Thread: Keeper Konundrum

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Keeper Konundrum

League in sig. I've been in contention since this league began three years ago, but have always fallen short at playoff time. I blame part of this on Evgeni Malkin and his normal late March, early April vacation. I screwed up last year, keeping Hossa and Vrbata over the likes of Hartnell, Dubinsky and others so my keepers don't look as strong to me as they used to. This is what I'm thinking as far as keepers go (fantasy points per game average in brackets):

1. Bergeron (3.89)
    2. Ovechkin (3.53)
    3. Malkin (3.13)
    4. Ma. Stone (2.63)
    5. Neal (2.69)
    6. Klingberg (2.82)
    7. Byfuglien (2.87)
    8. Marchand (3.10)
    9. Hoffman (2.33)
    10. Rinne (5.16)

Other options:
    Bjugstad (1.81)
    Hossa (2.01)
    Parayko (2.28)
    Suter (2.73)
    Plekanec (2.06)
    Backlund (2.04)
    Ekholm (2.02)
    Niskanen (2.17)

Of the other options, Parayko interests me the most but I'm not really keen on keeping more than two D, and I can't see any reason not to keep Kling and Buff. I'm thinking I should try to flip Malkin and Rinne for greater depth and an upgrade in net. What do you guys think? What do you think I could get for those two? Or should I stand pat?

10th year Keeper League, Fantrax

14 teams, H2H, keep 10, daily starts
    G (3), A (2), +/- (1), PIM (0.1), PPP (1), FOW (0.1), FOL (-0.1), BLK (0.5), HAT (3), W (5), SO (3), SV (0.1), GA (-0.5)

C (3) - Schmaltz (LW, RW), Mercer (RW), Norris (IR), Domi (LW), T. Johnson (RW), Nosek (LW)
    LW (3) - Keller (RW), Hagel, McCann (C), Zacha (LW), Kubalik (RW), N. Foligno (IR)
    RW (3) - Fiala (LW), Vilardi (C), Ehlers (LW), Kakko
    D (4) - Theodore, Orlov, Grzelcyk, T. van Riemsdyk, Clifton, Skjei, Weegar
    Util (1)
    G (1) - Montembault, Allen, Halak

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Keeper Konundrum

Rinne you would be selling low, I would wait. I agree on trying to flip Malkin. Hopefully you can get fair value there.
    I would actually be for keeping more than 2D, and Go with Parayko over Hoffman. Hoffman seems to have hit a bit of a wall after riding so high percentages. Parayko looks like a stud in the Chris Pronger mould, and will only improve production as he gets more & more quality ice time.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Padawan

Agree with Eskimo Brother. Given the high percentages, I might try to sell high on Hoffman just to see what you can get in return. Failing that, dropping him for Parayko isn't a bad option, given the shortage of quality d-men and Parayko's upside. Hang on to Rinne - I think a bounce-back next season is probable given how strong he has been in the playoffs.
    Follow me on Twitter @Ian_Gooding

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by gooding74 View Post
    Hang on to Rinne - I think a bounce-back next season is probable given how strong he has been in the playoffs.
    With a decent team in front of him and no really pressure from the backup, he can't be any worse. So you would be parting with him likely at his absolute lowest. See how he starts off the beginning of next campaign, and if he does alright, then you can move him for someone you are more comfortable with.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)