Thread: Ekblad 3YP

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Ekblad 3YP

Hey guys!

How do you see Ekblad's 3 years projection? Fantasy-wise, do you see him flirting with Josi-like value? How soon? Considering +- and, to a lesser extent, hits, but mostly points, goals and PPpoints.
    H2H - 16 teams - Auction (225 $ cap), cap up to 300$ after auction on any drafted player.
    Keep 3, +7$ each year. Keep 5 farm (cost 1$ to dress).[/I]

Points (1), Defense goals (2), Powerplay Points (0.5), GWG (0.5), ShG (0.5)

10 F 4 D 1 G 5 bench 10 farm

F: Kucherov (41$), Pettersson (15$), Marner (29$), Wheller (55$), Landeskog (18$), Horvat (15$), Meier (16$), Fiala (1$), Beauvillier (1$), Getzlaf (1$)
    D: Barrie (17$), Fox (1$), Girard (1$), Trouba (2$)
    G: Markstrom (6$)

Bench: Athanasiou, Granlund, Gostisbehere, Matheson, Garland

Farm: Boldy, Gurianov, Puljujarvi, Dach, Glass, Kaprizov, Patrick, Sanheim, Tomasino, Sorokin

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: Ekblad 3YP

Ekblad's stats in his two seasons have been pretty steady. Maybe one more at this level, then he kicks it up in his 4th year. I could see high 40's, even 50 later on, but a lot will depend on who he gets paired with and how the offense is run. The guys that have the best offensive results are often paired with a defensive stopper - they can join the rush while the stopper hangs back. If Campbell is gone, who complements Ekblad the best? Matheson is another offensive d-man; I've seen him play, and he looks like an extra forward out there. Maybe McCoshen when he turns pro in another year or two? Petrovic? Kulikov? Talent to be sure, but a lot of uncertainty in his situation.

20-team NHL cap keeper; auction salaries w/contracts; 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 3B, 18 farm
    H2H Cat Wins: G, A, Pts, 2G+A, DPts, PIM, SOG, Hits, Blks, FO%, STG, GWG, G Wins, GAA, Save %, ShO
    C: Stamkos, Toews, DRyan, Compher, Fisher, Haula
    LW: Lucic, Tkachuk, Eriksson Ek, Connor
    RW: Radulov, Tarasenko, JWilliams, Point, Callahan
    D: Braun, Del Zotto, McNabb, CMiller, Petry, Subban, Butcher
    G: Andersen, Rinne
    Farm: Anderson-Dolan, Beaudin, O?Regan, Suzuki, Kayumov, Bastian, Pu, Meloche, Pionk, Poolman, Montembault, Hill

Dobber Sports Guru

I'm most worried he becomes the steady guy and they pair him with the puck mover that rakes in the points.
    I own him and love it, but think there's a chance he becomes the Pietrangelo to somebody else's Shattenkirk.
    Not that Pietrangelo doesn't have value....
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by STONE. View Post
    I'm most worried he becomes the steady guy and they pair him with the puck mover that rakes in the points.
    I own him and love it, but think there's a chance he becomes the Pietrangelo to somebody else's Shattenkirk.
    Not that Pietrangelo doesn't have value....
    I could definitely see a Pietrangelo type outlook for him a few years down the line.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Administrator

Even Shea Weber had inconsistencies on offense early in his career as he tried to figure out his role. Ekblad has high potential but also a wide margin of realistic projections. He could fall anywhere from 30 to 50.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Expert

Ekblad is 20 years old and already producing close to the 40 point mark when most defensemen are 3-4 years away from being relevant NHLers. I non-points only leagues I think he'll be absolute stud defenceman. Pointswise, I would peg him as a 50-55 point player with upside to potentially reach 65.

Administrator

I have some concerns in multi-cat as well.

GP: 159
    PIM: 73
    HIT: 196
    BLK: 139

Not exactly eye-popping. Of course this could change as he evolves but there is reason for concern.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post

Not exactly eye-popping. Of course this could change as he evolves but there is reason for concern.
    I've had the same concerns. No doubt that in the NHL, he's a top tier talent (or at least has the potential to be). But I find that he's pretty overrated in multi-cat.

Dobber Sports Expert

I agree, not eye-popping but I think you have to take into account the age here as well and he is far from developed. Not to directly compare the 3 but because they have been mentioned:
    Pietrangelo
    (first 4 seasons starting at age 19, but only played 17 in his first two combined)
    GP: 177
    PIM: 63
    HIT: 154 (90 in one season looks to be an outlier)
    BLK: 263

Weber
    (First 3 seasons, started playing at age 20, partly due to lockout)
    GP: 161
    PIM: 151
    HIT: 115* Don't have hit data for his first two seasons...would estimate the total to be ~300
    BLK: 44* Don't have block data for first two season...would estimate the total to be ~128

Now that being said Weber is a much more physical defenseman than Ekblad (true back to junior) and Pietrangelo. The three look quite equivalent from a points perspective (so my 65 upside is a bit ambitious) but Ekblad doesn't have the Hit/Pim pedigree of Weber or the BLK pedigree of Pietrangelo but I would say he's going to supply the multicats pretty well. Year 3 is always a big telling point so it will be interesting to see how his stats improve (or hopefully not, regress) over the course of next season.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I was looking at buying him.this offseason and making him my 3rd defenceman. But I'm not sure what it will cost. But yeah I was a suprised I thought his multi cat numbers would be better
    12 team with 15 keepers weekly H2H categories (G,A,P.P.P,S.O.G,F.W,Hits,Blks,Pims, G.A.A,SV%,Wins and S.O)
    C/W Schenn Lindholm Keller Namestnikov PLD schmaltz
    C Giroux Stamkos Schiefele Kadri Brassard
    W Gaudreau Okposo Mantha Gallagher Rantanen beauviller
    D Byfuglien Josi Keith Jones Gudas Ellis
    G Schnieder ​Hellebuyck
    I.R Shaw
    Prospects (25 games or less)
    Gilles