Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: [RUMOR/IMAGINED] - Matthews to ARI, OEL to TOR

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: [RUMOR/IMAGINED] - Matthews to ARI, OEL to TOR

That would be a sweet trade, but I can't see the Coyotes giving up OEL + 2 picks for Matthews.

Part of me hopes Toronto doesn't trade Matthews regardless of what crazy offers they get... it's been so long since we had a legit franchise player, and I need someone worthy to replace the Kessel tag on my jersey!

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    fastest rebuild ever.
    I think it has already been going on for too long to qualify for that title
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Loch View Post
    rebuild started the moment they traded Kessel. Before that they were pretty much what Vancouver is now. Shitty team with shitty prospects, with management too stubborn to flat out rebuild because they want the extra playoff revenue. Spend a bunch of years trying to half ass it by making trades and expensive FA signings, hand out a bunch of NMC's...you get the point.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by blackaces View Post
    The Stamkos theory doesn't make sense unless you are guaranteed to get Stamkos, but how does that happen since the draft is in June and Stamkos isn't a free agent until July 1. Even if you trade for the right to negotiate with Stamkos before July 1 there is still no guarantee he would sign.
    Exactly my thoughts and smells like tampering to me if it does happen. Unless a trade for negotiating rights happens but I see that as unlikely.

On another note hasn't Coyote's ownership already stated OEL isn't moving? Also if trading OEL were to happen, might as well have Nolan Patrick's agent on speed dial since you will have a 20% chance of selecting him next year.

I see the Coyotes picking the best D man available at pick 7.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Loch View Post
    I think it just seems like a long time, kind of like the waiting room at the DMV...

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by blackaces View Post
    The Stamkos theory doesn't make sense unless you are guaranteed to get Stamkos, but how does that happen since the draft is in June and Stamkos isn't a free agent until July 1. Even if you trade for the right to negotiate with Stamkos before July 1 there is still no guarantee he would sign.
    I agree.
    In my OP... it's all speculative based on a series of dominos falling.
    (Not sure if you read the OP, or if you were just commenting on recent posts by others.)

The trade only has real potential IF Stamkos signs with TOR.
    So it's more likely a July deal.

If Stamkos doesn't sign with TOR... they'll hold Matthews.

[Other theories I'm fond of: 1) The Florida Panthers were tanking to relocate. FAIL. 2) Jon Snow and Daenerys Targaryen are fraternal twins. PENDING GRRM Staying Alive and Completing his Damn Work.]

Dobber Sports Pro

I remember some talk about if the Oilers win the lottery again could they trade the pick for OEL, the general consensus was it wasnt enough to land OEL, and I agreed with it, no draft pick is worth a young stud dman with a great contract(except McDavid).
    Now that its a Leafs pick its worth OEL, and 2 additional 1st round picks?? alright.

Im not doubting Arizona wants Matthews badly, but thats seems like a wet dream of a Leafs fan.
    Matthews for Domi and the 7th overall sounds more plausible.
    10 Team Roto Keeper League; 20 Keepers;
    Stats: G,A,Pts,ppg,ppa,pims,+/- ; W,sv%,svs
    C: Seguin, Panarin, Carter
    LW: Benn, Hall, Buchnevich, Coyle, Zucker
    RW: Kane, Simmonds, Stone, Nino, Gallagher
    D: Subban, Doughty, Byfuglien, Jones, Mcdonagh, Fowler
    G: Price, Holtby, Halak, Reimer

Dobber Sports Superstar

Frankly I can't see the 'Yotes making some big package deal to move up to the first pick.

They don't have many pieces to trade, and they've already moved Boedker. So they're going to move both OEL and Domi for Matthews just because he's from Arizona?

Plus, they're not very good now, I don't see them getting substantially better overnight, so very likely they're right back here next season.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Demi-God

ARI w/OEL sort of reminds me of ATL w/Kovalchuk.

Arizona is not a good team.
    They'll be hard-pressed to EVER be a great team with their fan base and minimal cash flow to spend.
    So... you either roll out the same ol' team out there... and miss playoffs.
    Or... you change it up... put a young sexy face out there... and miss playoffs, with hope that it could be different.
    You put the Arizona Golden-Boy on the Ice and you are at LEAST selling tickets to fans that can identify with the player.

It was that way with Atlanta.
    They had Kovalchuk... and they struggled to make the playoffs.
    Then Kovalchuk's end of contract starts nearing and they start talking about whether to keep him or trade him.
    Well... they never threatened to go far while he was there... so why keep him?
    At some point, a team has to try something different, even if it fails them completely (Detroit Pistons once traded Chauncey Billups for old-man-Iverson and it killed them... but they had to see if they could outmatch LeBron).

Same with OEL.
    Great, great, GREAT player... but are they really going to have their kids (Domi, Duclair, D.Strome) develop the whole team into a contender before OEL's contract expires in 3-years??
    OEL will be worth $10m on the open market in summer of 2019 and maybe ARI is a playoff team by then... maybe. I say no, though.

ARI just isn't going to get it done with their current cast.
    But with Matthews... you never know, he's been considered a fringe elite prospect.
    He can grow at same rate as Dylan Strome & Duclair (which they can keep, because I think OEL/Domi is close to enough... maybe they need to throw in the 2017 1st rounder...)

Again - as really, really good as OEL... what's best for the LONG-TERM Coyotes...
    a) 3 More Years of OEL (+ keeping Domi? If he's requested by TOR)
    or
    b) Auston Matthews and the Potential

And there's a new GM.
    The shake is coming. Every GM does the shake... and Tippett's staying... so other changes have to be a'comin.

Maybe... here's a funner topic.
    What do you guys consider EVEN?
    Let's collect opinions. (and this isn't even a "would this happen"... it's just a "what's even")

What's Better #1:
    a) OEL for 3-years, or
    b) Matthews (& standard rookie RFA status)

What's Better #2:
    a) OEL for 3-years, Domi (& RFA status)

What's Better #3:
    a) OEL for 3-years, Domi (& RFA status), + ARI 1st in 2017

There's always some point, where a person says... OK, even trade...
    Even if both teams wouldn't agree to it for their own reasons...
    What would you guys call "EVEN" on this one?

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    ARI w/OEL sort of reminds me of ATL w/Kovalchuk.

Arizona is not a good team.
    They'll be hard-pressed to EVER be a great team with their fan base and minimal cash flow to spend.
    So... you either roll out the same ol' team out there... and miss playoffs.
    Or... you change it up... put a young sexy face out there... and miss playoffs, with hope that it could be different.
    You put the Arizona Golden-Boy on the Ice and you are at LEAST selling tickets to fans that can identify with the player.

It was that way with Atlanta.
    They had Kovalchuk... and they struggled to make the playoffs.
    Then Kovalchuk's end of contract starts nearing and they start talking about whether to keep him or trade him.
    Well... they never threatened to go far while he was there... so why keep him?
    At some point, a team has to try something different, even if it fails them completely (Detroit Pistons once traded Chauncey Billups for old-man-Iverson and it killed them... but they had to see if they could outmatch LeBron).

Same with OEL.
    Great, great, GREAT player... but are they really going to have their kids (Domi, Duclair, D.Strome) develop the whole team into a contender before OEL's contract expires in 3-years??
    OEL will be worth $10m on the open market in summer of 2019 and maybe ARI is a playoff team by then... maybe. I say no, though.

ARI just isn't going to get it done with their current cast.
    But with Matthews... you never know, he's been considered a fringe elite prospect.
    He can grow at same rate as Dylan Strome & Duclair (which they can keep, because I think OEL/Domi is close to enough... maybe they need to throw in the 2017 1st rounder...)

Again - as really, really good as OEL... what's best for the LONG-TERM Coyotes...
    a) 3 More Years of OEL (+ keeping Domi? If he's requested by TOR)
    or
    b) Auston Matthews and the Potential

And there's a new GM.
    The shake is coming. Every GM does the shake... and Tippett's staying... so other changes have to be a'comin.

What we really need is a few "which side is more valuable" so we can determine where an equal trade lies:

What's Better #1:
    a) OEL for 3-years, or

What's Better #2:
    a) OEL for 3-years, Domi (& RFA status)

What's Better #3:
    a) OEL for 3-years, Domi (& RFA status), + ARI 1st in 2017

The real question... is...
    What's even? (for any person's eval)
    Now that I think on it, the Yotes have not a soul who can take OEL's substantial minutes. Would adding Matthews to a pretty decent group of young Fs be worth being defensively substandard for a loooooooooong time? Tough call. Financially, maybe moving OEL makes sense but from a hockey sense, this would only be a lateral move for ARI. Organizationally speaking, of course.
    14-team Keeper w/custom salary cap
    Keep btw 12-14, excl. Minors
    Skater cats (weight): G (1.75), A (1.75), +/- (0.75), Hits (0.75), BS (0.75)
    Goalie cats: W (0.25), GAA (1.00), SV% (1.00)

C : Colton Jenner Frost Novak ---Rossi Cooley MSavoie Fantilli Carlsson Yager
    LW: Caufield Fiala Hagel Nichushkin ---Musty
    RW: Tippett Necas Brink Kakko ---Yurov Lysell Stankoven ECowan Lekkerimaki
    D : Theodore Seider Chabot Gostisbehere Liljegren Carlo ---Edvinsson
    G : Montembault Hart ---Commesso Augustine
    Bench/IR: Zellweger Fehervary

2024 entry draft picks: 3 1sts
    2025: 2 1sts, 2 2nds, 1 3rd
    Fantrax IHL Champion: 2018/19, 2015/16, 2011/12

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Sherpa View Post
    Now that I think on it, the Yotes have not a soul who can take OEL's substantial minutes. Would adding Matthews to a pretty decent group of young Fs be worth being defensively substandard for a loooooooooong time? Tough call. Financially, maybe moving OEL makes sense but from a hockey sense, this would only be a lateral move for ARI. Organizationally speaking, of course.
    Yes. The Yotes are very weak on the backend. Stone, Dahlbeck and Murphy are decent depth options (well Stone is proving a little more than that). But organizationally, this is a weak point in the system along with goaltending. I think the Yotes are looking D at this draft...they've stockpiled forward recently (I know my mock has them taking Nylander but this is after more consideration than my breakfast beer consumption list making). I get the financial arguments, the desire to bring a hometown kid in and all that. But just looking at this purely from a hockey standpoint and building a winner the proper way.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

the yotes would turn into the oilers if they traded OEL. the trade wouldn't be made based on a hockey standpoint, it's all about the $$$

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    huh?
    wow, remind me to ignore all your trade offers if we ever end up in the same league.

Are you one of those guys who offers two 60 point players for one 90 point player and then says it must be a good offer cuz you're giving up 120 total points?

Also, maybe he was nuts at the time... but it was reported by multiple sources not too long ago that Snow offered his entire draft (including #4 overall) to move up 2 spots.
    And was TURNED DOWN.
    Just one example but I believe moving up 7 to 1, especially this year, would cost a fortune. Way more than just Domi, and I love Domi.
    I agree. I think OEL + Domi + the 7th is too much, but take out OEL and it doesn't get done.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Figured I'd start my very first own Imagined Rumor.
    Stir the isht up a bit! LOL.

Past Events:
    April 30th - First Domino falls... Toronto wins NHL entry draft spot #1. They signed Kadri to a nice long contract... and many speculate Stamkos is a'comin. C1 Stamkos, C2 Kadri. So what happens with the #1 pick?

Future Events:
    June 24th - Second Domino falls... "With the 1st pick in the 2016 NHL Entry Draft, the Toronto Maple Leafs select... Auston Matthews." (by the way... where do they announce Auston to be from... ZSC Lions? or USDP?)
    July 1st - Third Domino Falls.... "Bob McKenzie is reporting the Leafs will sign #91 Steven Stamkos to 7 years, $91million".
    July 2nd - Fourth Domino Falls... "The Arizona Coyotes have acquired Auston Matthews from the Toronto Maple Leafs in exchange for the Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Arizona's #7 overall pick in the 2016 entry draft and their 1st round pick in 2017."

Odds of a Matthews(TOR)/OEL(ARI) trade... ????

I'll be the odds maker...

10-1 odds: ARI/TOR trade happens (trade must incl. Matthews.)
    1-12 odds: it doesn't happen

Which side you take?
    How much you betting?

Is this before or after the Florida Panthers franchise gets moved?

Dobber Sports Superstar

I would also point out that we have no idea what's going to happen with the 'Yotes franchise in the next couple of years, so it's kinda haphazard to speculate right now whether they will be able to re-sign OEL when the time comes.

RETIRED