Thread: 1910-1930 nhl,pchl,nha influential hockey folks

Dobber Sports Master

Default 1910-1930 nhl,pchl,nha influential hockey folks

I'm just about done filling up my new dynasty league and was looking for some tips on some big names who were influential in the beginning of those early days of the nhl,pchl,nha etc..

I like to name winners of various league accomplishments , division names etc.. after players,coaches or other influential people during the themed timeframe chosen of the particular dynasty league .

I know the patricks were (lester/patrick) huge , players like newsy lalonde ,cyclone taylor etc....

have any others for me ? maybe a brief explanation of said persons contribution to hockey so that I can follow up .

thanks in advance

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: 1910-1930 nhl,pchl,nha influential hockey folks

I will get you started.

Frank Calder: led revolt against NHA and Toronto Blueshirts owner/jackass Eddie Livingstone that led to the formation of the NHL. First League President.

Joe "Phantom" Malone: scored 44 goals in 20 games in the NHL's inaugural season, including five goals on Opening Night, 1917.

Conn Smythe: Bought the Blueshirts from Livingstone, renamed them Toronto Maple Leafs, built Maple Leaf Gardens, the rest is history.

Dobber Sports Expert

Howie Morenz...was perhaps the greatest player in that era. Broke his leg and died a few weeks later of a broken heart...you should name your MVP trophy after him.

Eddie Shore (though he played late 20's to late 30's) ...completely revolutionized defencemen in his era. 4 hart trophies in his career. Synonymous with the definition of Old Time Hockey. You also cannot argue with a guy who at one time, traded one of his players for another player and a hockey net...in order to make up the difference in player value. He got the net as part of the deal. That's a smooth negotiator.

Dobber Sports Padawan

How about Clint Benedict? Led the league in wins six times in a row from 1919 to 1924. Won 3 Stanley Cups between 1921 & 1926. Was the first goalie to wear face protection. Was the first goalie to leave his feet to make a save.

10th year Keeper League, Fantrax

14 teams, H2H, keep 10, daily starts
    G (3), A (2), +/- (1), PIM (0.1), PPP (1), FOW (0.1), FOL (-0.1), BLK (0.5), HAT (3), W (5), SO (3), SV (0.1), GA (-0.5)

C (3) - Schmaltz (LW, RW), Mercer (RW), Norris (IR), Domi (LW), T. Johnson (RW), Nosek (LW)
    LW (3) - Keller (RW), Hagel, McCann (C), Zacha (LW), Kubalik (RW), N. Foligno (IR)
    RW (3) - Fiala (LW), Vilardi (C), Ehlers (LW), Kakko
    D (4) - Theodore, Orlov, Grzelcyk, T. van Riemsdyk, Clifton, Skjei, Weegar
    Util (1)
    G (1) - Montembault, Allen, Halak

Dobber Sports Master

keep em coming , they are definately all being considered !

can anyone comment on the patrick brothers frank/lester and which one is a cut above the other with regards to overall contribution -would I be wrong in thinking its lester ?

could use a few more ideas in the overall contribution to the eary part of the game like patrick as well as more G/D specific players too .Benedict was a great one guvnah .

post em and I'll do some research

Dobber Sports Deity

Wasn't Bobby Hull the first player to use a curved blade on his stick?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Wasn't Bobby Hull the first player to use a curved blade on his stick?
    booo

found another good one , if not great one .
    Cy Denneny fwd

The Great One

King Clancy: https://www.hhof.com/htmlSpotlight/s...ep195802.shtml

I absolutely love his 1924-25 photo from the Champ's cigarettes collection: http://www.tradingcarddb.com/ViewCar...NO-King-Clancy

Edit: I don't see Georges Vezina listed...

The Great One

PS: looking at the 1933 OPC hockey set, and ignoring some rookie cards, some other names that stand out are: Eddie Shore, "Ace" Bailey and Nels Stewart. Maybe Joe Primeau and Georges Hainsworth as well. All in the HHOF.

Dobber Sports Master

I rolled up my sleeves and did a bit of research - I'm definately no pro on the era but you certainly brought up some names I came across today .I'm trying to mesh in some great pcha/nha players as well because those logos are also are part of the league I created .Vezina is a cool cat -played many years for the habs when they were initially in the NHA then NHL ; so I found his NHL totals a bit skewed because he was in the NHA for so long .

Clancy is a shoe in for one of leagues division names as are Vezina and Morenz .

Clint Benedict is going to get the goalie mvp award named after him (thanks guvnah),Cy Denneny mvp forward

I'm thinking playoff champ award Jack Adams / regular season champ award Lester Patrick

Stewart and Hainsworth definately on my mind for perhaps rookie awards

I came across this site which has helped me study some of the numbers from the 1910-1930 era.
    http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/seaso...rds-stats.html

Dobber Sports Master

unfinished product certainly up for debate with my fellow league mates but heres whats planned .I tried to mix it up a bit so if theres a wtf moment in your eyes just roll with it

https://sites.google.com/site/theroa...hl/trophy-rack

The Great One

If you want a classic PCHLer, look up Fred "Cyclone" Taylor (1912-1922), of the Vancouver Millionaires. Dude won 5 scoring titles...

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    If you want a classic PCHLer, look up Fred "Cyclone" Taylor (1912-1922), of the Vancouver Millionaires. Dude won 5 scoring titles...
    he was and could still be a candidate but I wanted to give the bulldogs some representation / joe malone .

pcha has adams,patrick (two main awards)repped well and hughie lehman (rookie G award)to boot .

p.s , you should have joined dave

The Great One

Your website looks great, Butch.

And I just can't get into the multiple matches thing; I've tried it before and it just didn't work for me.

Although I absolutely LOVE the theme of your league. As a part-time, on-and-off hobby, I collect cigarette-based hockey cards from that era.

Dobber Sports Master

are you still in the league that switched to the multiple matchups or did you dislike it to the point where you resigned ?

anyways , at least your in my 2 other leagues - sounds like an expensive hobby collecting cards from that era !