Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tough Goalie Decisions - Keep 7

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Tough Goalie Decisions - Keep 7

I need to keep 7 from the following. In my mind the decision really comes down to pulling the trigger on certain goalies. Keepers aren't declared until the end of the summer and trades open up again soon. Most teams have their keepers lined up though, so its difficult to make meaningful trades in the off-season. I already have more keepers than I can sustain, so looking for a win now without entirely destroying my future.

Forwards:
    Kopitar
    Pacioretty
    Gaudreau
    Panarin
    (ELC)

Dmen: no one worth keeping

Goalies:
    Quick
    Bishop
    Dubnyk
    Vasilevsky

Unlikely runner ups:
    Oshie
    Okposo
    Tyler Johnson

Additional details:
    - 12 team H2H cats league --> G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, HIT, W, GAA, SV, SV%
    - I've traded away picks in a failed run last year and don't draft until the 4th or 5th round this draft
    - Keeper spots are tradable; it is a pick 6 league and I get to keep an extra guy this offseason
    - One of the keeper spots is an Entry-League Contract spot so Panarin is locked in. I will need a new rookie to protect next year. ELC keeper spot is untradable.
    - League topography --> Every team maintains 3-5 goalies. And very few dmen are ever kept (maybe top 5-7 dmen kept)

I feel like the obvious answer is 'trade a goalie', but which one and for what? A 2nd or 3rd round draft pick could be nice in a league where a goalies, if reliable, are coveted. I feel like this decision could make or break next season. Looking for some general opinions.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Tough Goalie Decisions - Keep 7

I'm keeping Bishop as well.. if you really only want to keep 1 goalie I would keep Bishop over Quick. Even with 2 goalies, that's 6.. for a 7th, Tyler Johnson hands down, without you showing us your entire roster that is.

I trade Dubnyk 2nd choice is Quick. Bishop is my G moving forward
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Padawan

I think I'd like to keep 3 goalies, but am interested in the responses I get here. 3 top-10 starting goalies (Depending on your rankings) in a league where around 50+ goalies are rostered just seems too good to pass up. Especially where 4of11 categories are entirely goaltender based, can win you matchups.

Remainder of the lineup I didn't bother posting to simply things. Kesler, Stepan, Datsuyk, Hampus Lindholm...

The Great One

I keep Bish and shop the others - I would have no issue keeping Dubnyk though if you can't get a deal. I think Oshie and Johnson is a toss up as think both will be better next season (though I think Johnson improves more than Oshie will)
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    I keep Bish and shop the others - I would have no issue keeping Dubnyk though if you can't get a deal. I think Oshie and Johnson is a toss up as think both will be better next season (though I think Johnson improves more than Oshie will)
    I agree with the first two points, but TyJo over Oshie easy IMO.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

The Great One

hits was the caveat that I consider Oshie over Johnson but agree I probably take Johnson 90% of the time

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I would shop Bishop. TB cant keep him so the chances of him going to a better/as good a club is slim to non so keeping him over Quick is insane in my book. If u guys advice him to keep Bishop u must have a good ideer on where he is going. If he goes to LA I will eat my hat LOL

The Great One

he's already keeping Quick? not sure anyone has said to keep Bishop over Quick?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

ah I thought u guys meant swap Quick for Bishop in the keeper list. My bad!

The Great One

nope... I think most guys will always say to keep stellar goalies whenever you get the chance

Dobber Sports Giant

I would keep Bishop and Dubnyk. You will be able to redraft Oshie or TJ with more ease; especially if 50+ goalies are owned during the course of the regular season.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

7 skater stat and 4 goalie stat. How many goalie do you need to start every week? 1? 2? I'd definitely keep 3 potential starter goalie if your answer is two.

Quick and Bishop are easy keepers for me. Shop Vasi and Dubnyk. I have a feeling Boudreau will ruin Dubnyk's stats a little bit, so if you find a taker for Dubnyk (somebody will pay for him a 2nd rounder, as you wrote), then keep Vasilevsky as your third goalie.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Two goalie spots, minimum 3 starts per week. I usually make 6-10 starts though with the tenders I've got.

I had always planned to drop Vas and keep the other 3 goalies. But with his play in the offseason, the confirmation of the Vegas expansion, and the Stamkos signing, I'm left in a hard position between win now or give up the goalie of the future for no compensation. I'm hoping things become a bit clearer by mid-August.

The Great One

surprised no one would send you anything for Vas...?

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    surprised no one would send you anything for Vas...?
    Maybe I'm just being skeptical. In order to acquire Vas from me and be able to keep him, they would have to pay for him in the trade, and also lose whatever other top keeper player they had intended to keep. That puts a very high price on someone who may serve as a backup goalie.