Thread: Ghost, Wheeler or Crawford

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Ghost, Wheeler or Crawford

Hello guys,

This is for second league in sig (Full keeper points only with 80M cap). D's goals are worth 2 points and Gs are scored 2 W + 3 SO.

I have the first overall "UFA" pick (player with >20 games played in the NHL) and notable players available are :
    1. Ghost
    2. Byfuglien
    3. Yandle
    4. Seabrook
    5. Ristolainen
    6. Rielly
    7. Krug
    8. Parayko
    9. Crawford
    10. Mrazek
    11. Wheeler
    12. Barkov
    13. Scheifele

Some considerations:
    • I own picks #1 and #10 in this "UFA" draft
    • My D is terrible
    • I currently have little cap room, so drafting a 8M guy would be hard (would need to drop Stasny probably)

Based on the above, I am leaning toward Ghost at #1 the moment. If I'm lucky enough, I'd grab Crawford at #10 (people seem way down on him in my league, but it only takes one guy to snag him before I do...). I could also grap another cheap D with #10.

Who would you guys target with those picks? Thanks!
    16 team, dynasty cap league (real salary), Points ONLY (W=2+SO=3)
    Count best 12 F, 6 D, 2 G || 19-20 Cap = 94M

F: Point, Matthews, DeBrincat, Kessel, Malkin, Meier, Gourde, Hinostroza, Toffoli, Batherson, Jankowski, Prokhorkin, Nick Ritchie, Maroon, Thompson, Kravtsov, Sikura, Lunderstrom
    D: Letang, Krug, Gostisbehere, DeAngelo, Manson, Persson, Djoos
    G: Bobrovsky, Fleury, Merzlikins, Subban, Gustavsson, Sandstrom, Gillies, Husso

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: Ghost, Wheeler or Crawford

I think I'd go with Ghost as well, given the state of your defense. But had you considered Byfuglien at all? If you're trying to win now, I think he's the better option. But I'm guessing if you have the first pick, your team might have finished last (unless you acquired it in a trade).
    Follow me on Twitter @Ian_Gooding

Dobber Sports Titan

I agree in your situation, Ghost seems to be the choice. A lot of moving pieces for this kind of draft, so I think at 10 you're just looking at BPA.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Superstar

In this scenario my suggestion is drafting best talent on the board and dealing later on to round out the squad. Although Ghost would be nice if he has a sophomore slump we might have to scrap you off pavement after you jump from the roof when you could have had Blake who I think you should select. Drafting him gives you a forward core of Wheeler/Kessel/Malkin/Hall/Eberle/Steen. For a 15 team league that is an excellent "Top 6". Drafting Wheeler would allow you to deal one of them down the line for a D man. I suggest you watch the situation in EDM and how it unfolds but you have 2 of their top 6 wings so one of them would be the one I try to deal for a D upgrade. At this point in time Hall gets you an elite D man, Eberle gets you above average. BUT if Eberle ends u8p riding shotgun full time with McJesus his value skyrockets and that is when you POUNCE LIKE A CHEETAH ON A GAZELLE.
    Girouxsalem
    (G,A,PIM,PPP,GWG,FOW,SOG,HIT, BLK)(W,SV,SO,GAA,SV%)

F:
    D:
    G:

ThePeterNorthStars
    G(4),A(2),PIM(1),PPP(2),SHP(3.5),GWG(2),SOG(.5),FOW(.25),FOL(-.25),HIT(.75),BLK(.5) W(6)L(-4)GA(-2)SV(.5)SO(4)

C: Zibanejad,
    Trocheck,Kempe
    L: Draisaitl,Forsberg
    RW:​ Tippett,Boldy,Meier,Raymond
    D: Josi,McAvoy,Carlson,Theodore,Faber,Montour,Sanderson
    G: Shesterkin,Kotchetkov

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by gooding74 View Post
    I think I'd go with Ghost as well, given the state of your defense. But had you considered Byfuglien at all? If you're trying to win now, I think he's the better option. But I'm guessing if you have the first pick, your team might have finished last (unless you acquired it in a trade).
    I did finish last but pulled off a trade last week that got me sending #10 and #11 prospect picks for Eberle, Lee and Nelson, so I took care of what I though was a lack of offensive depth. Am I in a position to win now? It’ll be hard to win, but top 5 is what I’m looking at at the moment and if I can move some other pieces to get some more “win-now” players, it might be a real possibility. People are severly overvaluing youth and that could be my chance

Quote Originally Posted by LuigiC173 View Post
    In this scenario my suggestion is drafting best talent on the board and dealing later on to round out the squad. Although Ghost would be nice if he has a sophomore slump we might have to scrap you off pavement after you jump from the roof when you could have had Blake who I think you should select. Drafting him gives you a forward core of Wheeler/Kessel/Malkin/Hall/Eberle/Steen. For a 15 team league that is an excellent "Top 6". Drafting Wheeler would allow you to deal one of them down the line for a D man. I suggest you watch the situation in EDM and how it unfolds but you have 2 of their top 6 wings so one of them would be the one I try to deal for a D upgrade. At this point in time Hall gets you an elite D man, Eberle gets you above average. BUT if Eberle ends u8p riding shotgun full time with McJesus his value skyrockets and that is when you POUNCE LIKE A CHEETAH ON A GAZELLE.
    Actually loled about that last part :P. I admit that I thought about Wheeler, but my "top 4" Defense would be so weak with Shattenkirk... and that's it! At #10 I would probably draft a 40 pts D in Parayko or maybe Krug slips, but that's about it... This league is active, so trades are possible, but top offensive defensemen at a reasonable price are rare and don't get traded that easily... Although I fear Ghost will suffer significant regression, having such an offensive guy at such a low price would be sweet...
    16 team, dynasty cap league (real salary), Points ONLY (W=2+SO=3)
    Count best 12 F, 6 D, 2 G || 19-20 Cap = 94M

F: Point, Matthews, DeBrincat, Kessel, Malkin, Meier, Gourde, Hinostroza, Toffoli, Batherson, Jankowski, Prokhorkin, Nick Ritchie, Maroon, Thompson, Kravtsov, Sikura, Lunderstrom
    D: Letang, Krug, Gostisbehere, DeAngelo, Manson, Persson, Djoos
    G: Bobrovsky, Fleury, Merzlikins, Subban, Gustavsson, Sandstrom, Gillies, Husso

Dobber Sports Icon

Ummm... I know people are high on Ghost but Byfuglien is a no-brainer here for me. I definitely find a way to make it work. Maybe trade Stasnty for whatever you can get for him. $7 mil for his production is nowhere near worth it.

Ghost had a great rookie season but there's a huge risk he hits the sophomore slump. And he will be due a big raise in 2 years, so it's not like you are locking him in long term on a great deal. I don't fault you if he is your choice, huge risk, huge reward. But personally I'm a big fan of Buff and he's going to land you lots of goals from the blue line.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Grand Master

With the salary consideration, I think Gostisbehere is easily your guy at #1.

Look at that list, and figure out what the worst case scenario for your pick at #10 is going to be, in your opinion. No matter which player it is, they will either:

1. Come with a significant price tag, due to being a proven veteran.
    2. Come with a small price tag, being a younger player.

So you get the cheap young defender you prefer, and then at #10 you either get another one to balance the risk, or you get a pricier veteran. YOu want ot go with a cheap young player at #1, since there is no guarantee there will be one left at #10.

Dobber Sports Expert

Scheifele or Barkov would be my two choices. Being as you have little cap, picking up Buff doesn't make any sense. In a points only, take the forwards who are breaking 60 points over the Dman.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I agree with Ghost in your situation. It's hard giving up on Buff there but with your salary considerations the points per dollar should be in Ghosts favor by a good margin. I would look at Scheifele or crawford at 10 if possible.

The Great One

With those options, I'd be very tempted to see if you could trade down and pick up more assets. Ghost, Morgan Rielly, Byf, Barkov, Scheifele, Crawford, etc. I think you need more help that 1 player if you were last place, and I'd want to see what you could leverage than pick into if moving down.

By the way, if this is a full-keeper, dynasty, why are all these players UFA?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Ghost could be a mistake. That's an awfully high price.

if you can lock down Barkov. You're golden. I'd even respect picking Scheifele.

With your 10th pick, Crawford is a great idea or a sneaky value play would be Parayko.

Weber, Klingberg and Faulk are some great pieces. You have problems on your LW side, I'd consider trading a prospect, maybe Nylander, for Kyle Connor.