Thread: Starting a sports website - how concerned should I be about copyright?

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Starting a sports website - how concerned should I be about copyright?

If I'm going to throw together a sports site and use some pictures that are probably copyrighted, how concerned should I be? Is it a bad idea? What if I'm trying to make a profit from the site (thereby hurting any claim of fair dealing)? If anyone from DobberHockey or any people on here who know what to do, I'd really appreciate help. And if you can recommend a cheap way to get licenses to use pictures, that would be helpful as well. Thanks to all.

Also if anyone has incorporated their website businesses, that would also be something I think I should know something about (is it worthwhile to do immediately or once the site gets going).

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Legend

Default Re: Starting a sports website - how concerned should I be about copyright?

pmorrow...

I strongly suggest using http://www.gettyimages.com/resources/embed

This way you can search there for any athlete and embed the photo into your site, protecting you by crediting Getty and the photographer.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

The Great One

Default Re: Starting a sports website - how concerned should I be about copyright?

And familiarize yourself with the DMCA, plus similar provisions that would apply in other countries
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    pmorrow...

I strongly suggest using http://www.gettyimages.com/resources/embed

This way you can search there for any athlete and embed the photo into your site, protecting you by crediting Getty and the photographer.
    I just noticed they say you cannot use the images if you have a website that is trying to make money. So I don't think that's gonna work. There's gotta be a cheap images package out there somewhere.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow View Post
    If I'm going to throw together a sports site and use some pictures that are probably copyrighted, how concerned should I be? Is it a bad idea? What if I'm trying to make a profit from the site (thereby hurting any claim of fair dealing)? If anyone from DobberHockey or any people on here who know what to do, I'd really appreciate help. And if you can recommend a cheap way to get licenses to use pictures, that would be helpful as well. Thanks to all.

Also if anyone has incorporated their website businesses, that would also be something I think I should know something about (is it worthwhile to do immediately or once the site gets going).
    Incorporate once you make more than $50,000 per year. Not before.
    Nothing to worry about in terms of copyrighting, until you become big. Which is easier said than done. For now, use any picture on the 'net and source the site you got it from
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Genius

On google images, if you go under advanced search, there should be a section that says usage rights. If you filter the searches for free to use, share or modify, even commercially, you can use those for your site.