Thread: Who's my Final Keeper? Reimer or Eberle? (+)

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Who's my Final Keeper? Reimer or Eberle? (+)

Question1
    I recently moved Neal for Eberle in a deal as I just feel better about keeping Eberle and/or trying to move him over Neal should he not be a keeper for me. His name and the thought of potentially playing with McD seems to hold far more weight then Neal playing with RyJo.

Team in Sig... Goalies hold incredible importance in my league (as you can see). Top 3 goalies usually out fan point the best skater every single year. I feel pretty good with Crawford and Jones.

I was waiting to see what happened with Reimer (this past weekend) because Reimer always seems to hold sneaky good value in our league. The signing in Florida has me perplexed though. Not a clear cut run to any starting position, but 5 years with Lou hurt and 39 seems to suggest that maybe they are auditioning Reimer to be the #1 eventually there. Clearly he starts out that way this year.

As such, I'm still left wondering who to keep as my final keeper for a team coming off back to back championships.

I will be drafting Matthews or Laine as my 2nd overall pick.

Knowing that, do I go into the draft with a 3rd tender (Crawford, Jones and Reimer)? and then look to draft Laine 2nd and then the best forward available at 12 and my 5th D at 16?
    or is my team stronger by keeping Kuch, Stone and Eberle (at RW), and then hope that Laine is LW eligible to help out Hall and Drouin on that aside and draft the best Goalie available at 12/16 and then the best Forward/D with the other?

2nd unrelated question:
    Who of the 2016 draftees, if any, would be the best return for Karlsson? Mathews plus, or Laine plus? (Not for team in sig... another team, near last place looking to cash in on Karlsson and add some impactful young forwards which I'm starved for).

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: Who's my Final Keeper? Reimer or Eberle? (+)

Eberle. got to keep Eberle here.

I would never keep a goalie that is not guaranteed to be the starter in the current year. And you have two decent young tendies.

Dobber Sports Jedi

I'll take a stab at the 2nd question 1st... Karlsson is 26, your team is on average 26 or under (the majority of your keepers - Getz excluded) The best and only way you should be cashing in on Karlsson is KEEPING HIM. Especially starting 5D, you've got an advantage on every other team based on your weighted scoring system. I would not move him.

As for your main question... are goals against really -10? Just so I understand, if a goalie wins a game 4-3 with 20 saves, he would gain you 5 points? 15W + 20SV - 30 (3GA).

Eberle is going to get his fair share McDavid time even strength & PP. Reimer isn't going to get you a lot of starts as Lu's back up. If you're going to keep a 3rd G I'd keep a starting goalie. Otherwise you're limiting the value of that roster spot. Especially if Reimer's spot starts come on a day when both Crawford & Jones are playing.

It would be Eberle for me. And while Matthews/Laine are nice new shiny objects, you have the shiniest object of all in Karlsson on D. Even if you were beginning a rebuild, he would be a piece to hang on to based on his age.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Titan

Lots of questions!
    First off, I think Reimer is a great option, but Eberle has a little more value and would be tougher to redraft/re-acquire right before the season. If you can peddle Eberle off for a decent return though, then I think going into the season with 3 goalies is a wonderful place to be.

If you're dealing Karlsson (not advised btw) then you want one of the top 3 coming back (I wouldn't take anyone else), along with some other very solid pieces. You should be able to fill most if not all of your holes in that kind of deal.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I would agree with Eberle over Reimer, but Reimer would be a decent 3rd, as long as you don't have to count on him. I would look at him as basically splitting starts with Luongo, who needed more rest last year, and the Panthers will be good. But since your points are largely based on scoring rather than peripheral categories, is there anywhere you can add scoring by packaging two or more non-keepers? For example, can you package Fabbri and Reimer to get a 3rd goalie upgrade?

As for Karlsson, you would definitely need high end of the 2016 draft and then some, as none of them are proven in the NHL. Who do you have left if you get rid of him, and is that adequate to hold you?

20-team NHL cap keeper; auction salaries w/contracts; 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 3B, 18 farm
    H2H Cat Wins: G, A, Pts, 2G+A, DPts, PIM, SOG, Hits, Blks, FO%, STG, GWG, G Wins, GAA, Save %, ShO
    C: Stamkos, Toews, DRyan, Compher, Fisher, Haula
    LW: Lucic, Tkachuk, Eriksson Ek, Connor
    RW: Radulov, Tarasenko, JWilliams, Point, Callahan
    D: Braun, Del Zotto, McNabb, CMiller, Petry, Subban, Butcher
    G: Andersen, Rinne
    Farm: Anderson-Dolan, Beaudin, O?Regan, Suzuki, Kayumov, Bastian, Pu, Meloche, Pionk, Poolman, Montembault, Hill

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Thanks guys,

Regarding Karlsson, again, this is NOT for the team in Sig. I'm talking a last place team who's trying to build around young guys like Drouin, Fiala, Hanifin, Klefbom, (Soon to draft Tkachuck) and Gibson. Karlsson was my 1st pick (16th overall) in the inaugural draft. But this league is so deep (24) and I feel that now is the time to try and turn the best fantasy D in the world into a couple high end prospects if I can. I already am guaranteed the 4th pick (Tkachuk). Thinking pick 1, 2 or 3 plus a decent young forward (or D back) would be a step in the right direction for King Karlsson. (Sorry about the confusion here... trying to disguise this question a bit, although I fully expect the usual suspects to chime in from the league... lol)

As for Eberle/Reimer. I think I agree. Reimer may be a nice piece to have, but probably best to try and grab him at pick 12 or even 16. Failing Reimer, I'm hearing good things about Hutton in St.Lou, Nillson in Buffalo and even Saros in Nashville and perhaps Montoya in Montreal (all behind seemingly fragile #1's in fairly good Goalie habitats). Provided Crow and Jones stay healthy (Big if), I'm only looking for about 30-35 starts season long.

Unless someone comes knocking for Eberle (who I still prefer over Neal... that was a 1 for 1) atleast I'll have my 3 C's and 3 RW's locked up. Hopefully Laine comes in LW eligible (too early to tell what Yahoo assigns to him).

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by finminer View Post
    I would agree with Eberle over Reimer, but Reimer would be a decent 3rd, as long as you don't have to count on him. I would look at him as basically splitting starts with Luongo, who needed more rest last year, and the Panthers will be good. But since your points are largely based on scoring rather than peripheral categories, is there anywhere you can add scoring by packaging two or more non-keepers? For example, can you package Fabbri and Reimer to get a 3rd goalie upgrade?

As for Karlsson, you would definitely need high end of the 2016 draft and then some, as none of them are proven in the NHL. Who do you have left if you get rid of him, and is that adequate to hold you?
    My D Core would look like Hanifin, Klefbom, Dillon, Orpik, Ouellet, (Hicketts and Dermott on the farm)... But what I lose on my Blue line I'd presumable gain on 1 or 2 of my forward positions. I have absolutely no Centers of any significance (Glendening, Z. Smith and Burmistrov... not to mention the skilled and savy Nestrasil )

The Great One

A few things to keep in mind:
    1. Luongo had off-season hip surgery and won't be ready to start the year. If all goes well he returns in November. But who knows with these things. (There's a reason Florida picked up Berra AND signed Reimer).
    2. The Panthers play 15 back-to-back games this year.
    3. The Panthers either have to expose Luongo or Reimer to expansion next year. Luongo does not have a full NMC, and I wouldn't be shocked if he is exposed. No idea if LV would bite, but Reimer could have a starting gig on a very good team as soon as 2017-18.
    4. And if Luongo stays in Florida, due to his very heavy front loaded contract, I expect him to retire early. I don't expect him to play until he is 43.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    My D Core would look like Hanifin, Klefbom, Dillon, Orpik, Ouellet, (Hicketts and Dermott on the farm)... But what I lose on my Blue line I'd presumable gain on 1 or 2 of my forward positions. I have absolutely no Centers of any significance (Glendening, Z. Smith and Burmistrov... not to mention the skilled and savy Nestrasil )
    Sounds to me like you want to pull one of the big stones out of the base of the dam, breaking it into pieces, and then using the smaller pieces to plug other holes.
    Maybe a bit of a stretch on the comparison, but I hope you get the idea. You can probably fit Cs in a less drastic way than trading Karlsson.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Sounds to me like you want to pull one of the big stones out of the base of the dam, breaking it into pieces, and then using the smaller pieces to plug other holes.
    Maybe a bit of a stretch on the comparison, but I hope you get the idea. You can probably fit Cs in a less drastic way than trading Karlsson.
    That provided some fun imagery for me. Get your point. Thank you sir. (I'm probably crazy with the idea that I can Indana Jones the big stone from the base of the damn whilst replacing it with nearly as big a stone (Matthews/Laine)... just a little different shape and younger with potential to grow further stabilizing said Damn)...

Dobber Sports Titan

That provided some fun imagery for me. Get your point. Thank you sir. (I'm probably crazy with the idea that I can Indana Jones the big stone from the base of the damn whilst replacing it with nearly as big a stone (Matthews/Laine)... just a little different shape and younger with potential to grow further stabilizing said Damn)...

If you manage to pull off Laine plus 3 other stones that are 60-80% of the size of the big stone, then maybe you can make some progress. It's just very tough to recover from (and replace) that first big stone at the base.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    A few things to keep in mind:
    1. Luongo had off-season hip surgery and won't be ready to start the year. If all goes well he returns in November. But who knows with these things. (There's a reason Florida picked up Berra AND signed Reimer).
    2. The Panthers play 15 back-to-back games this year.
    3. The Panthers either have to expose Luongo or Reimer to expansion next year. Luongo does not have a full NMC, and I wouldn't be shocked if he is exposed. No idea if LV would bite, but Reimer could have a starting gig on a very good team as soon as 2017-18.
    4. And if Luongo stays in Florida, due to his very heavy front loaded contract, I expect him to retire early. I don't expect him to play until he is 43.
    All great points Als_revenge. And points that I had been considering and were factors in me even considering Reimer over Eberle. I guess it comes down to whether it's more likely that I can sore Eberle at 12 or Reimer at 12.

Dobber Sports Stud

Based on the same day schedule, Reimer could pay dividens here assuming he splits starts with Lu.
    On a monday to Sunday schedule
    Chicago plays: 4, 16, 6, 12, 16, 14, 14 with 14 back to backs
    SanJose Plays: 6, 19, 8, 15, 8, 20, 6 with 16 back to backs
    Florida plays: 7, 16, 6, 18, 10, 19, 6 with 15 back to backs
    #1 Yahoo Keep 5, 14 teams
    C, C, RW, LW, F, F, D, D, D, Uti, G, G, BN, BN, BN, BN
    G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, FOW~W, L, GAA, Sv%, saves, SO

McDavid C
    , Kadri C, Zibanejad C, Mackinnon C, Boldy LW/RW, Backlund C, Duchene C/RW, Fantilli C, Batherson LW/RW, Forsberg LW, Zegras C IR, Mintyukov D, Dunn D, Seider D, Hellebucyk G, Kochetkov, Bobrovsky G

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by J0e Th0rnton View Post
    Based on the same day schedule, Reimer could pay dividens here assuming he splits starts with Lu.
    On a monday to Sunday schedule
    Chicago plays: 4, 16, 6, 12, 16, 14, 14 with 14 back to backs
    SanJose Plays: 6, 19, 8, 15, 8, 20, 6 with 16 back to backs
    Florida plays: 7, 16, 6, 18, 10, 19, 6 with 15 back to backs
    Awesome! Tks for the numbers. Definitely a chance to pay dividends if the starts work out. Some may say that Eberle, whether or not he plays with McDavid, but especially if he plays with McDavid EVERY night may pay dividends too. ?'s and what if's all over the place!

I see pro's on each side.

Dobber Sports Stud

Awesome! Tks for the numbers. Definitely a chance to pay dividends if the starts work out. Some may say that Eberle, whether or not he plays with McDavid, but especially if he plays with McDavid EVERY night may pay dividends too. ?'s and what if's all over the place!

I see pro's on each side.
    Eberle's point total for the year in 69 games was 25 goals and 22 assists for 47 points
    Eberle scored 14 goals and 11 assists from when McDavid came back February 2nd on in 32 games. That leaves 37 games in which he scored 11 goals and 11 assists. So he definitely got a perceived bump in production.

However he may have been a bit rusty and shaking off the last of the shoulder injury since he only scored 3 goals 0 assists in his first 13 games and was -11 AND was adapting to another new coach.

He was very productive without McDavid for near 2 months between December 4th and February 1st(Jan 23rd really. All star break.) with 8 goals and 11 assists in 24 games.

It really comes down to how much you believe in the McDavid effect. As a McDavid owner in a keeper league, I can't say for sure yet after watching him play last year that he had much a bump on Eberle. He definitely had a bump on Yakupov.

One + on Eberle's side is you KNOW he will play, while Reimer may platoon and get less starts than Lu, but he does appear to be the heir apparent to Florida. They can choose to protect either one depending on performance this year. I suspect Florida made promises of a decent amount of starts since he signed a 5 year, 3.4 million a year contract.
    #1 Yahoo Keep 5, 14 teams
    C, C, RW, LW, F, F, D, D, D, Uti, G, G, BN, BN, BN, BN
    G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, FOW~W, L, GAA, Sv%, saves, SO

McDavid C
    , Kadri C, Zibanejad C, Mackinnon C, Boldy LW/RW, Backlund C, Duchene C/RW, Fantilli C, Batherson LW/RW, Forsberg LW, Zegras C IR, Mintyukov D, Dunn D, Seider D, Hellebucyk G, Kochetkov, Bobrovsky G