Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: [Imagined] The Montreal Canadiens land a top Free Agent on July 1st... but who?

Dobber Sports Giant

Default [Imagined] The Montreal Canadiens land a top Free Agent on July 1st... but who?

The Habs always seem to be in the mix when top names are discussed, but they rarely end up landing the given player. This is their year (I hope) as there is plenty of firepower, big bodies and leadership; pretty much everything they lack... So who do they end up landing?

- Stamkos
    - Lucic
    - Backes
    - Okposo
    - Ladd
    - Boedker
    - E. Staal
    - Radulov
    - Yandle
    - Other?
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: [Imagined] The Montreal Canadiens land a top Free Agent on July 1st... but who?

I could see them missing out on Stamkos and therefore going all out to sign Backes.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: [Imagined] The Montreal Canadiens land a top Free Agent on July 1st... but who?

Now that I think about it though, I don't know if Backes would want to relocate that far. Lucic is hated by the fans, but is now loved by Gallagher...
    Maybe Ladd is actually the best bet, but I could see this being like other years where they don't get any of the top 5 or so FAs
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

The Great One

If they miss out on Stamkos I think they are better off keeping the cap space than spending the money they would on some of those others (though in fairness I think the same for most other teams). The last thing they want to do is get stuck under a bad contract.

The player I think who will reach the potential of what he signs for is Yandle but I don't think the Habs need him

The Great One

Ladd would be the best fit, as he's still good enough to still post 50+ points and by having won two Cups he should be mentally prepared to play in a place like Montreal. What I fear will happen is they sign Staal, who seems like he'd make sense on paper but who I could see being an unmitigated disaster.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    The player I think who will reach the potential of what he signs for is Yandle but I don't think the Habs need him
    I added Yandle to the mix because I feel they actually DO need him

Markov is on his last breathe and all the PP point pressure falls on Subban. Yandle's defensive game is decent and he is consistently hitting 40+ points with a great vision on the PP. I think the Habs would welcome some help on the blue line with open arms, especially if it can give them that added weapon on the PP.
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    Ladd would be the best fit, as he's still good enough to still post 50+ points and by having won two Cups he should be mentally prepared to play in a place like Montreal. What I fear will happen is they sign Staal, who seems like he'd make sense on paper but who I could see being an unmitigated disaster.
    +1 for this. As much as I would love to see Stamkos in Montreal, I feel it's just too good to be true. Ladd could have a top-6 role with Montreal so that would be a good move. Staal on the other hand may be the last notable name on the list and if the Canadiens miss out on all the other big names; I too fear they may go ahead and try to land a ''name player'' just to create some buzz going into next season. I don't think Staal is fully done but I doubt he will be worth the money he is going to get...

Minors:

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    I added Yandle to the mix because I feel they actually DO need him

Markov is on his last breathe and all the PP point pressure falls on Subban. Yandle's defensive game is decent and he is consistently hitting 40+ points with a great vision on the PP. I think the Habs would welcome some help on the blue line with open arms, especially if it can give them that added weapon on the PP.
    but do they want him for the cap hit that he would merit? If they added him they would potentially have 15 - 17 million committed to two d men....

Dobber Sports Stud

I still think that Okposo is by far the best FA fit for the Habs.
    Yahoo! 1 year league, 9 teams, Points only [G (3pts), A (2pts), PPP (1pt), Hits (0.1pt) *** W (4pts), Goals Against (-2pts), SV (0.2pt), SO (3pms)
    C: McDavid, Couturier, Kopitar, D.Strome
    LW: Guentzel, Connor, Miller, Kaprizov
    RW: Stamkos, Stone, Teravainen, Tatar
    D: Dahlin, Theodore, Andersson, Dumba
    G: Shersterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    but do they want him for the cap hit that he would merit? If they added him they would potentially have 15 - 17 million committed to two d men....
    If it's money well spent, I think yes! Yandle is an expensive D, but he is worth the $. I would much rather have Yandle at 7-7.5 than Markov at 5.75. For this year, it would be alot of money tied on the D, but Markov is most likely gone at the end of this year so they will need that other blueliner either way. May as well have a guy in his prime (29-30 y/o) for 4-6 years IMO.

Minors:

Dobber Sports Guru

Ladd is the best fit. I'd like to see Lucic on the team, but the Habs don't play his style so he wouldn't be as effective. But a lot of this could come down to trades. Do the Habs go after someone like Hartnell to play in the top six, for example? If they do, then they'll probably stay quiet with free agents.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Dikoi View Post
    I love Okposo in NYI, but I fear the Habs do not have the Batman that this Robin needs... Maybe Plekanec can feed him, but I doubt he's able to produce similar numbers (60ish points) without some top-end talent at even strenght and on the PP like he had in Brooklyn. Then again, beggers won't be choosers and pretty much any of these names would be an added bonus no matter what their output is

Minors:

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    Ladd is the best fit.
    Can you explain why? I see absolutely no fit here, but that's just my opinion. If it's just about size, I don't think that's a good enough reason to sign him, same thing for Backes.
    Yahoo! 1 year league, 9 teams, Points only [G (3pts), A (2pts), PPP (1pt), Hits (0.1pt) *** W (4pts), Goals Against (-2pts), SV (0.2pt), SO (3pms)
    C: McDavid, Couturier, Kopitar, D.Strome
    LW: Guentzel, Connor, Miller, Kaprizov
    RW: Stamkos, Stone, Teravainen, Tatar
    D: Dahlin, Theodore, Andersson, Dumba
    G: Shersterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Stud

I don't think Stamkos is a high possibility because of cap implications. Price is the player who deserves 10+ per year on that team at the end of his current contract.
    Okposo and Ladd would be good fits, but not if they want to get paid like superstars.
    Boedker is a bit under the radar here, but Bergevin likes this type of player and he would fit on the top-6 (but not address the size issue).
    For some reason, I don't see Backes integrating this dressing room very well.
    Points-only keeper league. 12 teams. Keep any 12 players. Dress 12F - 6D - 2G.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Dikoi View Post
    I'll second this.
    They need a finishing winger.