Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Gord Downie diagnosed with terminal brain cancer

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: Gord Downie diagnosed with terminal brain cancer

Terrible news. Every time I see something like this, my decision to prioritize life (and not work) is reinforced.

It's so sad to see people (not referring to Gord, here) work their whole life for this magical "retirement" –*as if "life" doesn't begin until you retire. Through my social networks I have known far too many people whose parents or relatives did nothing but save money so they can travel when they retire –*only to pass away prior to retirement.

Live life, people. And enjoy it. Life is now – each minute of every day. It's not something that begins when you are old and retire!

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Press conference is on right now -Gord Downie's brain tumour is very aggressive: Surgeons say part removed by surgery, remainder shrunk by radiation, but diagnosis is 'incurable.' Asked about a "miracle cure," Dr. Perry says about the tumour: "Unfortunately it will come back. Details of Tragically Hip summer tour to be announced tomorrow morning. No international dates, just select Canadian markets.
    Link?

This is...just so hard to digest and I'm only a fan. I can't imagine what he's going through. Or his wife and kids

I'll say this much. When I had my little scare (since called a misdiagnosis, in case you didn't see my post on it a few weeks ago) 18 months ago, I was told it was treatable and was moving very, very slowly. And that still had me pretty upset and rattled. To be given news like this - with almost an end date and such a certainty - I wouldn't be able to think clearly. And I certainly wouldn't leave my wife and kids for a single second. For him to want to do one more concert is an incredible gift to his fans. Incredible. And we should cherish it. I had decided long ago that my concert-going days were over. But this is an obvious exception.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    Link?

This is...just so hard to digest and I'm only a fan. I can't imagine what he's going through. Or his wife and kids

I'll say this much. When I had my little scare (since called a misdiagnosis, in case you didn't see my post on it a few weeks ago) 18 months ago, I was told it was treatable and was moving very, very slowly. And that still had me pretty upset and rattled. To be given news like this - with almost an end date and such a certainty - I wouldn't be able to think clearly. And I certainly wouldn't leave my wife and kids for a single second. For him to want to do one more concert is an incredible gift to his fans. Incredible. And we should cherish it. I had decided long ago that my concert-going days were over. But this is an obvious exception.

I watched the 30 minute press conference on Facebook via CBCs facebook link so I don't think I can link it here.

I did find this link on the CBC website that echoes most of what I typed out though.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...ctor-1.3597361
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by jcairns View Post
    Terrible news. Every time I see something like this, my decision to prioritize life (and not work) is reinforced.

It's so sad to see people (not referring to Gord, here) work their whole life for this magical "retirement" –*as if "life" doesn't begin until you retire. Through my social networks I have known far too many people whose parents or relatives did nothing but save money so they can travel when they retire –*only to pass away prior to retirement.

Live life, people. And enjoy it. Life is now – each minute of every day. It's not something that begins when you are old and retire!
    Well said and true. Too many people pass away too early. Some got the most out of their time while others waited too long to enjoy it.

Dobber Sports Ace

Such a great group. My Hip heyday was Up to Here, Fully Completely, Day for Night...then slowed down a bit.

I'll simply say that their live album "Live Between Us" was absolutely spectacular and is a must-listen...really summarized everything I love(d) about the group. Remember running to the local store while working in Northern BC to get it - unbelievable.

Here's my contribution. Watched this in full about 3,4 months ago

Dobber Sports Padawan

I'm totally bummed about this one... as a guy who generally likes metal, The Hip were always a bit of a weird one for me but I love their records all the way up to In Between Evolution. I saw them live four times and every time was awesome and unique. So many good songs to choose from, but my favourite is probably "An Inch An Hour" off of their masterful Day For Night album. I'll leave you with this live clip, one of my favourites by anyone, ever:

10th year Keeper League, Fantrax

14 teams, H2H, keep 10, daily starts
    G (3), A (2), +/- (1), PIM (0.1), PPP (1), FOW (0.1), FOL (-0.1), BLK (0.5), HAT (3), W (5), SO (3), SV (0.1), GA (-0.5)

C (3) - Schmaltz (LW, RW), Mercer (RW), Norris (IR), Domi (LW), T. Johnson (RW), Nosek (LW)
    LW (3) - Keller (RW), Hagel, McCann (C), Zacha (LW), Kubalik (RW), N. Foligno (IR)
    RW (3) - Fiala (LW), Vilardi (C), Ehlers (LW), Kakko
    D (4) - Theodore, Orlov, Grzelcyk, T. van Riemsdyk, Clifton, Skjei, Weegar
    Util (1)
    G (1) - Montembault, Allen, Halak

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    Really sad to hear this - have been a fan of theirs for a long time. Like Dobber I kind of lost interest in their new stuff about 10-12 years ago, but the older stuff still gets me.

Favourite (probably tied with Fifty-Mission Cap):

Sad news indeed. I'm a fan too, and love a number of their tunes. "Nautical Disaster" is my favorite too, Prairie Dog.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Monster

Will always have the special bond of living in the same residence in my first year as The Hip when they formed at Queens University. This comes as a huge shock...not sure what to say. Very sad. Woke up today and I think I felt all of Canada sulk collectively.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Prodigy

How could I forget this one today? What a beauty!!

https://youtu.be/AJZhc3HAwpc

Dobber Sports Deity

FYI, they have released their summer tour dates. Nothing out on the East Coast.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/05..._10127072.html

The Tragically Hip released dates for their 2016 summer tour Tuesday.

The exclusively Canadian tour will start in Victoria July 22 and end Aug. 20 in their hometown of Kingston, Ont.

The band announced the shows Monday after announcing frontman Gord Downie was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer. The tour is also in support of their latest album, "Man Machine Poem."

The dates are:

July 22 – Victoria, B.C.
    July 24 – Vancouver, B.C.
    July 28 – Edmonton, Alta.
    August 1 – Calgary, Alta.
    August 5 – Winnipeg, Mba.
    August 8 – London, Ont.
    August 10 – Toronto, Ont.
    August 12 – Toronto, Ont.
    August 16 – Hamilton, Ont.
    August 18 – Ottawa, Ont.
    August 20 – Kingston, Ont.

The band said Monday they were going to try to make this "their best tour yet."

"This feels like the right thing to do now, for Gord, and for all of us," they said.

Downie's doctor said the singer was diagnosed after a seizure in December and has been receptive to treatment, suggesting he has a higher chance of longer-term survival.

The 52-year-old has been cleared for the tour.

Tickets will go on sale June 3 at 10 a.m. local time.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Have seen them three times. Guess it's time to try and get one last set of tickets.

Dobber Sports Star

It's a sad day for Canada. I count myself lucky to have seen them live several times, and since I live in Edmonton, I hope I get the chance to see them once more. I also haven't paid a ton of attention to them in the last few years because of the changes in their musical style; I think Day for Night was their last truly brilliant album. Up to Here, Road Apples, Fully Completely and Day for Night were all amazing cover to cover.

A good friend of mine's favourite band of all time is the Hip, and he is crushed by this news. His 12 year old cat is named Downie.

My personal favourite song from the Hip is also from my favourite Hip album, and it is Long Time Running from Road Apples. Other Hip Favourites are Blow at High Dough, 38 Years Old, Trickle Down, Little Bones, Cordelia (Another personal favourite), The Luxury, Three Pistols, The Last of the Unplucked Gems, Looking for a Place to Happen, Locked in the Trunk of a Car (another personal favourite), Wheat Kings, Grace Too, So Hard Done By, Nautical Disaster, Thugs, Scared, Gift Shop, Ahead by a Century. You get the point...

I also never really understood why they never became HUGE in the States. Stay strong, GD, you have a nation behind you.

Rylant