Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: [Trade] P.K. Subban for Shea Weber

Dobber Sports Guru

Default Re: [Trade] P.K. Subban for Shea Weber

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    You know what gets me in all of this is that everyone traded yesterday has made a statement.. Larsson, Hall, PK... but nothing from Weber about leaving Nashville (finally) and about joining the Habs. Not a peep from the guy who finally got his way and is heading to the biggest and most important hockey market in the World. I want no part of Shea Weber.
    I think I heard that Weber is on a boat somewhere on holidays and it is very tough to reach him. It took the GMs a while just to tell him he has been traded.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    I think I heard that Weber is on a boat somewhere on holidays and it is very tough to reach him. It took the GMs a while just to tell him he has been traded.
    If I was him I would stay there...
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Pro

biggest and most important hockey market in the World
    Not saying this is wrong, just wondering how it is quantified as the biggest and most important hockey market. The New York Rangers are worth slightly more than the Canadiens, but I imagine you were referring to some other metric. (this is not me being a punk, I am genuinely curious.)

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by BreadManPanarin View Post
    Not saying this is wrong, just wondering how it is quantified as the biggest and most important hockey market. The New York Rangers are worth slightly more than the Canadiens, but I imagine you were referring to some other metric. (this is not me being a punk, I am genuinely curious.)
    yea i was wondering when Weber got traded to Toronto

Dobber Sports Master

Habs sell way more than the Rangers (tix, merch, tv), are covered in way more media outlets and way more regularly and have (I will venture), way, way more fans that follow the team from parts all over the World. I meant it more in terms of serving as a comparison to Nashville instead of the nuts and bolts of a Forbes valuation. They are also a way more storied and successful franchise.. Think Yankees of hockey, if Leafs are the Red Sox and Rangers are the Cubs maybe..
    Blades of Steel

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Veteran

some people use the Stanley Cup wins to quantify this but honestly...Canada is the most important hockey market in the world and we saw that this playoffs.
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by evans334 View Post
    some people use the Stanley Cup wins to quantify this but honestly...Canada is the most important hockey market in the world and we saw that this playoffs.
    Indeed.. Hell, the radio chatter this morning was all about how this move will help the Nashville market lol. I heard absolutely zilch about how Weber will do anything for the Montreal market. Shea Weber pavilion at the Montreal Hospital? I doubt it.. Shea Weber charity _______ classic? I doubt it... I don't think he does anything for seat sales either... certainly not merch... or Nashville would have never let him go, but they did and are grinning ear to ear to have PK, an equally skilled hockey player oozing with marketability instead of a bearded robot who is slow of foot with a hard shot.
    Blades of Steel

Saros, Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Stud

You know what gets me in all of this is that everyone traded yesterday has made a statement.. Larsson, Hall, PK... but nothing from Weber about leaving Nashville (finally) and about joining the Habs. Not a peep from the guy who finally got his way and is heading to the biggest and most important hockey market in the World. I want no part of Shea Weber.
    He did comment. Listened to it yesterday on the RDS website.

I'm annoyed. It's a bad hockey trade and I wished the team team could have worked things out, whatever the issue was. But let's keep some perspective.

- - - Updated - - -

He did comment. Listened to it yesterday on the RDS website.

I'm annoyed. It's a bad hockey trade and I wished the team team could have worked things out, whatever the issue was. But let's keep some perspective.

Dobber Sports Genius

Indeed.. Hell, the radio chatter this morning was all about how this move will help the Nashville market lol. I heard absolutely zilch about how Weber will do anything for the Montreal market. Shea Weber pavilion at the Montreal Hospital? I doubt it.. Shea Weber charity _______ classic? I doubt it... I don't think he does anything for seat sales either... certainly not merch... or Nashville would have never let him go, but they did and are grinning ear to ear to have PK, an equally skilled hockey player oozing with marketability instead of a bearded robot who is slow of foot with a hard shot.
    Well, Weber is big and strong and mean. If they were contending for a Cup this year and/or next, I could see making a case for this trade. Add Weber and Shaw, and that changes the complexion of the team a bit. Unfortunately, the Habs aren't in that position, and they traded a younger superstar for an older vet. I do feel bad for Habs fans. It's BS. However, you've still got Price, and Galchenyuk is a year older, and some other very solid players. With Price and an average-to-above-average team in front of him, anything can happen. It's not a good trade, but it's still not all doom and gloom unless/until Price leaves.

Dobber Sports Titan

With this among with all of your other comments, I invite you to take a deep breath, and relax. This is not the end of the world. Montreal and Nashville traded all-star right handed D-men, and hockey minds greater, with more experience, and with more advisors than us, made the deal in the best interest of their teams. Shea and PK play very different styles, and my initial reaction to the deal, as a Nashville fan, was actually dislike. I love Weber, and he is someone that Montreal will grow to love as well. As long as you don't all jump down his throat before he gets there anyways… There is a reason that Toews was thankful that Weber has left the conference. He plays a style that is very heavy, and that no one likes to play against. The Canadians have been trying to acquire that for the last few years now! Weber has also been one of the steadiest captains of recent years, and the dressing room/team/coach will love him. As for the on ice fit, we will have to reserve full judgement until we actually see games played. One of the two could not fit into the new system, or it could be a win-win, that brings both teams an improvement on last year (An improvement for the Canadians on where they would have been with Price).

I don't feel like going into player numbers/stats, because as the Norris debate always proves, defence is a lot harder to quantify with numbers. Yes some of them do point to PK being the better possession driver, but Josi does also take away a lot of the need for Weber to carry the puck out of the zone. The numbers will completely change with new systems.

The contracts are not a win one way or the other either, because you may think it unfortunate from Montreal's point of view to have the longer contract, but Nashville is actually shouldering more risk here. If Weber is to retire before his contract is up, then Nashville will have to deal with the recapture penalties. If he retires a year before his deal is up (age 39) then he will cause a recapture penalty of $6.9 Million dollars for a smaller market team! That is nothing to sneeze at, and really hurts a team's ability to be competitive.

It is extremely tough for me to lose one of my favourite players off of my favourite team, but I am moving forward, and happily awaiting welcoming in a new player in PK Subban for the new season. I recommend you do the same with Weber.

//endrant
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Superstar

Wow, I'm glad we're not getting any over-the-top knee-jerk responses to this trade.

I'd be bummed about losing Subban, too. But get a grip.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Instant Karma View Post
    Wow, I'm glad we're not getting any over-the-top knee-jerk responses to this trade.
    As usual your sarcasm is wonderful
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Pro

Habs sell way more than the Rangers (tix, merch, tv), are covered in way more media outlets and way more regularly and have (I will venture), way, way more fans that follow the team from parts all over the World. I meant it more in terms of serving as a comparison to Nashville instead of the nuts and bolts of a Forbes valuation. They are also a way more storied and successful franchise.. Think Yankees of hockey, if Leafs are the Red Sox and Rangers are the Cubs maybe..
    Okay. I was just trying to gauge whether it was a fact that they are the biggest and most important hockey market, or merely a fan's opinion. Thus, I was hoping for some actual numbers.

Per Forbes:
    Rangers revenue 2015 $229mil, gate receipts $106mil, revenue per fan $34
    Canadiens revenue 2015 $219mil, gate receipts $86mil, revenue per fan $57

Yankees revenue 2015 $516mil, gate receipts $259mil, revenue per fan $54
    Redsocks revenue 2015 $398mil, gate receipts $176mil, revenue per fan $86

Not the most apt metaphor. Canadiens, Rangers, Leafs are pretty much equal at the top and there doesn't appear to really be a dominant "Yankees" of hockey.

Again, not trying to be a punk. I just think in terms of numbers so when I hear statements like that I feel the need to see if numbers back it up. We can certainly agree that the Habs are a way bigger market than the Preds! Thanks for humoring me.

Dobber Sports Master

Eskimo, Karma,

My reaction is one that just squarely comes from losing a beloved, entertaining and excellent hockey player in exchange for an excellent hockey player. Weber is not a bad hockey player, but all signs to the reasons for this deal point to not being the stats, or even the contract. Some people didn't like PK's attitude. I did. In my opinion, he was a reason to watch the Habs. I can't say Weber will deliver on the same front, in the same way. If MB and Moslon and company felt that it was better for the Habs to have less personality and community impact, fine, but I disagree. Even if Weber and Subban are of equal efficiency on the ice, and hell, even if someone wants to argue that Weber is a hair better... that doesn't matter. What matters to people are their reasons to support one team or tune in to watch. PK was mine and I lost that and yes, I will react, since I am human and not one of those hockey robots that some of the big wigs seem to like. I think THAT was the reason for the deal, and I will never agree with that.

Ok I am done on the topic now. I have talked enough and am sick of my own voice.
    Blades of Steel

Saros, Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Master

Okay. I was just trying to gauge whether it was a fact that they are the biggest and most important hockey market, or merely a fan's opinion. Thus, I was hoping for some actual numbers.

Per Forbes:
    Rangers revenue 2015 $229mil, gate receipts $106mil, revenue per fan $34
    Canadiens revenue 2015 $219mil, gate receipts $86mil, revenue per fan $57

Yankees revenue 2015 $516mil, gate receipts $259mil, revenue per fan $54
    Redsocks revenue 2015 $398mil, gate receipts $176mil, revenue per fan $86

Not the most apt metaphor. Canadiens, Rangers, Leafs are pretty much equal at the top and there doesn't appear to really be a dominant "Yankees" of hockey.

Again, not trying to be a punk. I just think in terms of numbers so when I hear statements like that I feel the need to see if numbers back it up. We can certainly agree that the Habs are a way bigger market than the Preds! Thanks for humoring me.
    Hyperbole to make a point. I wonder if some of the numbers have to do with the fact that the report is in USD and the people in at the gate in Canada pay in CAD so the prices would have to be adjusted to reflect that, but perhaps it was already reflected. In either case, as I said, hyperbole to make a point, which is one is heading to a small potatoes hockey market, while the other is heading to a giant.
    Blades of Steel

Saros, Shesterkin