Thread: A catcherless team

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default A catcherless team

My single-season team has been mired in last place (10-team league) for the past week and a half. A few days ago on a Monday where not all teams play, I decided to go without a catcher, which has so far paid dividends. I am currently winning my head-to-head matchup this week in spite of a few day-to-day injuries to key players (Yelich, Carpenter).

Below is a screenshot of my team as it is currently constructed. Thoughts on the catcherless strategy going forward? I'm thinking of eventually picking up a catcher at some point, but there seem to be very few, if any, catchers who are decent, never mind elite, fantasy options.

Attached Images Attached Images

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Re: A catcherless team

Funny.....I was just thinking about this today.....it's true that the position is pretty bad overall. It's almost like if there was a FB position in fantasy football....and only 1 great FB.

To be honest it would depend what you pick up. I made the point a while back that I couldn't believe so many guys took whoever I posted about over Molina becuase he's just so damn consistent. In a 10-12team league if you need a catcher....I would look to him for sure. If not then ya is your extra pitcher every 5-6 days going to help you vs whatever stats a catcher would gain?

Im in a league with K and E as stats so that's why I was thinking about it

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Funny.....I was just thinking about this today.....it's true that the position is pretty bad overall. It's almost like if there was a FB position in fantasy football....and only 1 great FB.

To be honest it would depend what you pick up. I made the point a while back that I couldn't believe so many guys took whoever I posted about over Molina becuase he's just so damn consistent. In a 10-12team league if you need a catcher....I would look to him for sure. If not then ya is your extra pitcher every 5-6 days going to help you vs whatever stats a catcher would gain?

Im in a league with K and E as stats so that's why I was thinking about it
    Some of the available catchers in this league include the following:
    Cervelli, Castillo (both of whom I have owned at some point this season), Ramos, Hermann, Realmuto, Salty, d'Arnaud, Castro.

On Yahoo the highest ranked catcher is currently Sal Perez, who is ranked around 300! Posey has been okay but not great this season (around 500). Seeing these low rankings got me thinking about keeping the C slot empty, at least for the time being.
    Follow me on Twitter @Ian_Gooding

Dobber Sports Immortal

Id pick up Realmuto. He doesn't play every day (which is a good thing for your situation), but he provides some pop, some speed, and is in a good lineup. He was even leading off for a bit there.

Dobber Sports Titan

It's actually a strategy I'm seeing being employed more and more. I have never personally been able to stomach it, as I just don't like seeing the empty slot, and thinking about what a little bump in production from there may do. I like hockeyrobot's suggestion of Realmunto, and I would keep an eye on d'Arnaud for when he is finally healthy.
    With such a solid team, I'm surprised you are so far down in the standings, and I think it will turn around, catcher or not.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Titan

1 league I have Realmuto and that’s only because he’s hitting pretty well for average. Does nothing else. Another league I added Gattis before he gets his Catcher availability, and I’m doing well without a catcher right now. I may drop Realmuto for Wacha once he clears waivers actually.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Padawan

Thanks everyone. I will keep Realmuto in mind, although I'm not ready to pick up a catcher yet. My hitting is fine this week, but I need to concentrate on pitching after crummy starts from Hamels and Urias tonight.
    Follow me on Twitter @Ian_Gooding