Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: OH MY! Look who's cracked Dobber's Top 3 Goalies for May!?

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: OH MY! Look who's cracked Dobber's Top 3 Goalies for May!?

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    His playoffs this yr aren’t even amazing stats. 919S%, 2.12GAA, 55.6% Quality Starts. I personally think he’s just a good goalie on a better team. I rather Crawford, Bishop (TBL Bishop), Schneider, Quick, and I’d still honestly take Lundqvist over him depending on the stats/league set up.

Matt Murray, who would be hampered by Fleury, has in my eyes a better playoffs:
    924S%, 2.30GAA, 64.3% Quality Starts.
    I'd keep in mind here who has played (much) more games this season.

I'm not defending the #3 ranking because along with everyone else I think it's cray cray. But given the choice between Jones and Murray I'd have to take Jones just based on the significantly larger body of work.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Instant Karma View Post
    I'd keep in mind here who has played (much) more games this season.

I'm not defending the #3 ranking because along with everyone else I think it's cray cray. But given the choice between Jones and Murray I'd have to take Jones just based on the significantly larger body of work.
    Oh yes, I’m not saying Murray should be ahead of Jones at all. I’m just saying it’s not like Jones had a 940S% and a 1.90GAA this season. That’s way to high of a jump for Jones.

Murray should 100% be behind Jones, especially because he’s not the No1 Starter, but damn, Jones at 3 is high.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Icon

The biggest thing for Jones is that he started a lot of games last season. He was an average starting goalie for a very good hockey team. Prior to the Sharks acquiring James Reimer, Jones started 75% of the Sharks games. After the Sharks made their trade with Toronto, Jones started only 64% of their games. This was the last 6 weeks of the season when the Sharks were fighting for their playoff position. Jones did not do anything impressive with his individual numbers last season. He had a lot of wins (3rd in the NHL), shutouts (2nd) and a good GAA (7th) but those are just as much team stats as individual stats. His save percentage was 22nd of the 41 goalies who played 30 or more games last season.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Remember when Reimer was acquired and some were worried he'd steal the job? Jones kicked that door shut.
    The real fun part will be when Reimer signs with the Flames and produces similar stats to that of this "3rd ranked" goalie...
    16 Team Dynasty Weekly H2H Fantrax (starters in bold)

G A P +/- PIM SOG PPP H+B FOW --- W SV SV% GAA SO

(C) Krejci, Spezza, Koivo, Statsny Faksa
    (LW) Zetterberg, Duclair, Ehlers, M Domi Belesky, M Martin
    (RW) Pastrnak, Oshie, Larkin, Toffoli S Reinhart, Brouwer
    (D) J Honka, Seabrook, Goligoski, D DeKeyser, Vatanen, Parayko L Schenn, S Johns
    (G) Ward, Lack

Prospects- W Nylander, C Dvorak, I Barbashev, C White, T Rattie, M Dal Colle, A Mantha, R Barber, L Crouse, M Barzal, C Keller, L Brown, C Fischer, B Point, J Forsbacka-Karlsson

Dobber Sports Deity

I think Jones had a good year this past year, but someone's drinking too much playoff kool-aid to have Jones at #3 on the list.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Dikoi View Post
    For me, Holtby and Price are now in a class of their own, Jones is at least a tier below them in my opinion.
    I agree

Jones is very high because the Sharks will play him 70 games next year if he stays healthy. Only about four or five goalies can say that

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I think Jones had a good year this past year, but someone's drinking too much playoff kool-aid to have Jones at #3 on the list.
    Different leagues have different rules, but my points-only league would value him around there now.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    Jones is very high because the Sharks will play him 70 games next year if he stays healthy. Only about four or five goalies can say that
    I hope you're right, but what if they sign a solid backup? Not knowing whos #2 worries me.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Icon

I agree

Considering Martin Jones has never played more than 56 games in a season at any level prior to this season and Jones is likely to play 88 or so games this season, I highly doubt San Jose is going to plan to play him for 70 games next year. San Jose is likely going to try to sign a solid back up and a solid back up is going to want to sign in San Jose. I will predict that Jones gets less stats next year than he did this season.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Any chance San Jose re-signs Reimer?

Does that change if the Sharks fall short of or win the cup?

Blows my mind to think that 3 former Leafs (From this year) have a shot at winning the cup this year. And failing that... Kessel does.

What a fortunate turn of events for these guys who, perhaps at one point, felt like cast a ways.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

FWIW, I'd easily trade either of Quick or Luongo for Jones.

I'd easily take Schneider over Jones, and would draft both Crawford and Bishop over Jones.

I'd take Rask over Jones as well, but wouldn't be terribly happy with either one as my #1.
    Yahoo 12 team H2H Keeper (Keep 7 vets; 3 prospects (Skater < 201 GP; Goalie < 101GP)

Categories: G, A, P, PIM, +/-, PPP, SOG, FW, Hits, Blocks, W, GAA, Sv% Saves

Start 3LW, 3C, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 8Bn

C: Crosby, RNH, Stepan, Faksa
    LW: Ovechkin, Benn, Jenner (c), Komarov (c, rw), Dano
    RW: Voracek (lw), Neal, Hornqvist, Silfverberg, Buchnevich (lw), Boeser
    D: Karlsson, Letang, Ellis, Muzzin, Slavin, Boychuk
    G: Price, Bernier, Grubauer, Pickard

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    the only flaw with the list is that it doesn't include tiers. now that would make the list much more effective. i'd love to see a column added indicating which tier the goalie falls in, although that would obviously add yet another aspect of the list people will complain about.
    thanks for listening

Dobber Sports Superstar

Different leagues have different rules, but my points-only league would value him around there now.
    Well, since you mention that:

Aren't those leagues sort of in the minority, though? Wouldn't the majority of leagues do GAA and SV%?

I would think this site does enough traffic by now that you could do rankings that aren't just based on your own league rules.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Aren't those leagues sort of in the minority, though? Wouldn't the majority of leagues do GAA and SV%?

I would think this site does enough traffic by now that you could do rankings that aren't just based on your own league rules.
    it's called frozen pool. enter your league settings and you can find the rankings.

you can't expect dobber to do rankings for every type of league out there...the goalie rankings are fine, and even better now with the tier system.

I...am your father.

Majority of leagues, by a wide margin, are points only leagues. Still a good 80% of them or more. Ask your uncle. Or your neighbor. Are they in a hockey pool?

Here is why you think roto is king. It's because roto and H2H require either daily lineup changes or weekly lineup changes. Points-only leagues mostly do not (I'm in one that has weekly changes) and instead just rely on trade banter for activity. So what does this mean? Well, it means that roto and H2H players are online researching fantasy hockey and adjusting lineups a lot. A lot. So you see them around all the time. Points-only - half of those players jump on every two months and do their research.

Hope that helps to clarify.

Praba is right - Frozen Pool has reports that quickly rank roto league players. Same with Fantasy Hockey Geek
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Superstar

Majority of leagues, by a wide margin, are points only leagues. Still a good 80% of them or more. Ask your uncle. Or your neighbor. Are they in a hockey pool?

Here is why you think roto is king. It's because roto and H2H require either daily lineup changes or weekly lineup changes. Points-only leagues mostly do not (I'm in one that has weekly changes) and instead just rely on trade banter for activity. So what does this mean? Well, it means that roto and H2H players are online researching fantasy hockey and adjusting lineups a lot. A lot. So you see them around all the time. Points-only - half of those players jump on every two months and do their research.

Hope that helps to clarify.

Praba is right - Frozen Pool has reports that quickly rank roto league players. Same with Fantasy Hockey Geek
    lol. Hell, no. I live in Texas, remember? You can't find a fantasy hockey league here on every street corner like you can in Canada. Now, football? That's another thing entirely.

And when did I ever say I was after roto league rankings? Check my signature, it's basically the default Yahoo stats minus PIMs. That's not my understanding of the definition a roto league.

I didn't think this was a binary choice.

I think we're talking past each other because our definitions don't agree.

RETIRED