Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: [Rumour] Sabres all-in on Stamkos

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: [Rumour] Sabres all-in on Stamkos

Quote Originally Posted by Instant Karma View Post
    I seriously doubt that he's going to Buffalo for the reasons given throughout, but on the other hand I think the whole "hometown" thing tends to be overblown more often than not.
    I tend to agree with you. But in this sports context, it might be less overblown than it typically is. The whole Lebron bringing a championship back to his beloved (and desperate) city narrative is front page news. Maybe Stammer's watching thinking...that could be me.
    Yahoo 12 team H2H Keeper (Keep 7 vets; 3 prospects (Skater < 201 GP; Goalie < 101GP)

Categories: G, A, P, PIM, +/-, PPP, SOG, FW, Hits, Blocks, W, GAA, Sv% Saves

Start 3LW, 3C, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 8Bn

C: Crosby, RNH, Stepan, Faksa
    LW: Ovechkin, Benn, Jenner (c), Komarov (c, rw), Dano
    RW: Voracek (lw), Neal, Hornqvist, Silfverberg, Buchnevich (lw), Boeser
    D: Karlsson, Letang, Ellis, Muzzin, Slavin, Boychuk
    G: Price, Bernier, Grubauer, Pickard

Dobber Sports Expert

Except Lebron already had titles when he went to Cleveland so it took some of that title hunger out of the equation. Leafs are not close to competing for a title and I do believe Stamkos is hungrier for a title than to return home.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Goldendelicious View Post
    Except Lebron already had titles when he went to Cleveland so it took some of that title hunger out of the equation. Leafs are not close to competing for a title and I do believe Stamkos is hungrier for a title than to return home.
    Not to mention that the Cavs were Lebron's original team. Had Stamkos had been drafted by the Leafs, played there in futility for awhile, then signed or was traded somewhere else and won a Cup or two, then, yeah, that would be a different story.

But that isn't the narrative here.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Sure the Cavs title and Lebron situation doesn't perfectly mirror the Stamkos and Leafs situation. But Stamkos is seeing the adoration of a fanbase when the hometown boy ends a championship drought. You really think that has no impact on a player?
    Yahoo 12 team H2H Keeper (Keep 7 vets; 3 prospects (Skater < 201 GP; Goalie < 101GP)

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by PensInThree View Post
    Sure the Cavs title and Lebron situation doesn't perfectly mirror the Stamkos and Leafs situation. But Stamkos is seeing the adoration of a fanbase when the hometown boy ends a championship drought. You really think that has no impact on a player?
    It's not just that it doesn't "perfectly mirror" it, that would be nit-picking. It's that the only common thread whatsoever is that Lebron is from Cleveland and that Stamkos is from Toronto. That's where the similarities end.

History shows that playing in the hometown tends to not drive FA decisions. Sure Stamkos could be an exception to that, but in the meantime I'll bet on the trend.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I disagree.

There's also the fact that Toronto is NHL championship starved, and Cleveland was championship starved entirely. Being the hometown Star/Captain to finally end the laughingstock and perennial underacheiver weight of history is a big deal.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    All this center vs wing talk.

One thing should be noted.

If Stamkos signs anywhere for 12M it will strictly be about the money. Not what position he is going to play.
    Amen to that. This debate has been going on for a year now. No one knew last June....and no one knows this June. We'll all know this July. I assume there are going to be plenty of bidders.

Dobber Sports Superstar

I disagree.

There's also the fact that Toronto is NHL championship starved, and Cleveland was championship starved entirely. Being the hometown Star/Captain to finally end the laughingstock and perennial underacheiver weight of history is a big deal.
    Yes, that would indeed be a big deal. Your mistake is to assume that would make it a desirable deal.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I disagree.

Biggest difference in my mind is that you can't just insert a couple stars onto an NHL team and suddenly they are one of the best teams in the league. In the NBA you can. Stamkos is an idiot if he thinks him going there is going to suddenly make the Leafs a Cup contender. He'll still have a long road ahead of him.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by iwinthings View Post
    Biggest difference in my mind is that you can't just insert a couple stars onto an NHL team and suddenly they are one of the best teams in the league. In the NBA you can. Stamkos is an idiot if he thinks him going there is going to suddenly make the Leafs a Cup contender. He'll still have a long road ahead of him.
    Add Stamkos, Matthews and another D to what is there now, have Babcock coach them up, it's not out of the realm of possibility to see the Leafs in the playoffs as soon as this year. Nobody thought much of San Jose before the season but they made it pretty far in the Western Conference.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by iwinthings View Post
    Agreed, that's a huge difference between the NBA and NHL. It's not just Stamkos though - there are real changes happening in Toronto that might lead a reasonable person in Stamkos' position to think that the Leafs challenging for a Cup in the next 5-7 years is realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Instant Karma View Post
    Yes, that would indeed be a big deal. Your mistake is to assume that would make it a desirable deal.
    My argument was this:
    a) agreeing with you that the hometown aspect is usually simply a media story
    b) pointing out that there's a public sports narrative with some similarities to the Stammer/Leafs case
    c) refuting your suggestion that the only similarity is the hometown element, by pointing out another similarity: namely, that both cities are championship starved and a championship won there would be extra meaningful for fans given the decades of mediocrity.

My point is straightforward: the fact that the Cavs won this summer led by Lebron (and that accomplishment is all over the media) might make the Stamkos hometown connection more compelling for Steve.

I'm not even sure how what you're saying is related to this. Yes, when talking about the hometown connection I (and everyone else) assume the player would want to return. Yes, that's not always the case. Some people just want to get the hell out. Probably some athletes too. But, given that the desire to return home is assumed for there to be any connection at all - it's a fairly safe assumption that the player also wants to bring a championship home, no?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Glatt View Post
    Add Stamkos, Matthews and another D to what is there now, have Babcock coach them up, it's not out of the realm of possibility to see the Leafs in the playoffs as soon as this year. Nobody thought much of San Jose before the season but they made it pretty far in the Western Conference.
    Sure, I mean they have a puncher's shot just like the rest of the teams in the league, but it's not like the NBA where you stick a couple superstars together and you have a team that has a real shot at winning it all. I just feel like if he's going to the dead last team in the league thinking that they will be a top tier team in short order that he's setting himself up for some big time disappointment.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Agreed, that's a huge difference between the NBA and NHL. It's not just Stamkos though - there are real changes happening in Toronto that might lead a reasonable person in Stamkos' position to think that the Leafs challenging for a Cup in the next 5-7 years is realistic.

My argument was this:
    a) agreeing with you that the hometown aspect is usually simply a media story
    b) pointing out that there's a public sports narrative with some similarities to the Stammer/Leafs case
    c) refuting your suggestion that the only similarity is the hometown element, by pointing out another similarity: namely, that both cities are championship starved and a championship won there would be extra meaningful for fans given the decades of mediocrity.

My point is straightforward: the fact that the Cavs won this summer led by Lebron (and that accomplishment is all over the media) might make the Stamkos hometown connection more compelling for Steve.

I'm not even sure how what you're saying is related to this. Yes, when talking about the hometown connection I (and everyone else) assume the player would want to return. Yes, that's not always the case. Some people just want to get the hell out. Probably some athletes too. But, given that the desire to return home is assumed for there to be any connection at all - it's a fairly safe assumption that the player also wants to bring a championship home, no?

It's not that it "isn't always the case", it's that it's almost never the case. So it would be a rash assumption to make.

My argument is simple, in a nutshell it's that the priorities of fandom rarely drive the priorities of the player. You may feel comfy comparing this to the Lebron situation; I don't. The whole Lebron saga is an outlier.

I don't know why you'd be having trouble understanding what I've been posting. It ain't real complicated.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Ninja

The NBA comparison is absurd...

Lebron single-handedly makes any team a championship contender.

Stamkos can't even single-handedly make any team a playoff contender.

In any event, I would love to see Stammer go to BUF for $12M because at that price the Leafs we certainly be out of the sweepstakes haha