Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Worst Book you have ever Read

Dobber Sports Master

Default Worst Book you have ever Read

Another thread, about Star Wars interestingly enough, got me thinking about the absolute worst book I have ever read. In the other thread, I mentioned "The Crystal Star", part of the Star Wars Expanded universe, as being the worst Star Wars novel I have ever read. But is it the most terrible book I have ever mucked through...
    It's close, but the title of Worst Book ever goes to...

R.D. LeCoeur's "The Spartacus Prophecy". It was featured on Goodreads a few years ago soon after its publication, and I thought the premise of the novel, that the Gladiator turned Rebellion Leader survived the Battle of Petelia where it is widely considered that he perished was fascinating. I assumed the book would follow Spartacus as he made a second (alternate ending sort of) attempt at sacking Rome or a return to Thrace where he would have to fight to regain his own, lost lands, family, or something of great importance.
    Instead, it veered off into a long, drab journey across the Mediterranean where basically the renowned warrior establishes his own, comfy little village with like minded people who seek freedom and takes up knitting. Ho-hum,,boring! The only intrigue was a pair of idiotic Romans who followed Spartacus across the lands in an attempt to capture him and return to Rome and the glory that awaited anyone who captured the infamous rebel. They were dispatched rather quickly by our hero, and then he went back to his sewing needles and tending to the family cat...zzzzz...sorry, I dozed off there. Worst Book ever...sadly, if you look it up on Goodreads, the only person who rated it a 5/5 stars is the author himself. How pathetic.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Worst Book you have ever Read

A wrinkle in time. Had to read it for school some years back. Just an awful story, idea and everything. Surprised I survived reading it.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Master

Is there nobody else who has read a terrible book out there??

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by The Bottlenecker View Post
    Is there nobody else who has read a terrible book out there??
    Often if I'm not enjoying the book I stop reading it. I'm also quite picky with what I read and thankfully it hasn't come up that often.

I can't think of the last book I've read completely that I didn't enjoy, and I read regularly. I've read several books that I wasn't all that fussed about, but wanted to finish it regardless.

I remember years ago I was reading a perceived classic horror story (might have been Ray Bradbury or someone similar) and I couldn't get into it because of the writing style so I stopped about a third way through.

Dobber Sports Genius

Nickle and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreich. This book was so painfully to read I can't describe how boring it was

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

probably that book they made you read in school where the kid banged his mom and pulled his eyes out.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Warren Ellis - The Gun Machine - I hijacked your thread when you made the worst book in the history of mankind comment. It's garble and trash. The sleeve synopsis got me hooked, however, I don't think he actually wrote the synopsis. The police break into a room that is filled with hundreds of weapons. Each one apparently is linked to an unsolved murder. I was very intrigued.

Apparently Ellis really needs to keep his focus on graphic novels. It's an incredibly weak plot, with massive holes throughout and littered with below amateurish writing ability. I've been a member of amateur writing sites. They write better on the whole. The only reason he got a book deal is because he already had an in via graphic novels. Like I said in the other thread, I only paid .01 for the book + $6.49 shipping. The cover looked like it had been hit with a hammer. I love books and hold them in high regard (Think Gollum here) But I wanted to take a hammer to it as well.

Oliver Twist - while it's Dickens is an amazing writer. I have never been more irritated reading a book. Oliver is a whiney little _____ I had to put the book down several times because I had this overwhelming urge to just smack him. Perhaps that was the genius of Dickens, create such a vivid character that you end up wanting to throttle him.

It's not my most hated novel, but Oliver Twist remains king of most hated annoying characters. Perhaps he holds two trophies on my book shelf
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Master

I really hated the Stone Angel by Margaret Lawrence... had to read it for an english class (which never helps)
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Loch View Post
    I really hated the Stone Angel by Margaret Lawrence... had to read it for an english class (which never helps)
    I DID TOO!! I don't remember any of it... so I probably hate it too. There was a collective sigh of displeasure when it was passed out to the class.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    probably that book they made you read in school where the kid banged his mom and pulled his eyes out.
    This is a thing?
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    This is a thing?
    Probably... I'm sure it will be in Urban Dictionary...
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Expert

The Bible.
    twitter: @hugotwigg

Dobber Sports Legend

Snake Charming for Dummies.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    This is a thing?
    Oedipus Rex! A classic.

Dobber Sports Ace

I'm like someone above. I still read a fair bit and grab a lot of books from the library, and if I don't enjoy one, I put it down.

So I've rarely read a full "bad book" through.

And I feel bad ripping the books I hated in school. But MAN, some of the Shakespeare was tough