time that was needed after Yandle hit the market. Even more reason to make a move on OEL. he is getting way better chances on a team that is young and improving right now. Yandle produced several 50 point seasons on Basement dwelling AZ teams

W, GAA, SV%, SO

Keepers in Bold:

...I'm really starting to like these arguments in favour of making this trade and landing OEL!
    IR:

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by hipcheck View Post
    I do not think anybody who has ever plotted Yandle on a player usage chart would say that someone had to shoulder the load left behind from Yandles ice time. This guy is the Mike Ribero of Defenders! If anything OEL was put into position to take some more OZ starts and extra power play time that was needed after Yandle hit the market. Even more reason to make a move on OEL. he is getting way better chances on a team that is young and improving right now. Yandle produced several 50 point seasons on Basement dwelling AZ teams
    I think the biggest thing about losing Yandle is that it took him away as an outlet option. Just in general made the team poorer, and not as good defensively in the sense that the best defence is a good offence. To me it's one of those things that you can't really plot on a chart. I'm not trying to say Yandle is a good defensive-defenceman, however he is an above NHLer, and that definitely counts for something.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Agreed, Goli should help out the team in that way this year.

W, GAA, SV%, SO

Keepers in Bold:

Dobber Sports Ace

I don't know how kucherov is your 3rd ranked winger. I get the hit/blks cats, but kucherov is elite. But make the trade since you have him rated 3rd. OEL is def upgrade to weber.
    14 team h/h dynasty
    Stats, G A PTS PIM +/- PPP SHP GWG shts TOI hts/blks W sv% gaa SO
    $89 mill salary cap, cap hits
    minors- players under 60 gms, goalies under 30 gms
    3c 3lw 3rw 4d 2util 1goal
    max 23 plyr rstr, 15 minors

CENTERS Kuznetsov, Necas, Petterson, Hughes, D.Strome, Seguin, Hayes, Scheifele
    LEFTWING Gaudreau, Mantha, Forsberg, Keller
    RIGHTWING Kakko , Debrincat, Thomas, Konecny
    D-MEN Girard, Provorov, McCavoy, Dobson, Makar
    GOALIES Gibson, Shesterkin, Sorokin
    IR
    MINORS Brannstrom, Kostin, Dennisenko, Kaprizov, Tippett, Cozens, Tolvanen, Zegras, Byfield , Vessalainen, K.Miller, Kyrou, Janik, Bokk, Lundell, Heinola, Hoglander, Lundkvist

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    I had ranked them Wheeler>Simmonds>Kucherov based on my league stat settings.

If that is your ranking, then I would make the move. giving up your 3rd rw foir a top end D then perfect.

I am not sure how setting would lead to Kucherov being less than Wheeler and Simmonds... but you know your league best!
    Nailed it - if that's how your league ranks the wingers then it's a no brainer
    Experience is the teacher of all things.