Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gibson, Hellebuyck or Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Gibson, Hellebuyck or Vasilevskiy

I am wondering who of the above mentioned would be the best option both shortterm and longterm for a 14 team full keeper dynasty league that values goalies A LOT.

Who would you pick if all three were available, and why

Thank You All
    12 team full keeper dynasty league HeadtoHead - Point-Based

G/ A/P/ PPP/+/-/PIM/SOG/FOW/Hit/TK/BLK/GA/SV/SHO/W

C - Johansen, Giroux, Seguin, Hughes
    LW - Laine, Benn, Landeskog, Ehlers
    RW - Eberle, Bjorkstrand, Tkachuk, Boeser
    D - Seider, Doughty, Jones, D. Hamilton
    G - Andersen, Fleury, Saros
    Prospects - Guenther, Hofer, Lundkvist,

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Gibson, Hellebuyck or Vasilevskiy

Considering these are three of the best prospect goalies coming up the pipe (Murray could be included in that discussion as well), you are going to get lots of varying opinions, the majority will be based upon personal preference more than anything else.

All three goalies project to be excellent tenders for their respective teams and I don't know if there's really a right or wrong answer to your question as far as the best option short and long term.

My personal opinion, I prefer them in this order:

Vasilevskiy
    Hellebucyk
    Gibson

I have Gibson at the bottom because he's had to battle through some injuries early in his career so that makes me a bit nervous, but not nervous enough that I wouldn't consider owning him in any of my leagues; just not above the other two. As far as Vasilevskiy at the top, again it's just a person opinion. He seems to have the most experience at the NHL level and I like the fact that the Lightning haven't rushed him in his development. Sometimes, rushing guys can set them back more than it can help. Again, just my opinion.

No matter who you go with here, you will be happy I'd say.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I really don't think there is a wrong answer here.. All three of these guys project to be starters and the future of their respective teams..

It is going to be interesting to see what Tampa Bay does with Bishop and what the Anaheim Ducks do with Andersen..

We all know that Hellebuyck has a clear path to the starters role in Winnipeg..

Right now I rank them like this:

Hellebuyck (forsure starter for up and coming Winnipeg)
    Vasilevskiy (Projects to be starter for a really solid TB team)
    Gibson (Should be the starter, but what happens when Getzlaf, Perry, Kesler slow down even more)
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Expert

Based on talent (imo):
    Gibson
    Vasilevskiy
    Hellebuyck

Based on Opportunity (time to full starter):
    Hellebuyck
    Gibson
    Vasilevskiy

How I'd Rank 'Em:
    Gibson...if he overcomes his injury battles, I think he's no doubt #1
    Hellebuyck...as said, up and coming WPG team and Pavs is not an obstacle
    Vasilevskiy...we have zero certainty that he stays in TB

These guys are 22 & 23 so its still a crapshoot really

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    I really don't think there is a wrong answer here.. All three of these guys project to be starters and the future of their respective teams..

It is going to be interesting to see what Tampa Bay does with Bishop and what the Anaheim Ducks do with Andersen..

Gibson (Should be the starter, but what happens when Getzlaf, Perry, Kesler slow down even more)
    This ^, but you there is no wrong answer here!
    16 GMs with 15 Keepers, Pts only, Top 9F,4D,1G count
    2020 & 2013 UFHL Champion

McDavid/Draisatl/Scheifele/Malkin/Marchand/
    Hall/Voracek/Nugent-Hopkins/Bergeron/Giroux

Hedman/Hamilton/Doughty/Ellis/Nurse

Grubauer

Dobber Sports Titan

Personally I don't see Vasi as being as talented as the other two, but it's not far off. He also does have the better team for now.
    For now, and a few years down the road, my list is the same.
    Helle
    Gibson
    Vasi
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Stud

Hellebuyck has the highest upside and biggest opportunity IMO, he'd be my pick.
    Yahoo! 1 year league, 9 teams, Points only [G (3pts), A (2pts), PPP (1pt), Hits (0.1pt) *** W (4pts), Goals Against (-2pts), SV (0.2pt), SO (3pms)
    C: McDavid, Couturier, Kopitar, D.Strome
    LW: Guentzel, Connor, Miller, Kaprizov
    RW: Stamkos, Stone, Teravainen, Tatar
    D: Dahlin, Theodore, Andersson, Dumba
    G: Shersterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Stud

well, vasilevskiy had better be higher than hellebuyck, since I trade helly to goldenlicious last week for vasilevskiy!!!
    now, in all seriousness, I think that for this season, i'd go Gibson, helly and then vas, all based on opportunity, but long term, it would be the opposite. the lightning are bringing vas along slowly, but he's clearly their guy for the future. and he's got the most talent of the bunch as well. and the best team in front of him, both short and long term. I don't think helly steals the starter's job from pavelec this season as easily as others think, and Gibson's got a clear path to the starter's job if Andersen gets traded, which is very likely. but he is very injury prone, which is why long term i'd have him after the other 2.
    in 3-4 years, we'll be talking about vasilevskiy like we talk about holtby and price now.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by forsbergfan View Post
    well, vasilevskiy had better be higher than hellebuyck, since I trade helly to goldenlicious last week for vasilevskiy!!!
    now, in all seriousness, I think that for this season, i'd go Gibson, helly and then vas, all based on opportunity, but long term, it would be the opposite. the lightning are bringing vas along slowly, but he's clearly their guy for the future. and he's got the most talent of the bunch as well. and the best team in front of him, both short and long term. I don't think helly steals the starter's job from pavelec this season as easily as others think, and Gibson's got a clear path to the starter's job if Andersen gets traded, which is very likely. but he is very injury prone, which is why long term i'd have him after the other 2.
    in 3-4 years, we'll be talking about vasilevskiy like we talk about holtby and price now.
    I had to rank Vas at the bottom in my rank incase you came reading

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post

This would be my rationale as well, and why I acquired Hellebuyck in my keeper league.

As others have stated before, expansion could play a huge role in if/when these prospects advance to no. 1 status, especially Gibson and Vasilevskiy.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Goldendelicious View Post
    Based on talent (imo):
    Gibson
    Vasilevskiy
    Hellebuyck

Based on Opportunity (time to full starter):
    Hellebuyck
    Gibson
    Vasilevskiy

How I'd Rank 'Em:
    Gibson...if he overcomes his injury battles, I think he's no doubt #1
    Hellebuyck...as said, up and coming WPG team and Pavs is not an obstacle
    Vasilevskiy...we have zero certainty that he stays in TB

These guys are 22 & 23 so its still a crapshoot really
    I like your ranking format, Golden, but I've got to respectfully disagree with your actual rankings...respectfully

Based on talent (imo):
    Vasilevskiy
    Hellebuyck
    Gibson

Based on Opportunity (time to full starter): *I think Tampa and Anaheim are going to free up that spot before Winnipeg does
    Gibson
    Vasilevskiy
    Hellebuyck

All in all I still like Hellebuyck a lot, but I'd probably be taking Vas
    DobberProspects Writer: Ex-Tampa Bay Lightning Prospects, Current New York Rangers Prospects @olaf1393

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

In an extremely deep keeper, would any one consider a trade of Gibson for Vas to be a prudent move... or inconsequential? Either would be my #2 up and coming keeper behind Dubnyk.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by olafson1393 View Post
    I like your ranking format, Golden, but I've got to respectfully disagree with your actual rankings...respectfully
    Everyone's entitled to their own opinions...this thread will have a lot differing views anyways

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    In an extremely deep keeper, would any one consider a trade of Gibson for Vas to be a prudent move... or inconsequential? Either would be my #2 up and coming keeper behind Dubnyk.
    See Forsbergfan's comment above...pretty similar scenario. In the end, it comes down to personal preference and who is highest on your list.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Considering these are three of the best prospect goalies coming up the pipe (Murray could be included in that discussion as well), you are going to get lots of varying opinions, the majority will be based upon personal preference more than anything else.

All three goalies project to be excellent tenders for their respective teams and I don't know if there's really a right or wrong answer to your question as far as the best option short and long term.

My personal opinion, I prefer them in this order:

Vasilevskiy
    Hellebucyk
    Gibson

I have Gibson at the bottom because he's had to battle through some injuries early in his career so that makes me a bit nervous, but not nervous enough that I wouldn't consider owning him in any of my leagues; just not above the other two. As far as Vasilevskiy at the top, again it's just a person opinion. He seems to have the most experience at the NHL level and I like the fact that the Lightning haven't rushed him in his development. Sometimes, rushing guys can set them back more than it can help. Again, just my opinion.

No matter who you go with here, you will be happy I'd say.
    This is a great post.

I think I agree with your preferences order in terms of talent. I think that order changes for short term and long term team options though.

Short term I think it should be

Gibson (If Anderson is traded, he's the starter. He's already basically platooning)
    Hellebuyck (he's the heir apparent and Pavelec isn't great though he's still there)
    Vasilevski (Bishop is entrenched for the time being)

Longer term I like

Hellebuyck (Pavelec is not going to be the long term starter. That's Hellebuyck)
    Vasilevski (still has Bishop to deal with. Talent is probably best but opportunity isn't as good as Hellebuyck's)
    Gibson (I like his talent the least. And his injuries concern me)
    14T BiWeekly H2H. 4 C/RW/LW, 6 D, 2 G
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

LW - Gaudreau, Forsberg, Parise, Hyman (C)
    C - Backstrom, Getzlaf, N Foligno (LW/RW), Kotkaniemi, Carter (LW/RW)
    RW - Tarasenko, Rantanen, Arvidsson, Atkinson, Gourde (C/LW), Mikheyev (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Ellis, Klingberg, Fox, Andersson
    G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Dobber is convinced that TB will sign Bishop. I must, respectfully, disagree with the great man. I think Vasilevsky stands between the pipes on Game 1 of this year as the undisputed starter.

I've got both Hellebuyck and Vasilevsky and to me it's a toss-up of who I can keep. I've got until September to make my decision. If you can wait to see what happens I would recommend that.

I've got Gibson way, way lower than these two in a keeper. Winnipeg and Tampa Bay are set up for long-term winning, and Anaheim, despite a really nice young D core, is on the way down. Getzlaf, Perry, Kesler are on the wrong side of 30 and it doesn't get better from here on out.