Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Mock NFL draft

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: Mock NFL draft

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyProphet View Post
    Since he's taken now, I was debating Nelson over my Freeman pick. As someone relatively new to fantasy football, would you have taken Nelson?
    I would say this largely depends on what your strategy is. If you want to put trust in running backs then you take the best running back.

If you want to leave running backs to later, then Nelson would have been a good pick instead of Freeman.

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    I would say this largely depends on what your strategy is. If you want to put trust in running backs then you take the best running back.

If you want to leave running backs to later, then Nelson would have been a good pick instead of Freeman.
    Quote Originally Posted by HockeyProphet View Post
    Since he's taken now, I was debating Nelson over my Freeman pick. As someone relatively new to fantasy football, would you have taken Nelson?
    I would have taken Nelson, yes. But as PenguinHunter already said, it depends on your strategy. I always go WR heavy early in drafts in leagues where you need to start either 3WRs + a RB/WR/TE flex, or 2WRS + the flex noted.

In this particular mock I'm more flexible because it's only ten teams and therefore less player demand which in turn provides some flexibility in regard to strategy.

But let's say you're in a 14 team league, still standard scoring but you need to activate 3 WRs each week plus the RB/WR/TE flex option. That means each team HAS to roster at least 3 starting WRs x 14 teams = 42 WRs off the board at a minimum.

Now using 2015 fantasy production numbers look at the variance among the top 42 from last season HERE you see that to no surprise Antonio Brown is first at 246.2 total points accrued or 15.4 FPts/game. At the 42 position is Tyler Locket who finished with 104.4 total or 7.0 FPts/game. That's a difference in production of 141.8 total points or 8.4 FPts/game.

And you can see that once you get beyond Jarvis Landry (157 total or 9.8 per game) at the 17/18 position per game production drops to single digits. At that point the variance in production only amounts to only a 52.6 point swing overall or a 2.8 difference per game production level.

That's why I am gunning for those top 15-18 receivers in the earlier rounds. Because between 18-42 there's really not a significant difference in production. Obviously, there a players who unexpectedly under/over perform. You can't possibly account for every unknown. But you get my point.

Do the same for RBs. Generally a must start 2 RB x 14 teams = 28 must owns at the RB position. Using 2015 RB stats (also standard scoring). There were 13 players at double digit production per game, and that doesn't include studs like Foster, Jammy Charlres, Le'Veon Bell Dion Lewis, Todd Gurley, Thomas Rawls and Mark ingram and Lynch who played under 15 games due to injury. Include them when healthy and we're at 20.

You can do the same for QB too. But that's why I go WR heavy early and often.

EDIT: I should add that in PPR formats the variance noted above is even more evident. In ppr leagues I gobble up any player capable of catching a pass. Targets are a more reliable and predictive metric than TDs. The PPR helps offset any lack of TD production which is a more random and unreliable predictor of future fantasy production.
    @SmittysRant

Not pumped with the pick of Rawls, but that's ok. HaHaHa..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Too early for Cam?? Need your honest reponses. I am a Panthers fan... so maybe I over value him... I know. I probably shouldn't take him in over Rogers... but there is a hardcore Packers fan in my league that will take him in round 2.

Dobber Sports Expert

I debated Newton. Felt it was too early to take him #theguywhotookGronk5th. I just expect a little regression from Newton this year and don't anticipate him being the highest QB scorer this year.

Not too early for Cam.. If you really want him, then you need to go get him!!

Dobber Sports Titan

Damn, I was really hoping Maclin would slide to my next pick.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    Not too early for Cam.. If you really want him, then you need to go get him!!
    Thanks. I hope he slips to my 3/4th round pick depending where I pick in my money draft. Rode him to the 'ship last year.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Damn, I was really hoping Maclin would slide to my next pick.
    I debated taking him when I took Cam... it was a tough call.

Love Moncrief's breakout potential this year. Great dynasty own right there.
    @SmittysRant

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    Because this is just a mock I will comment.. I actually have Moncrief on my list as WR in the early 30's for overall WR's in standard scoring.. He was 23rd off the board here!!

Because this is just a mock I will comment.. I actually have Moncrief on my list as WR in the early 30's for overall WR's in standard scoring.. He was 23rd off the board here!!
    Ah snap...ya took Reed you wanker!

I was wondering if he'd fall to my next pick. Alas....
    @SmittysRant

Ah snap...ya took Reed you wanker!

I was wondering if he'd fall to my next pick. Alas....
    I thought it was a good time to snatch him up!! 48th pick not bad..

I thought it was a good time to snatch him up!! 48th pick not bad..
    Great value for the only TE that has a remote chance of being even on the same field as Gronk.

Dobber Sports Expert

I agree with Bomm here. He was fantastic with a healthy Luck last season. I think he's primed for a great year. Surprised you have down in the 30s Zorro. I figured where I took him was pretty well par for the course. Funny because I debated him for a little bit, probably because I owned him and dropped him multiple times last season and thought to myself "really this early? Is it a stretch"

Gotta say, solid drafting thus far gents. No real picks yet.
    @SmittysRant