Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Yahoo position eligibility 2016/17

The Wolverine

Default Yahoo position eligibility 2016/17

Didn't see a thread on this so thought I'd create one.

I've noticed that they have done some fixes on multiple eligibility finally. Among the biggest issues previously were these guys:

Giroux - had RW eligibility but now C only
    Burns and Byfuglien - had RW eligibility but now D only

There are still a few with some (e.g. Voracek, Couture) and they may add some in the coming weeks. Also, I haven't had a close enough look to see if some are still wrong (e.g. RW instead of LW) but perhaps this a step in the right direction.

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: Yahoo position eligibility 2016/17

I know this has been discussed many times (horrorfan and P7 did a great job there), but maybe something is finally happening. It's a big improvement already! I found this thread on yahoo https://yahoo.uservoice.com/forums/2...86d5dca4b38c1b and today I among others (since i voted for this issue) received an answer:

Hi all,

I have merged LOTS of posts in this forum that requested updates to players' position eligibility. We spent time with our data provider during the off-season to improve this aspect of our game. Please take a few minutes when you have a chance and let me know if you think there are additional players who need positions added or removed. Its doubtful we will remove positions but I want to know what we missed.

We REALLY appreciate all of the feedback you have given and the patience you have had while we worked on this issue.

Oh yeah.....also, our game is open for business! Here's the link to sign-up: http://hockey.fantasysports.yahoo.com/hockey

THANK YOU!!
    Joe
    Yahoo Product Support
    Admin, Yahoo

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by tomastop View Post
    I know this has been discussed many times (horrorfan and P7 did a great job there), but maybe something is finally happening. It's a big improvement already! I found this thread on yahoo https://yahoo.uservoice.com/forums/2...86d5dca4b38c1b and today I among others (since i voted for this issue) received an answer:

Hi all,

I have merged LOTS of posts in this forum that requested updates to players' position eligibility. We spent time with our data provider during the off-season to improve this aspect of our game. Please take a few minutes when you have a chance and let me know if you think there are additional players who need positions added or removed. Its doubtful we will remove positions but I want to know what we missed.

We REALLY appreciate all of the feedback you have given and the patience you have had while we worked on this issue.

Oh yeah.....also, our game is open for business! Here's the link to sign-up: http://hockey.fantasysports.yahoo.com/hockey

THANK YOU!!
    Joe
    Yahoo Product Support
    Admin, Yahoo
    Yeah I saw that message as well. But I hope they don't just start adding positions because people are requesting them. One day I hope they can be transparent on how they have determined the positions so that we can have evidence if anyone deserves additional eligibility.

Dobber Sports Star

I guess that settles it, I will be trying to unload Giroux for pic/pics and keep Kucherov. I don't want 3 of my 4 keepers to be centers. Thanks for the update.

10 team H2H !Y League (4 keepers - at least 1 must be a D-man OR Goalie)
    Start - 2C, 2L, 2R, 1U, 3D, 2G, 6Bench,​ 2IR, 2IR+ (Daily) (5 moves per week)
    Skaters - G, A, +/-, PPP,
    PIM, HITS, BS, GWG, SOG
    Goalies - Wins, Saves, S%, GAA (Min. 4 starts)
    Championships 2007, 2009, 2012, 2016, 2017,
    2019*, 2023

C-McDavid, Trocheck, Suzuki
    L-B.Tkachuk(C/L), Forsberg,
    Konecny(L/R)
    R-Hyman(L/R), Svechnikov(L/R), P. Kane
    D-Dahlin, ​Josi,
    G-​​DeSmith, Thompson, Hill
    IR
    -Demko

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    But I hope they don't just start adding positions because people are requesting them... .
    - that's what I'm afraid of too!

The Wolverine

- that's what I'm afraid of too!
    I posted my suggestions/concerns on the thread and in an email reply. We'll see if I get a response.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

They actually did something!

Dobber Sports Master

Hi all,

THANK YOU!!
    Joe
    Yahoo Product Support
    Admin, Yahoo
    Saw the same email from Yahoo. Our keeper league has already switched to Fantrax.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Pro

Let's get back to changes in position eligibility. Pengwin7 posted this in another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    1. Positional Eligibility. HOORAY! HOORAY! For all the bitching we do about this... FINALLY, FINALLY they cleaned up... and, they did a GOOD JOB! Not great, but very good. First off, Burns & Buff have been listed as RW/D for the last 3 seasons Nope, gone. Both are straight D. Guys like Malkin, Giroux, Stamkos, Carter, Kesler, Bryan Little have been C/RW each of the last few years. Fixed. All are straight C. A couple mistakes. Ryan O'Reilly is a C/LW - he was clearly a fulltime C last year. As was Jordan Staal, left to be C/LW. Zetterberg was left at C/LW and he's really a full-time C.

But they left Pavelski as C/RW, Filppula as C/RW, and MacKinnon as C/RW - fairly so.

With Backes going to BOS - they (somebody!) actually pegged him as straight RW... and I have no problem with that because if he plays top 6... he's probably a RW.

Sharp & Abdelkader rightfully kept their LW/RW... but Yahoo! did strip it from a lot of guys.
    I noticed B.Jenner is now C/LW (was C/RW last season). Some wingers lost their C-eligibility - P.Kane, Hall, Benn, Steen, Marchand, Forsberg, Huberdeau, Tatar, Skinner

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Thanks for link.
    I joined in and made my own comment as follows:

Overall - big improvement on positional eligibility, thank you.
    Notes:

1. It would be terrific if EVERY year, players opened with a SINGULAR eligibility. A fantasy hockey provider can always tack on positions after that, but the rule in the past (a fair one) has been not to "take away" a position. So it IS key to keep it singular to speak.

2. Generally speaking, if a guy wins 700+ FOW, he's playing center for a big majority of time.
    Ryan O'Reilly is C. (no LW)
    Jordan Staal is C. (no LW)
    Below that, yes there is some interpretation.
    Zibanajed had 600+, he really should be just C. (no LW)
    Filppula had 600+, he really should be just C, though he does play some wing.
    Backes had 600+, but I believe many people feel he will be primarily a wing in Boston (ceding to Bergeron and Krejci at C1/C2.
    Zetterberg had 500+, but he's likely to be full C for DET with Datsyuk departing.

3. As for dual LW/RW, yes - there are lots of guys that do flip to either side. What I'd suggest, with today's information on line combinations, is to identify a player's most played position for the previous year and only list that singular position to start. For example, Patrick Sharp's two most popular linemate combinations last year were Benn(LW)/Seguin(C) and Benn(LW)/Eakin(C)... so Sharp should be effectively pegged as a "RW" to start this year.

4. Somewhere out there - should be a website that is tracking player usage per game. Most NHL TV coverages actually list each team's 4 forward lines within the first 3 minutes of the game. Watch any typical NHL hockey game and you'll see it flip by at top of screen (or bottom). This is very similar to baseball's opening lineups. Somebody (somewhere, NHL.com preferably) should start documenting every player's OPENING POSITION at forward. Then, it gets easy and fantasy providers can manage positional eligibility similar to baseball. A player has singular eligibility until he plays 10gp at one position, then he gets the tack-on position automatically. Once a new season starts, the dual-eligibility is wiped away and his majority position for previous season is the only one to start a new season.

Summary - using these steps...
    Every season opens up, we can all speculate which singular eligibility a player will have based on past year's usage. That would put this issue to bed. My 2 cents. (Fantasy hockey GM of 30+ years, 7+ leagues per year, 3+ commissioner of leagues).

-Pengwin7 from DobberHockey forums

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Thanks for link.
    I joined in and made my own comment as follows:
    Great that you commented on that thread, thanks.

Dobber Sports Stud

A couple of others I noticed in the top 100:

- James Neal was LW/RW last year, he's only RW now
    - Forsberg was C/LW/RW, he's only LW now (wow!)
    - Johansen was C/RW, only C now
    - Jeff Carter was C/RW, only C now
    - Steen was C/LW, only LW now
    - Kesler was C/RW, only C now
    - Jussi Jokinen was C/LW/RW, only LW now
    - Loui Eriksson was LW/RW, only LW now
    - Zuccarello was LW/RW, only RW now
    - Oshie was C/RW, only RW now

These changes are huge!
    Yahoo! 1 year league, 9 teams, Points only [G (3pts), A (2pts), PPP (1pt), Hits (0.1pt) *** W (4pts), Goals Against (-2pts), SV (0.2pt), SO (3pms)
    C: McDavid, Couturier, Kopitar, D.Strome
    LW: Guentzel, Connor, Miller, Kaprizov
    RW: Stamkos, Stone, Teravainen, Tatar
    D: Dahlin, Theodore, Andersson, Dumba
    G: Shersterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Guru

I'm very excited for this. For years I wanted to do a top 10 list of best players with dual eligibility, but there were just too many options. Hopefully this will narrow it down a bit.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Stud

A couple of more outside the top 100 (I can't stop!):

- Duchene was C/LW last year, only C now
    - Bobby Ryan was LW/RW, only RW now
    - Jenner was C/RW, he's C/LW now
    - Rich Nash was LW/RW, only LW now
    - Hertl was C/LW, only LW now
    - Craig Smith was C/RW, only RW now
    - Soderberg was C/LW, only LW now
    - Nyqvist was C/LW/RW, only LW/RW now
    - Silfverberg was LW/RW, only RW now
    - Couture was C/LW, only C now
    - Eric Staal was C/LW, only C now
    - Dubinsky was C/LW, only C now
    - Killorn was C/LW, only C now
    Yahoo! 1 year league, 9 teams, Points only [G (3pts), A (2pts), PPP (1pt), Hits (0.1pt) *** W (4pts), Goals Against (-2pts), SV (0.2pt), SO (3pms)
    C: McDavid, Couturier, Kopitar, D.Strome
    LW: Guentzel, Connor, Miller, Kaprizov
    RW: Stamkos, Stone, Teravainen, Tatar
    D: Dahlin, Theodore, Andersson, Dumba
    G: Shersterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Dikoi View Post
    A couple of others I noticed in the top 100:
    - James Neal was LW/RW last year, he's only RW now
    - Forsberg was C/LW/RW, he's only LW now (wow!)
    - Loui Eriksson was LW/RW, only LW now
    Neal/Forsberg actually both flip wing sides, but I do believe it is Neal on RW and Forsberg on LW when they play together.
    I was under the impression that VAN was going to put Eriksson on the Sedins line... if so, he should've been tabbed a RW Mistake?. Hmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Dikoi View Post
    A couple of more outside the top 100 (I can't stop!):
    - Hertl was C/LW, only LW now
    - Soderberg was C/LW, only LW now
    - Killorn was C/LW, only C now
    Hertl is mis-listed as a C. Yahoo! did make about 15-20 pretty obvious, IMO, positional mistakes, this is one. (Better than the 100+ mistakes of previous year dual-pos-elig!!!)
    He's not a center, he can play center and did with Couture out... but...
    SJ has had so much success with Hertl as LW1, that he's likely to stay there.
    Hertl played a few months of C2 with Couture out, but he's slated for the LW1 again, I believe.
    I think somebody will raise this issue and it should be corrected.

Soderberg is listed as C, which is subject to how the new coach uses him.
    He's got enough skill to play top6 wing... but he also makes a damn fine C3.

Killorn is mis-listed as a C. Mistake.
    He's not a center. A mistake.
    He could play it, if TB was really strapped, but with Stamkos, TJ, Filppula, and B.Boyle (and Namestnikov & Paquette, if needed), Killorn is the 7th man down their C depth chart.