Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "Dynasty" Definition

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default "Dynasty" Definition

At the risk of sounding stupid, I want to ask: what’s the definition of a “dynasty” league?

I’ve been playing for a long time, but only in the last few years have I branched out into leagues that I found here in the Forum. I’ve tried different types but the term “dynasty” seems to be used pretty loosely and I’d wager the definition is somewhat variable.

I’ve had it described as “keep forever,” which I have to admit is a turn-off for me. The reason is that, like any league, there are a few owners who are less skilled or less participative, and other owners will take advantage of them. This results in a few stacked teams that win every year, and since it’s perpetual keeper, there’s little chance of the lower teams developing any way except the draft. They are stuck at the bottom, the owners get frustrated and quit, and the leagues wind up here in the classifieds, looking for owners to take up the challenge of building a championship team in a minimum of 4-5 years. Especially heinous if it’s a money league. I look for leagues where there are mechanisms in place for player turnover, and everyone has a shot every year.

Thoughts, anyone?

20-team NHL cap keeper; auction salaries w/contracts; 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 3B, 18 farm
    H2H Cat Wins: G, A, Pts, 2G+A, DPts, PIM, SOG, Hits, Blks, FO%, STG, GWG, G Wins, GAA, Save %, ShO
    C: Stamkos, Toews, DRyan, Compher, Fisher, Haula
    LW: Lucic, Tkachuk, Eriksson Ek, Connor
    RW: Radulov, Tarasenko, JWilliams, Point, Callahan
    D: Braun, Del Zotto, McNabb, CMiller, Petry, Subban, Butcher
    G: Andersen, Rinne
    Farm: Anderson-Dolan, Beaudin, O?Regan, Suzuki, Kayumov, Bastian, Pu, Meloche, Pionk, Poolman, Montembault, Hill

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: "Dynasty" Definition

Great question! I look forward to reading this thread.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Veteran

I've always looked at it this way

One year
    Keeper (only keep a limited amount of keepers each year)
    Dynasty (keep all year to year)

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by plug View Post

One year
    Yup, that's it for my opinion.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by plug View Post

One year
    I think this will be the benchmark.

However, in one of my leagues (24 teams), we have to drop from 35 players max to 32 for a 3 round draft and we call it a dynasty league.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Ok, that makes sense, but what then is the difference between a "Full Keeper" (as in kevinsrangers' sig above) and a Dynasty league? Shouldn't be any, right?

What about time limits on holding players? Does "Dynasty" mean forever keeper? Is it still a Dynasty league if you can only keep them for so long?

In my main league (sig), we can keep as many as we want subject to the draft salary cap, and there is a $5 escalator for non-contract salaries. So does that mean it's a Dynasty league or a Keeper league? Full Keeper or Partial Keeper since there are no limits on how many?
    Last edited by finminer; May 21, 2016 at 2:20 PM. Reason: added info

20-team NHL cap keeper; auction salaries w/contracts; 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 3B, 18 farm
    H2H Cat Wins: G, A, Pts, 2G+A, DPts, PIM, SOG, Hits, Blks, FO%, STG, GWG, G Wins, GAA, Save %, ShO
    Farm: Anderson-Dolan, Beaudin, O?Regan, Suzuki, Kayumov, Bastian, Pu, Meloche, Pionk, Poolman, Montembault, Hill

Dobber Sports Wizard

In my mind I've always considered the terms "Dynasty" and "Full Keeper" as interchangeable. As to the first question, Plug nailed it. Think of a dynasty league as being like an NHL team from the days before free agency when you played for a team your whole career unless you were traded or released.
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    I think this will be the benchmark.

However, in one of my leagues (24 teams), we have to drop from 35 players max to 32 for a 3 round draft and we call it a dynasty league.
    There are cases where dynasty leagues expand so to give the new teams a chance , the other teams keep most of team and the new teams chose from available players. This happens mostly in leagues where all the NHL teams are represented and the NHL expands .

Quote Originally Posted by ursanator View Post
    There are cases where dynasty leagues expand so to give the new teams a chance , the other teams keep most of team and the new teams chose from available players. This happens mostly in leagues where all the NHL teams are represented and the NHL expands .
    That's an option in any league, really. The other option is just to build a team from leftovers or draft, which would not be real appealing for any incoming owner.

Any input on my time limit question? If it's not perpetual, does that relegate it to a keeper league?

What about my misgivings on dynasty leagues?

Dobber Sports Veteran

To me time limits mean not a dynasty but a keeper, but there will always be leagues that do not fall into a traditional definition.

I understand the misgivings, dynasty's should only be for fully committed long term owners. I've always wanted my keeper to be because I'd put in the nessesary work and research, most wouldn't.

Dobber Sports Deity

If I had to describe a Dynasty league, I'd say it's a league that you keep all your players until you don't want them anymore.

The league in my sig for example is what I would call a keeper league. We keep 20/25 players each year and drop five for redrafting.

In my eyes, that's the difference between a Dynasty and a keeper. Dynasty, you keep everyone. A keeper can be any format of keeper that allows you to keep whatever the league is setup for.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Administrator

I thought in a "dynasty" league you either win three straight championships or you get shot...

The previous replies covered it well. Dynasty = you keep everyone, Keeper = you don't keep everyone.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Sophomore

The definitions above are all good, but they don't fit every situation.

I run a "Dynasty" league and it is called that b/c it most closely resembles running an actual NHL franchise, but you don't keep any player "forever." If you draft a player as a rookie, you can sign him to an ELC and then an RFA and hold on to him for a quite a while, but just like in the NHL, he will hit Free Agency. Of course, like the NHL, you can re-sign him in UFA if you like.

Leagues that closely mirror the NHL can fairly be called "Dynasty" w/o keeping any players "forever."

BTW, we are recruiting for a **NEW** Dynasty league --> see post here in the Dobber Classifieds. Just 3 teams left. Will be a 20-team league.

- - - Updated - - -

PM me if interested.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by finminer View Post
    Ok, that makes sense, but what then is the difference between a "Full Keeper" (as in kevinsrangers' sig above) and a Dynasty league? Shouldn't be any, right?

What about time limits on holding players? Does "Dynasty" mean forever keeper? Is it still a Dynasty league if you can only keep them for so long?

In my main league (sig), we can keep as many as we want subject to the draft salary cap, and there is a $5 escalator for non-contract salaries. So does that mean it's a Dynasty league or a Keeper league? Full Keeper or Partial Keeper since there are no limits on how many?
    I'd still view a league with contracts as a dynasty, as you have full control over managing everything. In a "Keep 20 of 25", for example, you have to drop a set amount every year and have no control over that. In a "dynasty" with contracts, you still have the ability to manage all your contracts every season. Who you lose is a choice.

I'd also view "full keeper" as being redundant (i.e., dynasty).

Thank you all for your replies. I've posted Rep for all of you.

I think that this has made clear the traditional definition of Dynasty. There are so many different league configurations out there that you have to expect some flexibility in descriptions. The Dynasty leagues I've played in tend to have little trade activity, just tweaking the benches or prospects. I will likely stick to keepers. I do this for fun and it keeps me highly engaged in the actual season, and I get the most fun out of trading and moving pieces around to see if I can improve. I've had a lot of success doing that, so a league that doesn't have flexible player movement is not one I would get much out of.