Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dvorak for Laine

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Dvorak for Laine

Points in 2nd sig.

Love what I see in both, but Dvorak is older (closer to top 6 positioning) with positive FOW, better discipline than Marner, sturdier than most. Thinking he will pick up the fringe cap points too.

Laine is without doubt going to be a meat and potatoes franchise player somewhere.

How much more than Dvorak would be needed to make this a good trade.
    TEAM 1
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H, G, A, PPP, SOG, FOW, HITS, BLKS, PIM, GWG, ShG, W, SHO, GA, SV, ShL, OL
    3-6C, 3-6W, 6D, 8B, 2G, 20 farm, 3IR

C - Crosby-McDavid-Giroux-Kadri
    W - Ovechkin-Marchand-Lehkonen-Wheeler-E.Kane-Landeskog
    D - Jones-Schenn-Stone-Lindholm-Moser-Whitecloud
    G - Hellebuyck-Lindgren-Martin-Stalock

Full Keeper

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Re: Dvorak for Laine

Quote Originally Posted by northernnuck View Post
    Points in 2nd sig.

Love what I see in both, but Dvorak is older (closer to top 6 positioning) with positive FOW, better discipline than Marner, sturdier than most. Thinking he will pick up the fringe cap points too.

Laine is without doubt going to be a meat and potatoes franchise player somewhere.

How much more than Dvorak would be needed to make this a good trade.
    about 4 or 5 more Dvoraks

Administrator

Yeah this isn't even close. Regardless of format.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Stud

the details don't matter. when u can get a guy like laine, u take him no matter what.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    about 4 or 5 more Dvoraks
    Well said!
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Deity

I think a lot of people are underselling the value of Dvorak here. I get it, everyones excited about Laine and it's that time of year when we love the current kids getting drafted; it happens every year around these parts. That being said, when it's all said and done, I don't think Dvorak is nearly as far behind Laine as many seem to think.

I think you will have to add a significant piece to acquire Laine but that's based more on the hype than actual value.

It's just the wrong time to be trying to buy Laine. I think in a couple years, you will probably end up losing this trade no matter who you have to add to get Laine. I'd stand pat unless the price to add is reasonable.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Master

I see Dvorak being a solid NHLer someday, and scoring at most 55 points. Laine's ceiling is higher and is a more natural goal scorer. Probably around 75-80 points: 35-40 goals. You'd need to add a similar piece to Dvorak with Dvorak to get Laine. Basic math: Dvorak + Dvorak = Laine

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

There's a lot of hype around Laine right now, meaning that his market value is high, and probably higher than his actual value will be. You're buying near the peak. So if he's worth Dvorak + Dvorak, you're going to overpay with another Dvorak. For example, in my sig league, I'm thinking of offering Kopitar+Landeskog+Ghost, all 1-year players, plus my 1st round prospect pick (ultimately 5 years) for Laine & Marner, a full 5 years each. I have no doubt I will be turned down. His owner is so hopped up on his hype right now that I'm not sure anything would make him move.

20-team NHL cap keeper; auction salaries w/contracts; 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 3B, 18 farm
    H2H Cat Wins: G, A, Pts, 2G+A, DPts, PIM, SOG, Hits, Blks, FO%, STG, GWG, G Wins, GAA, Save %, ShO
    C: Stamkos, Toews, DRyan, Compher, Fisher, Haula
    LW: Lucic, Tkachuk, Eriksson Ek, Connor
    RW: Radulov, Tarasenko, JWilliams, Point, Callahan
    D: Braun, Del Zotto, McNabb, CMiller, Petry, Subban, Butcher
    G: Andersen, Rinne
    Farm: Anderson-Dolan, Beaudin, O?Regan, Suzuki, Kayumov, Bastian, Pu, Meloche, Pionk, Poolman, Montembault, Hill

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by The Bottlenecker View Post
    I see Dvorak being a solid NHLer someday, and scoring at most 55 points. Laine's ceiling is higher and is a more natural goal scorer. Probably around 75-80 points: 35-40 goals. You'd need to add a similar piece to Dvorak with Dvorak to get Laine. Basic math: Dvorak + Dvorak = Laine
    How do you know Dvorak will be a 55 pt guy? How do you know Laine will be a 75-80 pt guy?

The simply answer is, you don't. None of us do. Anytime we give advice on anyone who has yet to step on the ice in the NHL it's an assumption.

To be able to say that the 121 points that Dvorak just put up in 59 CHL games equates to a "solid NHLer and scoring at most 55 points" vs Laine who just put up 33 points in 46 SHL games makes Laine worth two Dvoraks is something of an assumption.

Prospects are sold on hype and assumed value. Right now, the hype and assumed value on Laine is ridiculous and this happens every summer just before the draft. The same thing will happen next year at this same time. Who ever is ranked in the top three will more than likely be assumed to be more valuable than someone we were just hyping for the past year.

I am not picking on you in particular Bottlenecker, it's just something I see every year. We hype the new kids and forget all about the ones who were hyped previously. Dvorak used to have excellent value too. Search the forums for his name, you will see it. For all we know, your assumptions could end up being true. I just hate seeing this same thing happen every year where we focus on the latest and greatest and quickly forget the others we had previously hyped and held in high regard.

/endrant

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    How do you know Dvorak will be a 55 pt guy? How do you know Laine will be a 75-80 pt guy?

The simply answer is, you don't. None of us do. Anytime we give advice on anyone who has yet to step on the ice in the NHL it's an assumption.

To be able to say that the 121 points that Dvorak just put up in 59 CHL games equates to a "solid NHLer and scoring at most 55 points" vs Laine who just put up 33 points in 46 SHL games makes Laine worth two Dvoraks is something of an assumption.

Prospects are sold on hype and assumed value. Right now, the hype and assumed value on Laine is ridiculous and this happens every summer just before the draft. The same thing will happen next year at this same time. Who ever is ranked in the top three will more than likely be assumed to be more valuable than someone we were just hyping for the past year.

I am not picking on you in particular Bottlenecker, it's just something I see every year. We hype the new kids and forget all about the ones who were hyped previously. Dvorak used to have excellent value too. Search the forums for his name, you will see it. For all we know, your assumptions could end up being true. I just hate seeing this same thing happen every year where we focus on the latest and greatest and quickly forget the others we had previously hyped and held in high regard.

/endrant
    Let's just keep quiet on Dvorak, he is my sneaky end of the draft pick in a league with no farm.

The Great One

I don't think there's was ever really any hype on Dvorak.. I don't recall anyways.

I'd actually be curious and appreciative if anyone dug up some previous Dvorak hype threads.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    I don't think there's was ever really any hype on Dvorak.. I don't recall anyways.

I'd actually be curious and appreciative if anyone dug up some previous Dvorak hype threads.
    That's all you took from my rant? I'll have to see if I cant find you a few thread then.

Dobber Sports Deity

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Excellent responses! Dvorak played solid as opposed to calculated in the round robin games of Mem Cup. Intimidated at face-off, like a center should. Appreciate your classy responses Ax.
    TEAM 1
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H, G, A, PPP, SOG, FOW, HITS, BLKS, PIM, GWG, ShG, W, SHO, GA, SV, ShL, OL
    3-6C, 3-6W, 6D, 8B, 2G, 20 farm, 3IR

C - Crosby-McDavid-Giroux-Kadri
    W - Ovechkin-Marchand-Lehkonen-Wheeler-E.Kane-Landeskog
    D - Jones-Schenn-Stone-Lindholm-Moser-Whitecloud
    G - Hellebuyck-Lindgren-Martin-Stalock

Full Keeper

Administrator

Laine and Dvorak are not the same situation at all.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust