Thread: Cash in selling Burns?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Cash in selling Burns?

16 team league H2H cats with A, G, Pts, ±, SOG, pim, ppp, FOW, Hits+Block (1 cat). I'm the reigning champ for this year and the year before. And my team realy have wath it takes to win again next year. But i'm realy wondering wath to do with Burns. This year, he was my best player and to put it in perspective, in our setup, he was the best D, the 13th best skater and the 3rd best RW. He will surely fall next year in most cats and may loose RW eligibility. Plus, SJ core may change prety soon with Big Joe, Marleau maybe gone. Fianly, Pavelski (SJ best player) and Burns are both past their prime. With that said, even if he falls, he still remain a crazy valuable assets so i would need a realy good return.

So waths people tought cash in in a deal or enjoy the production for another couple of year.

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Re: Cash in selling Burns?

It would depend on your return. Being in contention next year, I don't see the value to moving him. His increased production was moreso related to the change in SJ's system and not a one-year anomaly. I hang onto him since I think the 'pieces' you get back will weaken your overall roster. You're likely better with Burns than without and no sense trading him until you ability to contend is out the window.

The Great One

^ Agree.

Ride him out, and win as many championships as you can. You won't always be on top!

Dobber Sports Titan

Always sell high. If someone is willing to overpay for Burns sell. But it always depends on what you get. Top point getting D that gets hits+blocks deff shoots his value up, but I would be aiming for the cream of the crop when I’m trading Burns.

Unless it’s an auto-accept trade, I wouldn’t be giving a trade involving much thought. Don’t be afraid to ask the boards, the group tends to be quick at responding.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Genius

We all spend weeks, months, years trying to get a guy like Burns. You have him and you won twice in a row. Don't muff this up by overthinking it. Just keep doing what you are doing. If you fell the NEEEEEEED(!) to trade him, or someone from your two-time championship team, then put the mouse down, go outside and have a beer and a long walk. It's May 9. It's just as close to the last winter as it is to the next summer. LOL. Don't forget, you have a team that just won twice in a row. So many things can happen between now and September.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Always sell high. If someone is willing to overpay for Burns sell. But it always depends on what you get. Top point getting D that gets hits+blocks deff shoots his value up, but I would be aiming for the cream of the crop when I’m trading Burns.

Unless it’s an auto-accept trade, I wouldn’t be giving a trade involving much thought. Don’t be afraid to ask the boards, the group tends to be quick at responding.
    Exactly wath i will be aiming for if i plan to move him. But i like Moses idea. May just take a little walk and think the greatness Burns did for me and just keep it lol.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I have Burns on my team and the fantasy production he provides at defense can not be replaced. Losing rw is a non factor.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Amuk View Post
    I have Burns on my team and the fantasy production he provides at defense can not be replaced. Losing rw is a non factor.
    To answer you, atm, the deepest part of my squad is my D. We start 6D with a 8 man bench and i own Hedman, Burns, Karlson, Carlson, Krug, Savard, Borowiecki, Niskanen, Phaneuf. Maybe i should have mentioned that in the original post, but its another reason im contemplating the idea of a trade.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

That is a nice deep group of dmen you have there. This is only my opinion but Niskanen and Phaneuf would be the one's I'd contemplate moving. I understand that offering Burns could bring the most interest but with even just a slight decline in production, you might regret moving him.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Brent Burns is not past his prime. He might be 31 years of age but we are discussing a genetic freak. He shows absolutely no sign of slowing down with age and his skating and shot are top notch. You will not make out any better at D and why fix what is not broken. You have something only 2 of your other opponents have, a defender who scores north of 60 points. You own 2 of those 4 total players the other 2 being Josi and Letang therefore I do not understand why you'd be looking to strip down a blue line juggernaut that no other opponent can come close to matching. Carlson would've been a 60 point defender this season if he was not injured too. Plain and simple story here is do not fix what is not broken and enjoy the reign.
    Girouxsalem
    (G,A,PIM,PPP,GWG,FOW,SOG,HIT, BLK)(W,SV,SO,GAA,SV%)

F:
    D:
    G:

ThePeterNorthStars
    G(4),A(2),PIM(1),PPP(2),SHP(3.5),GWG(2),SOG(.5),FOW(.25),FOL(-.25),HIT(.75),BLK(.5) W(6)L(-4)GA(-2)SV(.5)SO(4)

C: Zibanejad,
    Trocheck,Kempe
    L: Draisaitl,Forsberg
    RW:​ Tippett,Boldy,Meier,Raymond
    D: Josi,McAvoy,Carlson,Theodore,Faber,Montour,Sanderson
    G: Shesterkin,Kotchetkov

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by ddtop View Post
    To answer you, atm, the deepest part of my squad is my D. We start 6D with a 8 man bench and i own Hedman, Burns, Karlson, Carlson, Krug, Savard, Borowiecki, Niskanen, Phaneuf. Maybe i should have mentioned that in the original post, but its another reason im contemplating the idea of a trade.
    If you want to sell high on one of your defencemen, sell Hedman. His playoff play+name hype will probably net you a return more solid than his regular season fantasy outputs. (Don't get me wrong, I love Hedman, just think he's over valued in fantasy).

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

only way i'd sell him this season is if you're in a cap league. the guy is going to get 9-10M easily, even then if expensive/productive players are valuable in your league i'd keep him. but chances are you can make better use of that much cap space.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I agree with other commenters, though I also take the philosophy that every player should always be available for the right price.

I'd shop him, and see what you can get. I actually think it might be worthwhile seeing if you could flip Burns for Subban+

I think Subban and Burns are pretty much a coin flip for points. Burns gets the edge in the other categories, but with Subban's injury I think there is a deal to be made here. It all depends on what you could potentially get as the +

Worth looking into, IMO.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by jcairns View Post
    I agree with other commenters, though I also take the philosophy that every player should always be available for the right price.

I'd shop him, and see what you can get. I actually think it might be worthwhile seeing if you could flip Burns for Subban+

I think Subban and Burns are pretty much a coin flip for points. Burns gets the edge in the other categories, but with Subban's injury I think there is a deal to be made here. It all depends on what you could potentially get as the +

Worth looking into, IMO.
    I'm with you that everyone has a price. Someone like Subban and a small plus would be worth looking into.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)