Thread: Is Anders Nilsson worth owning?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Is Anders Nilsson worth owning?

Desperate to add a goalie without having to trade for one and I've been eyeing Nilsson in Buffalo because I'm sure he'll get an opportunity when Lehner goes down.

However, I think Ullmark is the more talented goalie behind Lehner and wondering if Buffalo feels the same way and Nilsson is just their to warm the bench -- so if there were ever an injury I worry Ullmark would leap frog Nilsson as I think the organization would rather invest in his development (which is why I assume he's starting in the AHL to play and not bench warming).

So I guess my question isn't just, Is Nilsson worth owning (because I dont know much about him) but, which of the two would you chose to own: Nilsson or Ullmark, for next season and beyond.

Cheers!
    Think like a man of action, and act like a man of thought.

The Great One

Default Re: Is Anders Nilsson worth owning?

Next season: Nilsson. You are banking on an injury for Ullmark to get NHL playing time, and assuming Ullmark will be the one called up (I'm not even sure that's true).

Beyond: Ullmark, as I don't have much faith in Nilsson long term.

The thing that people overlook is that Ullmark wasn't that good last year, in the NHL or AHL. His numbers (GAA, SV%) were 3rd best while he was in Buffalo, and 3rd best while he was in the AHL.

To expect him to be a major contributor in Buffalo this year just seems like a long-shot to me, based on what we've seen so far...

Dobber Sports Padawan

In a 14-16 team league with large rosters yes, after that wait till Lehner dies for 6 weeks to pick him up.
    16 Team H2H Dynasty
    G A Pt PIM SoG PPP H+B FOW DZS
    W Svs GAA Sv%

C Scheifele Tavares Dvorack Eller
    LW Domi Aho Ritchie Vrana
    RW Tarasenko J Williams Laine Sheary
    D Klefbom M Rielly Spurgeon Provorov Ellis Dahlin
    R White Kase Schmaltz Thomas Anston-Reese Lindell Theodore

G McEhlinney C Anderson
    R Kuemper

M Bjork Raddysh Kravtsov Ylonen Soderstorm Gilles Gustavsson Point Khakonen Delia Hill

Dobber Sports Ace

I agree with Bazz. In a deep league he'd be worth grabbing if only because most backups are probably already taken. In a shallower league, he'll be available on the WW so long as you're paying attention to when Lehner goes down. Plus, in the second scenario you might have the chance to evaluate it again at the time of the injury and grab whichever one of Ullmark or Nilsson looks like they're going to get the starts.
    9 Team Dynasty Salary Cap (AAV)
    G 1.5, A 1, PPP 1, SHP 1, +/- 0.5, MmP 0.25/Min, HIT 0.1, GWG 3, BLK 0.25 Gordie Howe Hattricks 10 (Skaters)
    W, L, GA, SHO, SV (Goal)
    Start 12 F 6 D 2 G
    11 Player Bench (Max 2 Bench G)
    15 Player Farm Team

F: Kucherov, Teravainen, Galchenyuk, Johansen, W Nylander, W Karlsson, Gourde, Vrana, Athanasiou, Vatrano, Buchnevich, Haula, Stastny, Puljujarvi, Eberle, Little, Kovalchuk, Kravtsov, Terry, Bertuzzi, Bratt, Kunin, Hintz, Heinen, Kahun, Sikura, Chytil, Iafallo
    D: E Karlsson, Montour, Gardiner, Girard, Faulk, Martinez, Fox, Cernak, Weegar, Pionk, Pilut, Bayreuther
    G: Gibson, Bishop, Raanta, Allen, Talbot, Blackwood, Delia, Husso

Dobber Sports Master

I saw the same bad habits last season that he had as isles prospect --goes down way too early and nhl shooters can just put them over his shoulders .

for a 6'5 goalie he crouches down really low and also hunches over alot losing his size advantage.

he could catch lightining in a bottle for a stretch like he did for oilers but he crashed hard when his weaknesses were exposed again.

Administrator

This is very interesting to me. I'm not a huge fan of either one but given Lehner is the main guy there is a real opportunity for both Nilsson and Ullmark to advance their careers. All things considered I'd go with Nilsson although I'd continue to look around for a better alternative if you really want to add a goalie this badly.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

The Great One

Nilsson reminds me a bit of Korpisalo/Domingue last season... Right team, right time, and should provode a spell when he will be able to be moved for a more reliable asset
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

The Great One

Sure would be interesting to see a list of the goalies that are owned in this league. My hunch says there might be better options on the wire.

Dobber Sports Ace

I'm just going to flat out say no here
    14 team h/h dynasty
    Stats, G A PTS PIM +/- PPP SHP GWG shts TOI hts/blks W sv% gaa SO
    $89 mill salary cap, cap hits
    minors- players under 60 gms, goalies under 30 gms
    3c 3lw 3rw 4d 2util 1goal
    max 23 plyr rstr, 15 minors

CENTERS Kuznetsov, Necas, Petterson, Hughes, D.Strome, Seguin, Hayes, Scheifele
    LEFTWING Gaudreau, Mantha, Forsberg, Keller
    RIGHTWING Kakko , Debrincat, Thomas, Konecny
    D-MEN Girard, Provorov, McCavoy, Dobson, Makar
    GOALIES Gibson, Shesterkin, Sorokin
    IR
    MINORS Brannstrom, Kostin, Dennisenko, Kaprizov, Tippett, Cozens, Tolvanen, Zegras, Byfield , Vessalainen, K.Miller, Kyrou, Janik, Bokk, Lundell, Heinola, Hoglander, Lundkvist

Dobber Sports Prodigy

The only goalies that are available on the wire that are on NHL rosters at the moment: Nilsson and Hutton -- thats it. Backups are taken and prospects are drafted. It's a desperate move on my part for a reason. Leaning towards Hutton based on the feedback here.
    Think like a man of action, and act like a man of thought.

The Great One

I'd take Hutton over Nilsson. He's a better goalie. And St. Louis is a better team defensively. And Allen has proven to be about as durable as Lehner.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I think Nilsson has a shot at taking over for Lehner once he inevitably goes down with an injury. He could even steal the job from him. Lehner is not that great of a goaltender. A lot of hype as a prospect but hasn't proved anything at the NHL level yet and we've seen Nilsson get hot. As a Nilsson owner, I recommend taking a shot on him.
    H2H, 12 Teams, Full Keeper
    Skaters: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, FW, HIT
    Goalies: GS, W, L, GAA, SA, SV, SV%, SHO

C - McDavid, Kadri, Zibanejad, Stastny
    LW - Pacioretty, Hoffman, Brown
    RW - Pastrnak, Radulov, Neal
    D - Letang, Ellis, Edler, Muzzin, Orlov, Weber
    G - Vasilevskiy, Dubnyk, Talbot

FARM:
    C - McLeod
    LW - Bellows, DeBrusk
    RW - Aberg
    D - Makar, Nurse
    G - Sorokin, Soderstrom

The Great One

Is there room for you to take both? Especially if goalies are so hard to acquire?
    Experience is the teacher of all things.