Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016/17 Rocky Horror Roto Show

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: 2016/17 Rocky Horror Roto Show

Speaking of horror.... anyone see the goalies I drafted? I remember the moment that (Shoeless?) drafted Mason. It screwed me entirely. Honestly did not think anyone would have drafted him ahead of me. Happened with only one pick in front of mine. It threw my draft for a loop. Also, in the heat of the draft... for an unknown reason (read brainfart) I thought Bernier was Jones' backup. FFS... Realized my mistake as soon as I made the pick. Great fun though.

I'm in the market for a goalie. I've got some HITs to sell. Damn you 1st overall.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Nightmarians - by Pengwin7.

I drafted out of the 11/12 spot in this draft. No disrespect to my fellow GMs, but drafting near the turn means I'd pretty much be thinking about the guy inside me at the turn, 2-time defending champ "temek" (many of us would consider him the KING of fantasy hockey). This works well for me because we've corresponded enough for me to know that temek makes many of his picks based on his own projections - so not only am I considering MY valuations of players, but I have to think about how he might value players... and who is likely to slide.

When you draft near the turn, you can summarize your picks in twos, so I'll do that here for simplicity.

Round 1(11)/2(14). First, here's what I always say... map out your first 2-3 rounds of picks. If you can't do this, you are lazy. You should at least know who you will pick to lead out your team. Here was my top 15 I made: 1.Ovechkin, 2.Crosby, 3.Benn, 4.Pavelski, 5.Holtby, 6.Karlsson, 7.Burns, 8.McDavid, 9.Tavares, 10.Price, 11.Byfuglien, 12.Pat Kane, 13.Giroux, 14.Bergeron. I would say with good confidence that I had planned that I'd be getting Buff/C here... but after 10 picks, Price was on the board and I was 90% confident that temek would want to go with at least 1G (he did last year). So I took Price(11) who I believe to be the only other Tier Ia goalie. Unf, Buff got nabbed at 12/13 along with Cory Schneider - which suggested I did well in stealing Price. It was between Giroux/Bergeron - and even though I actually value Bergeron more highly... I thought he'd be more likely to possibly slide - and as a Flyers fan, choosing Giroux(14) was a no-brainer towards enjoying my season. [Extra Note: I hear people that preach winning so heavily that they'll pass on their fave player - not for me, I do this for fun, I like to follow my fave players.]

Round 3(35)/4(38). I was pretty confident that I'd get to nab Shea Weber here. WTF. He went off the board 25 picks in, even though Yahoo! has him way later. (I speculate that noob-GM had his hands on some FHG rating... have to get an honest answer on that one yet). Anyways - to my shock, 1000+FOW Bergeron(35) (#9 Yahoo fantasy player last year) actually made it all the way here - due to the standard Round 2/3 goalie run. Woo-friggin-hoo. temek went Simmonds/MacKinnon at the turn - which broke my heart because I wanted MacK's FOW from the RW... but with Steven Stamkos(38) on the board, how could I pass. 3C/1G after 4 rounds felt a bit unbalanced for me with C-depth... but I just can't pass on these players.

Round 5(59)/6(62). Jon Toews (59) has become an unsexy pick in fantasy, but he's almost always a top 50 player, a PLUS guy, and a FOW beast. I couldn't pass. I've grown really big on Dylan Larkin (62) - and expect him to be playing center this year with Datsyuk's departure. A lot of guys in fantasy rely on projections, but even the pros sometimes don't capture things like boosting up Larkin's FOW if he's playing center. It's him & Nielsen for DET at C1/C2 and I think Larkin gets PP1 time as well. I think he's gonna be a major surprise this year and I didn't mind reach for him as a RW-eligible player. Certain players hinted at me that the coming year would be their huge breakouts, Larkin is one... another later. After this: 4C/1RW/1G - very unbalanced... and unf, it kept me from a couple really good C-sleepers I was set on way later: Kadri & Bennett.

Round 7(83)/8(86). Without any D roster, I had to jump at them here. There's a Tier II of D-men that go by with Giordano/Hedman/Shatty that lead the way into the guys with really good HIT/BLK. I wanted to get some HIT/BLK in some high SOG/PP D-men... and was willing to reach. I had Muzzin/Risto queued up. I took Jake Muzzin(83) but then felt it was still two rounds early for Risto and that he might slide. After temek's picks of Toffoli/Ladd (he went heavy W power), I saw that Marchand(86) was the last really solid wing on the board, so I took him and was very glad I did. After him went Radulov/JVR/Saad... guys that just don't do it for me. 4C/1LW/1RW/1D/1G

Round 9(107)/10(110). I was bound & determined to get my 2D here. I had three queued up... and the one I REALLY wanted, Risto, was nearing me. Gone at pick #106, one spot before me. Fugg. I think he'll have a good year. I cursed & mentioned how I wanted the guy I affectionately refer to as "Ivan Drago"... and then settled on Seabrook(107) & Suter(11). Yes, two sort of vanilla D that will get me good points, PP, SOG, across the board stats... the D are about to drop off a cliff from having across-the-board stats, so I'm really pleased I got these two. There was the light-weight Ekblad, the non-hitting Keith, the offensively-declining Phaneuf, and the aging Chara in the round after - so I'm really pleased I beat the rush here. 4C/1LW/1RW/3D/1G - and really happy about lack of wings, because I had some really, really good sleepers (IMO) that I could wait another 5-6 rounds on.

Round 11(131)/12(134). While in the mood to load up on D, I decided to keep at it. Two faves of mine: Matt Niskanen(131) and Erik Johnson(134). Both get very solid across-the-board stats. Aside from EJ, my previous 4D are all good PLUS type guys too: LA/CHI/MIN/WAS. These may seem like a "reach" in most leagues, but my own category-ranker put these guys in the top 100. 4C/1LW/1RW/5D/1G.

Round 13(155)/14(158). I felt like another reach here. Much like Larkin, another up&coming young kid that shoots, hits, and should get FOW from the W this season... Elias Lindholm(155). I couldn't wait another round, I expect big things... bigger than Yahoo! projections, so I grabbed him. Between my 3C-workhorses, Larkin, Lindholm, I should be locked in for top three spot in FOW. temek went Bryan Little, Freddie Andersen... and that queued me that I couldn't wait much longer on one of the few remaining NHL #1s... so I went with Mike Smith(158). Smith is an interesting guy because people praised the ARI goalies way too much in the past for the "system" (Tippett/Burke) making the goalies good. Nah, I said Smith was overrated & would crash... and he did. [One of my more controversial posts in the last 3+ years...] Anyways - just gotta clarify that I think the ARI D is MUCH improved and the infusion of youth, IMO, will make this team really dig. I think they will have such hustle that they will steal a LOT of games and I think Mike Smith can be a top 20 goalie! 4C/1LW/2RW/5D/2G

*Life story: I'm a good husband & father. I try pretty hard. My wife, god bless her, gets really upset sometimes for really trivial matters. It was Friday night & I'm obviously having fun with my "fantasy hockey buddies" and she stirs herself into this FRENZY because the kids (age 2 & age 7) ate the rest of the bagged popcorn earlier in the day and she was really planning on enjoying some. So she does that thing, which I think most people will agree is VERY ANNOYING, where somebody makes a comment (to themselves, they say) about how something just isn't going her way. THREE TIMES in a period of 3minutes, she is very clearly being dejected about her completely ruined Friday night because she doesn't have bagged popcorn. After my Smith pick, I tell her I'll get it. I probably haven't run in 3 years. But I ran to the car, sped to the local Walmart, grabbed two bags of bagged popcorn, ran back to the car, sped home, ran in... and got back to the computer 2 picks before I was up. #GoodHusband.*

Round 15(181)/16(184): The fantasy hockey gods rewarded me. Axeman would be proud. With my next pick I went with Nikolaj Ehlers(181). Big year 'comin, yes? I thought it was a steal of a pick here. I'm curious to know if temek had it on his queue. Oddly I had FOUR guys on my queue and temek took two: Anders Lee & Alec Martinez. I actually decided to take a guy that I thought was hanging around too long because of mis-position: Tomas Hertl (C). Hertl's not a C, he's playing LW1... and when he gets that LW, I'll start him in my line-up.'

Round 17/18. I checked temek's team going into this turn... 4 goalies, OK, all set. Dallas DUO: Lehtonen & Niemi - they just can't possibly be as bad as they were last year. Stinks that Seguin is out, TBH-I didn't think about that impact, but I think they are still some good value here. Btw.Price(65starts),Smith(50starts,choose),DAL(50s tarts,choose) - I should have a nice 165 starts. Anyways you slice it, 82gp from a very good team's goalies... in Round 17/18... that's good value.

Round 19/20. Two aging Euros were BY FAR the top Yahoo guys on the board. There is a period in a lot of drafts where people see a name and they think "I'll pass"... and then they do it one round, two rounds, three rounds... and they write it off that they are interested. At SOME POINT, those guys are good value... and Jussi Jokinen & Marian Hossa in round 19/20, I think, are really really good value. So I took them with my wing deficits.

Round 21/22. One thing I trained myself to do is to really learn the "Draft Room". Use the tools, think about how other users are sorting. One thing that does NOT show up, 2014-2015 stats. Just last year. So if a guy is a HIT/BLK beast and there's no projections... and he was injured last year... it won't show up. A PLUS guy that HITs/BLKs like crazy is Brooks Orpik - and I think he's a great guy to really help my stats there. I'd guess my 6D put my top three in BLK. Checkmark there. After temek's pics I took Matt Beleskey. The winger value late in this draft was great. Beleskey was the only big hitter left that gets ANY powerplay time and has high SOG count.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

(2) Jamie Benn (Dal - LW)
    2. (23) Oliver Ekman-Larsson (Ari - D)
    3. (26) Corey Crawford (Chi - G)
    4. (47) Johnny Gaudreau (Cgy - LW)
    5. (50) James Neal (Nsh - RW)
    6. (71) Logan Couture (SJ - C)
    7. (74) Torey Krug (Bos - D)
    8. (95) Brandon Saad (Cls - LW,RW)
    9. (98) Tyson Barrie (Col - D)
    10. (119) Alex Galchenyuk (Mon - C)
    11. (122) Sergei Bobrovsky (Cls - G)
    12. (143) Max Domi (Ari - LW)
    13. (146) Brendan Gallagher (Mon - RW)
    14. (167) Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (Edm - C)
    15. (170) Cam Atkinson (Cls - RW)
    16. (191) Justin Williams (Was - RW)
    17. (194) Alex Goligoski (Ari - D)
    18. (215) Ondrej Pavelec (Wpg - G)
    19. (218) Mattias Ekholm (Nsh - D)
    20. (239) Tyler Myers (Wpg - D)
    21. (242) Victor Rask (Car - C)
    22. (263) Mikkel Boedker (SJ - LW)
    23. (266) Brian Campbell (Chi - D)
    24. (287) Mitchell Marner (Tor - C)
    25. (290) Andre Burakovsky (Was - LW)
    (2) Jamie Benn (Dal - LW) - Ben or Ovy, Ovy or Benn... with the 2nd overall pick I knew I was going with one of these two! And knew that Ovy was likely to go first. No surprises here and I took Benn 2nd overall.

2. (23) Oliver Ekman-Larsson (Ari - D) With D and Goalies flying off the board I knew I needed to get one of them close to this turn so I didn't fall too far behind in either of them. There was a couple goalies that I would be okay with and OEL was the D man I wanted most so I took him.

3. (26) Corey Crawford (Chi - G) AS per above I needed a goalie here and decided Crawford would be the best option.

4. (47) Johnny Gaudreau (Cgy - LW) Gaudrea and Kucherov both falling to end of fourth round shows that not having contracts was making people wait. I could not wait any longer on him and took Gaudreau.

5. (50) James Neal (Nsh - RW) Considered taking Kucherov here as well but two RFAs this close to season is risky. Maybe Kucherov will fall back to my next pick. Gaudreau doesn't get many PIMs... better draft Neal to get some other categories to offset drafting Gaudreau.

6. (71) Logan Couture (SJ - C) Didn't have a centre and the leading scorer from last year playoffs was still available... hoping he stays healthy and can put together a full season. At this point I decided to focuse on shots shots shots! And the LMFAO song became my theme song!

7. (74) Torey Krug (Bos - D) - Needed another D man and Krug was the one that shoots the most...Shots Shots Shots!! and he was the top-scoring D man left that interested me.

8. (95) Brandon Saad (Cls - LW,RW) - Columbus has to get scoring from somewhere... and did I mention he shoots a fair bit. I think he really breaks out this year... and he is dual eligible at LW and RW.

9. (98) Tyson Barrie (Col - D) Another D man that shoots a fair bit and I expect Colorado to score more this year and figured it was a good time to get my third Dman.

10. (119) Alex Galchenyuk (Mon -C) Considered a 2nd goalie here, looked and saw that there was a couple i could get after a turn because 28 Hayes already had 2 goalies. I doubted he would take 3 and 4 on the turn. Time for a 2nd centre and I think its time for a breakout for this young forward... he showed great signs of it in the 2nd half last year!

11. (122) Sergei Bobrovsky (Cls - G) Needed a 2nd goalie and was debating between Freddy Andersen and Bobrovsky. Thought about drafting Freddy (And potentially drafting Jason Labarbera later and name my team Freddy vs Jason... but figured Columbus should get more wins that Toronto and Bobrovsky played well at World Cup. Please stay healthy!!!

12. (143) Max Domi (Ari - LW) Been a few round since I picked a player that is well-rounded and gets some Pims and hits and points and such, so I decided I needed some here. So I went with Domi before the turn....
    13. (146) Brendan Gallagher (Mon - RW) ....and after the turn I decided between Kreider and Gallagher and went with the RW over the LW.

14. (167) Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (Edm - C) Decided to toss us a prayer and hope that he gets to remain as a 2nd line C or RW with Draisatl... hoping for a breakout based on his World Cup play.

15. (170) Cam Atkinson (Cls - RW) Shots! Shots! Shots! And hopefully another 45-50 point season

16. (191) Justin Williams (Was - RW) Hoping he still gets a chance in top 6 over Johansson and that he still sees some time on the PP for powerplay points.

17. (194) Alex Goligoski (Ari - D) I based this decision on a pre-season game I watched and hopefully he can play like that all year.

18. (215) Ondrej Pavelec (Wpg - G) Time to pick a 3rd goalie

19. (218) Mattias Ekholm (Nsh - D) This is the pick that I want back. I read his bio and it said him And Subban are playing well together... and Yahoo had his point projections at a decent amount... oops

20. (239) Tyler Myers (Wpg - D) Decided I needed to try making up for picking Ekholm and it was time to get some more PIMS, Hits, blocks.

21. (242) Victor Rask (Car - C) Someone is going to be the leading scorer for Carolina... took a shot on Rask.

22. (263) Mikkel Boedker (SJ - LW), Thought about Provorov, nah that is a homer pick... better not do it... maybe next time at the turn. If Boedker can get 50 points with Arizona, how many can he score with the guys in San Jose.

23. (266) Brian Campbell (Chi - D) This pick counters my Shots Shots Shots strategy, he always liked playing in Chicago.

24. (287) Mitchell Marner (Tor - C) Pitch is coming... swing for the fences.

25. (290) Andre Burakovsky (Was - LW) Another swing for the fences... if he can play in the top 6 all year he could put together a solid year.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Nightmarians - by Pengwin7.

I drafted out of the 11/12 spot in this draft. No disrespect to my fellow GMs, but drafting near the turn means I'd pretty much be thinking about the guy inside me at the turn, 2-time defending champ "temek" (many of us would consider him the KING of fantasy hockey).

When you draft near the turn, you can summarize your picks in twos, so I'll do that here for simplicity.
    Love the name! nice work!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

The team (with round taken)

C: Giroux(2), Bergeron(3), Stamkos(4), Toews(5)
    LW: Marchand(8), Hertl(16*), J.Jokinen(19), Beleskey(22)
    RW: Larkin(6), E.Lindholm(13), Ehlers(15), Hossa (20)
    D: Muzzin(7), Seabrook(9), Suter(10), Niskanen(11), E.Johnson(12), Orpik(21)
    G: Price(1), M.Smith(14), Lehtonen(17), Niemi(18)
    BN: Tkachuk(23), Bollig(24), R.Strome(25)

*Hertl is C-only in Yahoo! currently, but I really expect that to change sooner than later.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Gost Story

C Kadri, Little, Henrique, Granlund
    LW Voracek, Ladd, Zetterberg, Lee
    RW Simmonds, MacKinnon, Toffoli, Nylander
    D Byfuglien, Hamilton, Martinez, Hamonic, Lindholm, Beauchemin
    G Schneider, Mrazek, Murray, Andersen
    BN Werenski, Strome, Rantanen

Once again I was picking on the turn with the 12th pick and I don't particularly like picking on that position. I guess it would allow a safe picking of goalie tandems and I probably would have picked Fleury/Murray if both were available with my 7th/8th round picks. Fleury went a lot earlier as kind of expected so that was out of the window pretty soon. Once again planned to go D/G/W heavy and skip centers until round 10 or so. Pre-planning suggested there were good value C picks like Stepan, Kadri, Dubinsky, Krejci, Little available around there so plan to was to get 2-3 out of those. Yahoo's decision to limit multi-position eligibility meant there were only about 10 FOW-taking wingers I considered worth taking and I wanted 1-2 of those. Yahoo might gift eligibilities again pretty soon left and right though once the season starts so there might be a lot more of FOW-taking wingers around soon.

1. (12) Cory Schneider (NJ - G)
    2. (13) Dustin Byfuglien (Wpg - D)

Wishlist went: Burns, Karlsson, Price, Holtby, Pavelski, Byfuglien, Schneider, Taraseno. So close to getting Price, but Pengwin, quite unexpectedly considering his goalie drafting history, decided to pick Price. Had to resort to a backup plan in Schneider which is a bit of a bummer, but you can't always get what you want. I also wanted Top5 D onboard as I was pretty sure Letang and Weber wouldn't last to my next picks.

3. (36) Wayne Simmonds (Phi - RW)
    4. (37) Nathan MacKinnon (Col - C,RW)

I was really hoping to get Dubnyk or Rask here, especially Dubnyk. Both went though so decided to wait on goalies and hope Elliott is there with my next pick. Simmonds is a a very nice multicat producer with our categories and I was very happy to get him here. For the 2nd pick I was considering between Carlson, Hall and MacKinnon, but those FOW-taking wingers are really rare this season (or at least currently) so wanted to get one of those onboard. This meant going a little RW-heavy so might have to skip on some RWs available next few rounds and take D/LW instead.

5. (60) Jakub Voracek (Phi - LW,RW)
    6. (61) Petr Mrazek (Det - G)

I am pretty high on Voracek and expect him to get back to 70+ pts next season. My teams tend to be SOG/G heavy so drafting A/PPP heavy player helps to balance bias my drafting is showing. Elliott went so I had to seriously think about skipping G and wait and pick someone like Mason, Talbot, Halak. Mrazek was the last G I felt comfortable going forward as the 2nd goalie so decided to with him. I would have loved to get Shattenkirk here, but thought going goalie was necessary. Other players in consideration included Landeskog, Hornqvist, Toffoli.

7. (84) Tyler Toffoli (LA - C,RW)
    8. (85) Andrew Ladd (NYI - LW)

I had 2RW already and going Toffoli would likely mean skipping on RWs for the next 10 rounds or so. I'd rather not imbalance roster so early so I'd have to skip on the best player available due to positional reasons. Toffoli was the best available on my list by a some margin though so felt I had to pick him. Would have picked Muzzin if Pengwin didn't take him just under my nose so had to resort to taking LW with the 2nd pick. I had several comparable options win JvR, Ladd and Marchand under consideration, but decided to go with Ladd.

9. (108) Matt Murray (Pit - G)
    10. (109) Dougie Hamilton (Cgy - D)

My 2 goalies are both playing for mediocre teams so I really needed to get some wins from somewhere. I could have waited on late rounds and get 2 backup on top teams like Grubauer, Vasilevski. Murray is injured, but I expect him to still get close to 30 starts and I might still hit the jackpot if Fleury is traded mid-season. Only had one dman and no centers at this point so I really had to address those position in the next few picks. I had hoped pre-draft that Stepan would be here, but he went so picked the last Top20 D available in Hamilton.

11. (132) Nazem Kadri (Tor - C)
    12. (133) Henrik Zetterberg (Det - C,LW)

More or less had to get center or my C position would absolutely suck. I was quite happy to get Kadri as I feel he's somewhat undervalued with the Matthews hype going on. I would still expect Kadri to start as the 1C and likely play in the 1st PP unit regardless of what Matthews does. Probably would have gone C-C if Krejci was here, but decided to take another FOW-taking winger in Zetterberg as I didn't like the options availabe at D. Zetterberg isn't that old Zetterberg anymore and probably plays mostly on the LW next season. He should still get 1st line EV minutes with 1st PP unit role so 50-55 pts with some FOW shouldn't be too much to ask.

13. (156) Bryan Little (Wpg - C)
    14. (157) Frederik Andersen (Tor - G)

Happy to see another pre-plan draft target available in planned rounds in Little especially as I really needed C too. Best player available were A.Lee and Brouwer, but I thought I could probably wait on Lee and kind of had to pass on Brouwer due to having 3RW already. I really wasn't planning on getting another goalie until round 20+, but felt I had to get Andersen since he was falling this far. This was more of a strategic pick to just to stop some of teams waiting on goalies getting a goalie I valued quite highly, kind of similar to what I did with selecting M.Jones last season. Besides I think TOR will be better than most are expecting already and I should have some trade options later in the season as someone is going to need goalie at some point.

15. (180) Anders Lee (NYI - LW)
    16. (181) Alec Martinez (LA - D)

One of my top late round picks this season as I am still high on Lee. He disappointed many last season, but I think the potential for a strong multicat season with 50+ pts and lot of SOG/Hits is still there. Had him ranked in my Top75 skaters actually so getting him this late was really nice, probably took too much risk in waiting him this long though. Another of my later target picks in Brouwer went earlier as well and I am quite high on him too. Kind of had to pass on him in his league due to positional reasons. I really needed D with a lot of blocks at this point and hopefully some positive +/- as well so Martinez is a good fit.

17. (204) Travis Hamonic (NYI - D)
    18. (205) Adam Henrique (NJ - C)

Had to get another D and C to so went with the best options available at those positions in Hamonic and Henrique. Kind of thought Henrique was a bit of a reach, but I had to get a decent center with a solid amount of FOW to not effectively waste my earlier FOW-winger picks of MacKinnon/Zetterberg.

19. (228) Hampus Lindholm (Anh - D)
    20. (229) William Nylander (Tor - C,RW)

Lindholm is still without a contact, but I expect that situation to be resolved few weeks into the season at the latest. Another D to hopefully to shore up +/- a bit and get some A, PPP too. He could even get promoted to the 1st PP unit with Vatanen if Fowler is moved as has been rumoured. Filled the RW with a high upside pick in Nylander. He was impressive in the AHL last season, especially for his age, and NHL stint wasn't bad either. Has an excellent opportunity to push into even 1st line role with 1st PP unit without that much of a competition so I am expecting mid-50s production and even 60+ wouldn't surprise me. I also needed scoring and especially A so it was a good fit categorywise too.

21. (252) Francois Beauchemin (Col - D)
    22. (253) Mikael Granlund (Min - C)

Centers were really thin and had to resort to a fairly poor option in Granlund. He'll quite likely play at least part of the season at wing so I wouldn't expect that much FOW from him either. Should provide solid numbers in A, PPP which was a need so picked him. Might get benched regularly though depending on how categories like FOW, A look like during the season. Also picked another block D in Beauchemin. Roy is out of COL now so maybe they might even be decent now with Roy not sabotaging the team with terrible coaching.

23. (276) Zachary Werenski (Cls - D)
    24. (277) Dylan Strome (Ari - C)
    25. (300) Mikko Rantanen (Col - RW)

I like going with high upside picks in the "bench rounds" as there' really isn't that much to lose. Typically guys selected here make an impact few weeks into the season or not at all so you don't have to wait long to see what you have. C and D were my weakest positions so had a preference for those positions. Had Provorov on the top of my queue, but someone else had the same idea so went with the backup D plan in Werenski. We have seen D like Gostisbehere and Krug coming up from the NCAA recently and making an immediate impact. I wouldn't be that surprised even with 40+ pts production, but peripheral categories are likely to be somewhat poor. Strome should start out as 2C in Arizona, but Hanzal is a very injury prone so 1C opportunity will be there at some point. Rantanen is another player coming off a impressive AHL season and opportunity might be there in COL even for a top line role at EV. Also has good multicat potential so even middling 45 pts or so production might be worth rostering if peripherals are good.

Overall didn't quite get as many pre-draft targets as I wanted and D/C especially suffered due to that. Also missed on the goalies I really wanted (Holtby, Price, Dubnyk, Rask), but G corps should still provide solid numbers nonetheless. Hoping one of my late round upside picks hits, but Panarin doesn't come around every year so can't expect to get something like that anytime soon again.

Dobber Sports Expert

As always easily the toughest draft in all of fantasy hockey… you’re not talking about “just experts” but when you add in “experts who know their s**t”, “know their research”, “know their strategy” and on top of that “know how to win”, you can tell the calibre of poolies in this draft.

Overall I’d probably give myself a 7/10… some happy positives, and some disappointing features to fix up. Time will tell if this is a championship winning team or not. The draft is probably 60% of the winning formula, so now it’ll be how well I play the other 40% to make the championship happen.

Initial strategy was to focus on the key areas, much like the Dobber Pro league, the heavy emphasis is on goalie stats, 1 goalie start is equivalent to 6 forward starts there, so of course I placed a very heavy emphasis on the goalies for the draft. Then I target the peripheral real-time stats like FW, Hits, BS to draft a lot more across the board producers and then focused on PPP as that’s usually a key differential stat where you can gain 5-6 points with just a couple more PPP.

C - Backstrom, Getzlaf, Thornton, Dubinsky, Komarov
    LW - Parise, Kane, Nash, Marleau, Filppula
    RW - Pavelski, Silfverberg, Iginla, Callahan, Gaborik
    D - Faulk, Chara, Green, Sekera, Bogosian, Polak
    G - Lundy, Rinne, Miller, Ward
    Dobber Expert Pool Champion 2011-12

Dobber Sports Expert

On the draft recap and my thought process…
    Round 1 (Pick 5) – I absolutely hated this spot ever since the draft order was announced… in this setting 1-4 is pretty set in my opinion, 5-8 is that tough spot where you can go either way, and 10-12 is another sweet spot area where you can get 2 of your top choice picks. Heavily debated on McDavid and Pavelski with a little bit of Karlsson shoved in there… I passed on Karlsson because from a D spot, I usually prefer the 100/100 model in terms of HITs and BS and he didn’t really fit that mould. McDavid I think has point production potential, but really lacked the peripherals. A big key stat for this league is FW, so when I can get 600 some extra FW from a winger slot, this will ultimately guarantee that I’m finishing in the top half if not top 3rd in that stat which is guaranteed points…

Round 2/3 (Pick 20/29) – As discussed earlier, had to go double goalie with my next 2 picks. With Holtby/Price/Schneider/Quick gone, I was left with the Tier 1A types, not much debate here, Lundy I think will have a bounce-back season and Rinne, also looking for a bounce-back season. I entertained the thought of Rask, but passed…

Round 4 (Pick 44) – I was deliberating on this pick quite a bit, I was really hoping that Stamkos was going to drop a few more spots, but he didn’t… I knew that C was the deepest spot, so I didn’t want to invest that heavily into the C spot, but that initial strategy was changed with these next couple of picks. Debated on Doughty, with this 100/100, 200 SOG, 20+ PPP production, but once again I got cold feet as I knew there were much more “value” picks for blue-liners about 100-120 spots later…

Round 5 (Pick 53) – Fell into the bait again with some “big names” sitting at the top of my queue. Getzlaf had a down year, but production-wise great value for what he potentially brings, 100/100, 200 SOG, 20+ PPP, solid 600+ FW… didn’t really deliberate on that pick at all…

Round 6 (Pick 68) – Once again the “name factor” caught my eye. I still don’t understand why Thornton is always dismissed at the draft table. Yeah he’s a C and it’s deep, yeah he doesn’t provide SOG, yeah he doesn’t provide goals… but he’s 11th in the league for +/-, 2nd for assists, 5th for PPP and should provide a reasonable FW and isn’t completely detrimental in HITs/BS/PIMs… great value pick for me!

Round 7 (Pick 77) – A little bit panicky with this pick. I really wanted Landeskog who was taken 2 picks after my Thornton pick, I was really eyeing Lucic and Carter… so to see your queue just shrink pick after pick was a bit disheartening… With Thornton/Backstrom I knew I took a hit in SOG, so I looked at the BPA in terms of SOG to help counteract some of my team deficiencies… Parise was the best available, plus he helped to augment my HITs and a little bit of BS from a forward position… Plus I think having Boudreau and Staal could shift Parise and the Wild into a bit more of an offensive mindset…

Round 8 (Pick 92)- Pretty desperate for a D at this point, so I was targeting SOG/PPP along with the 100/100/200 formula. Faulk was my man, the -22 hurt, but hopefully the Carolina D tightens up a little bit more this season… Suter/Barrie crossed my mind, but I don’t think either was as across the board as Faulk…

Round 9 (Pick 101) – Looking at the players taken, most managers were onto the fact about across the board production, and 1 player that I had always earmarked with Evander Kane. Heading in I knew he was undervalued, and was always going to take him with my 9/10th pick if he was available. (He was kinda my “no matter what” player…) I jumped a bit to get him at 9 thinking he wouldn’t last.

Round 10 (Pick 116)- This one was painful, I saw a lot of my “favourites” go, Jenner went, Seabrook went, Suter went, Ekblad went… So not a lot of my top options available. Once again went back to the SOG route and went with Nash… With Yandle, Boyle and a certain extent Staal gone, I think this Rangers team mirrors a lot more of the 2012-2014 Rangers where Nash was really heavily leaned upon for offense and SOG. At this point I was also looking at picking a D, but thought I could hold off for 1 more pick… Phaneuf went a few picks after who was 1 that I was really wanting to target. If I had a do-over I think I woulda grabbed Phaneuf there instead.

Round 11 (Pick 125)- As soon as Phaneuf went, I knew I needed to grab Chara… 100/100/150 plus some PIM contribution…

Round 12 (Pick 140) – Some good snipes again, Erik Johnson was one that I also highly valued, same with Zibanejad for the FW from a winger position… so I had to fall back on Dubinsky. Once again continuing to augment the peripherals. 200+ hits, 40 BS, 700+ FW along with 150 SOG.

Round 13 (Pick 149) – Took the bait again for the “name value” Marleau had really plummeted in fantasy drafts this season… and I’m actually really surprised that no one in the league valued him all that much… It’s one of those low risk moves to draft him this season… if he continues to have a crappy season like he did last season, what am I going to lose compared to a Sharp, Skinner, Lindholm, Little, Statsny or RNH? Nothing much really, but if he finds his game again and gets his +/- sorted, I’m looking at 60 points, 200 SOG, with 20+ PPP along with 60+ HITs and 30 BS… and on top of that I’m getting 250+ FW from a LW position!!!

Round 14 (Pick 164) – I was pretty comfortable with my peripheral production so far, so it was time to attack a few other areas which is PPP through the blue-line. Getting to the middle picks of the draft, there aren’t too many homerun picks left now for D, so it’s probably gamble time. I just sifted through the stats for PPP and SOG, debated between Green, Reilly and Boychuk… But decided on Green for his 100/100 potential and 150 SOG… still the top dog in Detroit and now with Datsyuk gone probably more touches for Green this year.

Round 15 (Pick 173)- At this point I really wanted to cement my goalie structure… in reality I wanted to pick a goalie for the last 4-5 rounds, but there were still plenty of offensive options available at the time so I passed… With goalies I plan on fully cherry picking my starts… My initial plan is to bench for all unfavourable road games (I don’t know how patient I’ll be with that… but that’s the plan), so the plan now was to grab quality #1 starters to get about 60 starts out of them… so I grabbed Miller (9-13-4 record, but a 2.44 GAA and .924 SP at home which will be great supplementary stats for my 2 starters if he maintains similar stats). Debated also been the Dallas duo of Niemi and Lehtonen, but the defense there is just too shoddy for my liking…

Round 16 (Pick 188) – I didn’t grab a RW eligible player since my 1st round pick of Pavelski so now’s the time to do so. Not a lot of jump out at me options, so I grabbed BPA in Silfverberg. Decent HIT totals with SOG so I’m fine with that pick.

Round 17 (Pick 197)- Tried to fill out my RW again, once again went with the “name factor” in Iggy. He won’t put up mind-boggling numbers, but with the PPP production, SOG, HITs and BS contributions plus a few little FW contribution from a winger position(60), he is a great value pick with not a lot to lose compared to his competitors.

- - - Updated - - -

Round 18 (Pick 212)- Needed to fill the D gaps again… once again focussing back towards the SOG/PPP aspects Sekera is probably the best option. Thought about Girardi and Bogosian at the time but they didn’t have the offensive potential that Sekera had.

Round 19 (Pick 221) – Back to my goalie strategy and grabbed Ward. Once again debated over Howard over Ward, but Carolina and the 5th ranked team SA stat swayed me. If they maintain that shot against rate, but Ward increasing his SP to 920s the Canes make the playoffs. Once again not too concerned, I will be fussy with choosing my starts, so he’s a good option.

Round 20 (Pick 236)- I really wanted Brown for this next pick, but had him sniped right under my nose. I think he’s brilliant value for this late in the draft and he’ll get a top-6 spot in LA until Gabby returns. I’ll work hard at trying to pick him up via trade. My back up option was Doan and saw him go the pick before mine too, so wasn’t too happy with that scenario. I was sitting on Bogosian for a few rounds now, so now’s the time to grab him… once again 100/100 potential with 100 SOG.

Round 21 (Pick 245)- After missing out on Brown and Doan, I settled for Komarov… 250+ HITs should help boost me in that area, also 100 SOG and some reasonable point production. If he can cement that top-line spot with Matthews and JVR, he could be fantasy gold.

Round 22 (Pick 260) – Just trying to round out my D Polak once again fits the mould, HITs/BS galore, 80 some odd SOG and 70 PIMs, won’t get the points, but peripheral boost there… I did contemplate long and hard on Fowler for the PPP, point, SOG and BS production, but I couldn’t resist the 330 HITs staring at me…

Round 23 (Pick 269) – Debated about Pearson or Callahan… Grabbed Callahan… I was still a bit dirty on missing out on Brown/Doan, so Callahan is probably the poor man’s version of them. Serious HITs and a big upside in BS (from a forward position). He was behind only Kesler, Nielsen and Fisher in terms of total BS among forwards. So good supplement for the blue-line BS production.

Round 24 (Pick 284) – I was quite surprised when I sorted the remaining players in terms of FW from a winger position. Saw Filppula left here, so easy to jump on that right away. Another 600+ FW from a winger position, so really help to cement my status as a top 3 producer in that category. With him, Pavelski, Marleau with some support from Iggy/Komarov I should be up with the leaders in that category. Did spend a few seconds debaring on Duclair and Strome, but the FW from the wing was too good to give up.

Dobber Sports Expert

Round 25 (Pick 293) – Last pick, no issues here, Gabby I can just stash on the IR and activate him in the 2nd half of the year. In fact this probably helps me keep my games played numbers in check for the 1st half. I’ll just use the roster spot for a streaming goalie or a favourable peripheral stat matchup throughout the year.

Overall not a bad team, but as the season plays out I’ll adjust. May have went a bit overboard in terms of volume stats like HITs/BS/FW, but I’ll toss out the necessary trades or waiver wire pickups as needed.

Dobber Sports Expert

Round 1
    MVP Pick: No surprises
    You Drunk? Pick: None
    Round 2
    You Drunk? Pick: Jones on a very soft what da pick, probably conservatively could have went with more history with Crawford, Rinne, Dubnyk, Rask…
    Round 3
    You Drunk? Pick: Bergeron on another very soft what da pick, C is very deep, I understand the 1100+ FW, but I don’t think he repeats his point and SOG totals with Backes now in the mix.
    Round 4
    You Drunk? Pick: Gaudreau, needs to sign… but with 20 PIM, 26 HITs, 10 BS, provides almost nothing from the peripheral front… Even if he puts up point-per-game numbers, the hit in peripheral stats will hurt…
    Round 5
    MVP Pick: Backes – love him in this format, maybe a bit early, but he wouldn’t have been available 25 picks later…
    You Drunk? Pick: Barkov, similar lines to Gaudreau, injury cloud over him, low PIMs/HITs/BS totals… Jagr/Huberdeau/Smith/Bjugstad/Jokinen/Trocheck/Yandle/Ekblad/Barkov… starting to get a lot of scoring power there to spread the offense…
    Round 6
    MVP Pick: Landeskog – same as Backes, love him in this format, new coach might ignite the offense…
    You Drunk? Pick: Larkin, way too early in my opinion… low PIMs, middling HITs, little PPP and 45 points… Datsyuk leaving might provide more offensive opportunities, but a lot “safer” options still on the board… Panarin/Kucherov could also boom or bust in this round…
    Round 7
    MVP Pick: O’Reilly – great pick here, 1000 FW from a winger position pretty much guarantees you top spot in that category if you get a good supplement of Cs… plus he doesn’t hurt the PPP or SOG and point categories… honourable mention to Lucic as well, could go nutty with McDavid…
    You Drunk? Pick: All good this round…
    Round 8
    MVP Pick: JVR – there could be a lot of good value with this pick, injury cloud, but with AM in town it could really give JVR a legitimate #1 play-making C to play with…
    You Drunk? Pick: Radulov, lots of unknowns there… Gallagher/Galchecyuk/MaxPac is the top unit, so Radulov will slot in with Plekanec… could be Semin v2 for Radulov-owners…
    Round 9
    MVP Pick: Jenner, absolute monster in this format… peripheral stats galore…
    You Drunk? Pick: Palmieri, he was force to be the “go to” guy last season with Cammy out for long term and nobody scoring over 45 points except for Palmieri and Henrique… Add Hall, add Cammy and Bennett a bit more high end scoring options there now which will reduce the reliance on Palmieri…
    Round 10
    MVP Pick: Staal, 800+ FW from a winger position, boat load of HITs and SOG, shifts into the #1 C slot now…
    You Drunk? Pick: All good…
    Round 11
    MVP Pick: Phaneuf, fantasy monster on the blue-line, multi-category stud!
    You Drunk? Pick: Bobrovsky, very touchy pick, maybe as a 3rd goalie, but 2nd goalie could be playing with fire.
    Round 12
    MVP Pick: Zibanejad, change of scenery… brings FW from a winger slot, HITs/SOG galore, slots in nicely as the #2 C and possibly #1 C if Stepan struggles… honourable mention: Erik Johnson
    You Drunk? Pick: Matthews, I don’t really trust rookies… We all know what he did with Team NA, but a few more “safer” picks than Matthews.
    Round 13
    MVP Pick: Jones – the +/- might take a hit, but has the potential to be a really good across the board producer.
    You Drunk? Pick: Lindholm, back-to-back seasons of 39 points, -23 ratings, very low PIM totals, and middling PPP…
    Round 14
    MVP Pick: RNH – Oilers are clearing house, Hall gone/ Yak gone… so the offense is starting to clear up for McDavid/Eberle/Lucic/Draisaitl and RNH… could be in for a big year (points-wise, still pretty crap on the peripheral front)…
    You Drunk? Pick: Brouwer, brings the HITs, but don’t know if he’ll bring enough of the offense?
    Round 15
    MVP Pick: Rielly – essentially the #1 guy in TO, +/- will hurt and not a lot great source for HITs, but good value there. Honourable mention: Hanzal
    You Drunk? Pick: Hudler, low risk, but with Spezza, Seguin, Benn, Sharp, Hemsky, Klingberg, Goli there dunno how many points will spread to Hudler, add in the lack of peripheral production, could be more harm than good.
    Round 16
    MVP Pick: Kunitz, good peripheral stats in a top-6 role with the Pens lines up with Horny/Crosby or Kessel/Malkin… hows that for choice?
    You Drunk? Pick: Brodie, 15 hits, 18 PIMs, 79 SOG… that’s a lot of negatives…
    Round 17
    MVP Pick: Larsson, lots of potential there! New life in Edmonton, could get that coveted #1 D slot on that PP. At worst he keeps putting up 150 HITs and 150 BS…
    You Drunk? Pick: Pavelec/Hutchinson then Hellebuyck, might be tough for him to grab starts if either Pavelec or Hutchinson gets hot…
    Round 18
    MVP Pick: Dumba could be ready for the next step in Minny. Honourable mention: Cammy
    You Drunk? Pick: Fabbri, Tarasenko, Stastny/Steen/Perron/Yakupov/Lehtera/Perron/Upshall/Rattie, there’s plenty of competition for points in STL. Could go boom or bust.
    Round 19
    MVP Pick: Kronwall, safe reliable pick, good across the board production.
    You Drunk? Pick: Trouba, if he plays he could be gold, but when you request a trade things can go south very quickly… Byfuglien, Enstrom, Myers block his path…
    Round 20
    MVP Pick: Brown, was absolutely shattered with his name disappeared off my queue. Honourable mention: Doan/Howard
    You Drunk? Pick: Nylander, could the Leafs start Matthews, Nylander and Marner???
    Round 21
    MVP Pick: Staal, no risk, all reward here. Change of scenery might help, has Boudreau as an offensive minded coach there with him and offensive support of Parise, Koivu, Granlund, Pominville, Niederreiter, Coyle, Granlund, Zucker, Suter and Dumba… probably won’t break that bank in terms of points, but could get some nice quiet totals. Honorable mention: Murphy
    You Drunk? Pick: Teravainen, going from the Hawks to a very weak Canes’ offense. Plus side is he get opportunity, down side is minimal PIM/Hits

Round 22
    MVP Pick: Niederreiter, new coach, throw in Staal and there’s lot of potential there in Minny. Depth might be an issue as there’s 7-9 players who could tally 40 points, how will it spread?
    You Drunk? Pick: Beleskey, benefited from a lack of depth last year, throw in Backes and development from Spooner and Pastrnak and his role diminishes.
    Round 23
    MVP Pick: Fowler, not too many players let alone blue-liners who could offer 20 PPP at the 272th pick. Huge pickup even though there are deficiencies in a few areas.
    You Drunk? Pick: Tkachuk, will he even make the team? Before he’ll even be fantasy relevant…
    Round 24
    MVP Pick: Pearson, with Gabby out long term, Pearson has a top-6 role locked… should see an elevated total for the 1st half.
    You Drunk? Pick: Bollig, probably would be rarely used by Nightmare… but still 117 Hits, and 103 PIMs at the sacrifice of points (23 points in 241 career games) much better options with Dorsett, Neil, Mcleod, Roussel if you’re looking down that route…
    Round 25
    MVP Pick: Strome, if he cracks the top-6 he could go large… Honorable mention: Zajac, Duclair
    You Drunk? Pick: Aho, he’s always tempting as Yahoo! mucked up on that one in terms of projections, but someone bit… at the end of the day it’s a last round pick with no risks, but Aho?

Projected standings

Team Skater pts Goalie pts Total pts
    Gost Story 94 43 137
    Nightmarians 71 35 106
    The Kings in Yellow 64 38 102
    Puck Snatchers 80 19 99
    Cannibal Staalocaust 53 38 91
    Natural Born Quiller 70 18 88
    SHARPNADO 50 35 85
    Skinned Hasselhoff 54 31 85
    28 Hayes Later 62 20 82
    Markov the Devil 75 6 81
    Thirteen Ghosts 61 13 74
    Maaaaaa-chete 46 16 62
    Some teams aren't projected to reach 164GP so that obviously hurts those teams with W, SVS as categories. Mostly as expected with my team at the top by a some margin and most of the other teams bunched fairly closely in the middle. Ma's team is mostly dead last because I don't like Rinne at all (barely inside my Top20 goalies and even that is mostly because Predators are a good team). Also when you invest T-2nd highest picks on goalies the skaters are probably going to suffer somewhat. I agree that selective starting can improve numbers and I am probably going to do something similar myself, but can't really take that kind of thing into account for projections.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by temek View Post
    Projected standings

Team Skater pts Goalie pts Total pts
    Gost Story 94 43 137
    Nightmarians 71 35 106
    The Kings in Yellow 64 38 102
    Puck Snatchers 80 19 99
    Cannibal Staalocaust 53 38 91
    Natural Born Quiller 70 18 88
    SHARPNADO 50 35 85
    Skinned Hasselhoff 54 31 85
    28 Hayes Later 62 20 82
    Markov the Devil 75 6 81
    Thirteen Ghosts 61 13 74
    Maaaaaa-chete 46 16 62
    Some teams aren't projected to reach 164GP so that obviously hurts those teams with W, SVS as categories. Mostly as expected with my team at the top by a some margin and most of the other teams bunched fairly closely in the middle. Ma's team is mostly dead last because I don't like Rinne at all (barely inside my Top20 goalies and even that is mostly because Predators are a good team). Also when you invest T-2nd highest picks on goalies the skaters are probably going to suffer somewhat. I agree that selective starting can improve numbers and I am probably going to do something similar myself, but can't really take that kind of thing into account for projections.
    wow that's a blow... what stats did you use to project your own? or from something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Maaaasquito View Post
    wow that's a blow... what stats did you use to project your own? or from something else?
    Yeah, my own player projections. Just happens you picked quite a few players I just don't like that much for the next season. We'll see what happens though as there have been cases were teams projected to the bottom have won/finished near the top.

Dobber Sports Stud

Well....if I can get some help in net looks like I can only move up!! My goalies are atrocious.

EDIT: Team is Markov the Devil
    Last edited by Chili con Carne; October 8, 2016 at 8:37 AM. Reason: Added context

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I'm in trouble.
    Temek usually predicts me around middle or sub-middle.
    Second... oh dear.
    35pts goalie projected points... I don't think I've ever been in the 20s in previous years!
    Damn you Carey Price pick.