Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: So... They really changed the words to the Canadian National Anthem?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default So... They really changed the words to the Canadian National Anthem?

Watching the baseball all star game and heard the Tenors signing O'Canada. I thought they were actually screwing it up with all the "we're all Brothers and Sisters..." Stuff.

Thank you Liberals for making sure the "Important Issues" we're getting proper attention.

I'm an only child... Feeling slighted here.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Default Re: So... They really changed the words to the Canadian National Anthem?

They do this every couple of decades. Maybe next time they will address 'only child' families.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: So... They really changed the words to the Canadian National Anthem?

I thought we voted in the Liberals, not the Conservatives.

Dobber Sports Titan

Wait, so this is an official anthem change, or is it just the all star guys putting an American spin on it?
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Guru

That was just something that group did tonight. The anthem hasn't been changed yet. Also, the change is from "all thy sons command" to "all of us command."

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    That was just something that group did tonight. The anthem hasn't been changed yet. Also, the change is from "all thy sons command" to "all of us command."
    Interesting political message. Not sure it was the right platform for doing it though...
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I will sing the anthem how I learnt the anthem.. The change of two words will go mostly unnoticed to most..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

It was the "brothers and sisters" crap that I didn't like. All thy sons to all of us isn't a big deal. But quit F'n with the Anthem. Better yet, eliminate it from pro sports all together.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    quit F'n with the Anthem.
    This I can agree with. Good gravy, leave it alone. There's nothing offensive about it.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Not a fan of political statements by celebrities or musicians. If you wanted to make a difference, you need to do more than sing or talk about it.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Ninja

That was pathetic and embarrassing. That one moron probably just singlehandedly destroyed the band's career.

Dobber Sports Star

They haven't officially changed it, but it is in the making. Just interested in asking, why are people so opposed to changing the words? If Canadians are genuinely offended that the words are sexist (and let's be real; they are), then why not change them?

I know people claim "tradition", but it's that same argument that supports the name "Redskins", or slavery. Now granted, the words "in all thy sons command" is clearly not at the same level as "slavery", or even the team name "Redskins", but I am sure that everyone can appreciate that I am exaggerating to illustrate a point.

I don't see the big deal in changing it. It IS offensive. Change the words. Make people happy.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Titan

Prior to WW1 the anthem was originally “thou dost in us command”, then switched “to in all thy sons command” to honour the soldiers i do believe. Then in 1926 a fourth verse of religious nature was added.

So anyone who’s upset with that change should really take a bit of a reflection timeout. But if you like in all thy sons command because you do, no worries. I just don’t like it when people say “ITS BEEN THAT WAY FOREVER!”, because well it hasn’t. Plus there’s some verses we just don’t sing (like the 4th one said above) just like how people don’t sing the “sippin orange juice out of champagne glasses” when singing the Fresh Prince theme.

Sorry about the rant, now onto the tenors.

Stupid. Utterly stupid. This was them using the national anthem for more of a publicity stunt to try and get Americans liking them. In Canada, they were loved; they were trying to appeal to the States with this move. Go out and say something in an interview, don’t use the anthem as an interview.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    They haven't officially changed it, but it is in the making. Just interested in asking, why are people so opposed to changing the words? If Canadians are genuinely offended that the words are sexist (and let's be real; they are), then why not change them?

I know people claim "tradition", but it's that same argument that supports the name "Redskins", or slavery. Now granted, the words "in all thy sons command" is clearly not at the same level as "slavery", or even the team name "Redskins", but I am sure that everyone can appreciate that I am exaggerating to illustrate a point.

I don't see the big deal in changing it. It IS offensive. Change the words. Make people happy.

Rylant
    Except I'm a person, a Canadian Citizen, and their not making me happy by doing so. So your statement is short sighted as far as I'm concerned.

I'm proud to be Canadian, proud of this Country's reputation In the world, proud of the flag and proud of the Anthem I grew up signing.

It's less so the "all of us could command" adjustment, I am talking about the fisher price "we're all brothers and sisters..." In place of "with Glowing hearts, we see the rise..." Does playing nicely in the sand box with siblings now trump Glowing Hearts? Trump pride?

If this is just an adlib change by that group to try and make a political statement against racism, then they're just a bunch of donkeys misusing their opportunity to have the stage and voice.

But what's next. It IS tradition for me Rylant. And why is tradition so bad. Tradition provides foundation to me, commitment and a sense of warmth and familiarity.

All our son's implies Children of the country. Gender doesn't matter. As Mankind implies all of the huMAN race, gender aside.

People could consider things less literally IMO and look at the big picture. Nothing about O Canada suggests sexism, or racism. It denotes Homeland, pride, patriotism, strength and union to me. But that's just my opinion.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post

Rylant
    I was always told that line was to honour soldiers. I don’t really care about the words changing, but I do think this is the start.

The word change is official as of May this yr.

In 1990 they tried to change the “thy son” to “of us” or whatever that passed this time. But they also wanted to change the line “our home and native land” to “our home and cherished land” because native land was not appropriate for the Canadians who weren’t native-born.

Then all the “God” references in it came into MASSIVE question in 2000 because it’s not everyone’s God that was being referenced.

My only concern is does this have a snowball effect. They’ve fixed “sexism” in the anthem, what other “-isms” will be next?

Oh well, we’ll always be in the American anthem. Rockets’ Red Glare is us shooting flares into the sky during The War of 1812…WHICH WE WON! Only War “USA” (guess it wasn’t USA yet) admit they lost.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll