Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars fans I need your help

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Star Wars fans I need your help

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    Lol didn't you use your free trial of Amazon prime

i think ink the caveat with Dobber's order is that Return of the Jedi actually hasn't aged badly compared to New Hope and Empire Strikes Back so I can see that lorded working quite well
    It didn't give me the option to view it for free. And besides I'm confident I'll enjoy them enough to re-watch them multiple times.
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    I think the new ones were fine. Standards were just high, and they were meant to go with the books (which I read, so the movies were 10x better)
    If Red Harvest is not the worst book in the history of human kind, I challenge anyone to find a bigger piece of crap. I gave up on the Stars Wars book after reading that one and then discovering the same author was hired to write another one that was also trash (if you take the word of online reviews)...

Dobber Sports Genius

We are damn close the same age and it *BLOWS* my mind that a 40 year old man managed to go this long without seeing Star Wars IV: A New Hope. How is that even possible?!?!!
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by NoWayOut View Post
    Ok I took the plunge and it's 100% gonna get done now. I broke down and bought the original trilogy off Amazon. No more excuses.

Sadly though it'll have to wait until next weekend as New Hope won't be here until Monday. What the heck, I've waited damn nearly 40 years what's another week right?
    Wow...I have to say that it's rare to encounter this with people in my age group! (I was born in '72).

Definitely start with the first ones. I saw Empire in the theatre in 1980 and I can still remember sitting there with my mouth hanging open, just stunned and amazed.

I'm interested to see how you feel about them, watching them for the first time. Having watched them in my childhood and dozens of times since, they're just a part of my life - I had tons of the toys as a child, it's hard to describe how much of an impact they had on me!

The 'Sequel Trilogy' (Ep's 1-3), was, on the other hand, quite possibly the most disappointed I have ever been movie-wise - for me they don't hold a candle to the original 3, they just seem like poor imitations.

The latest I felt was more like the originals, and I did enjoy it quite a bit. Looking forward to Rogue One (which apparently takes place just before Episode 4 - A New Hope).
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    If Red Harvest is not the worst book in the history of human kind, I challenge anyone to find a bigger piece of crap. I gave up on the Stars Wars book after reading that one and then discovering the same author was hired to write another one that was also trash (if you take the word of online reviews)...
    Red Harvest is Pulitzer Prize worthy compared to Star Wars: The Crystal Star. I have read almost 200 of the Star Wars Universe novels, and The Crystal Star stands out as the worst by "a long, long" stretch. The characterization is terrible (Luke, the Jedi, has a temper), the plot is tired, and the all powerful villain is easily defeated. Complete mess of a novel.

As per No Way Out's admission to never having watched the films, there is a 40 something guy on staff who hasn't watched any of the films either, and despite the rest of us offering to loan him our own VHS, DVD or BluRay copies of our favorite Sci-Fi movies, he refuses. I applaud you, NWO, for taking the plunge and joining the universe us nerds love living in. For what it is worth, I have watched the six films in both chronological order and in the order they were produced, and preferred the chronological order even though the Prequels aren't as magical as the Originals.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    I'll offer up GUN MACHINE by Warren Ellis as a challenger. A good premise, then he started writing and it fell to complete sh*t from there. I was so jacked to read it based on some reviews I read & the overview on the jacket. Can't believe I paid $6.50 including $6.49 shipping for it from Amazon
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    I'll offer up GUN MACHINE by Warren Ellis as a challenger. A good premise, then he started writing and it fell to complete sh*t from there. I was so jacked to read it based on some reviews I read & the overview on the jacket. Can't believe I paid $6.50 including $6.49 shipping for it from Amazon
    Is that a Star Wars novel? I thought NoWayOut was just talking about books from the Expanded Universe of Star Wars.

F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by The Bottlenecker View Post
    Is that a Star Wars novel? I thought NoWayOut was just talking about books from the Expanded Universe of Star Wars.
    He said the history of mankind.. I assume this goes beyond Star Wars
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    I've seen them all 100 times.
    assuming each film runs 120 minutes, that's a total of 72,000 minutes of Star Wars - it would take you 50 days of straight watching to get all that in lol. That's a lot of popcorn
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Call of Doughty View Post
    assuming each film runs 120 minutes, that's a total of 72,000 minutes of Star Wars - it would take you 50 days of straight watching to get all that in lol. That's a lot of popcorn
    And way too much JarJar Binks. I fast forward through the JarJar parts when watching TPM. Although I absolutely love the Darth Maul vs. Kenobi & Jinn lightsaber duel at the end.

The Great One

I better not share the Jar Jar Binks is a Jedi Master analogy then...
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    I better not share the Jar Jar Binks is a Jedi Master analogy then...
    The right time and place, this is not.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

The Great One

Be fair I wasn't a fan of him either but it was interesting... and scary!
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Novice

To the op:

If you're feeling adventurous, and are planning to watch all SW movies, check out watching the Star Wars saga in 'machete order'. It goes like this: 4, 5, 2, 3, 6. It omits episode 1 obviously, and the reasoning isn't because it's bad, rather that it's irrelevant to the narrative of Luke. There is a very long but very compelling case for it here: http://www.nomachetejuggling.com/201...viewing-order/

Careful, lots of spoilers! Don't read if you wanna go in blind.
    17 teams - Pts only, cap hit league (not using bonuses) - Keep $39.255 million
    [Start 7F, 4D, 2G + 6 reserve]
    6 prospects

F: Draisaitl(8.5), Stamkos(8.5), Kopitar(10), Ehlers(6), Seguin(5.75), Rantanen(0.894), Guentzel(0.734), Anders Bjork(0.925), Niederrieter, Stepan
    D:Byfuglien(7.6), Carlson(?), Muzzin(4), Montour(?), Pulock(?), DeAngelo(0.925)
    G: Holtby(6.1), Jones (?)
    Prospects: PL Dubois, Mittelstadt, Suzuki, Tippett, Tolvanen, Terry

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by buggybdrizzy View Post
    To the op:

If you're feeling adventurous, and are planning to watch all SW movies, check out watching the Star Wars saga in 'machete order'. It goes like this: 4, 5, 2, 3, 6. It omits episode 1 obviously, and the reasoning isn't because it's bad, rather that it's irrelevant to the narrative of Luke. There is a very long but very compelling case for it here: http://www.nomachetejuggling.com/201...viewing-order/

Careful, lots of spoilers! Don't read if you wanna go in blind.
    Why is it called Machete Order?