Thread: Matthews for 2nd +?

Dobber Sports Rookie

Question Matthews for 2nd +?

I have the Matthews pick this summer and I'm buying into all the Laine playoffs hype. The guy with #2 has Schwartz and Huberdeau and I'm wondering if it's worth getting one of them from him.

Roto league, cats are FOW, FO%, G, A, PIM(negative), SOG, HIT, BLK

The fact that we have 2, not 1, categories for faceoffs gives Matthews an even bigger value than otherwise. That's 2 out of the 8 skater cats that the wingers won't contribute to at all.

So, 2nd + Huberdeau or 2nd + Schwartz, or should I stop drinking the koolaid and take my future franchise center and run?

Thanks in advance.

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Re: Matthews for 2nd +?

It's not a crazy idea but at this point, I'd keep Matthews. Do you know for a fact that you can get his 2nd and one of the players listed for your first alone?
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Rookie

Nope, I haven't talked to him about it yet, I'm just considering whether I should toss out an offer. If I can't get one of those 2 guys then he's got nothing else I'm really interested in.

I just took over this team after the previous owner ran it into first-overall-by-a-landslide territory and ditched, and don't really know the other owners yet so no idea how likely it is that he'll accept.
    Last edited by Lekkric; April 28, 2016 at 12:34 AM. Reason: mi speling is gud

Dobber Sports Ace

If you could squeeze a Huberdeau or Schwartz and Laine for Matthews I would make that deal in a heartbeat. A lot of what I've heard is that these two guys are neck and neck and Matthews is getting the edge because he's the C.

Also there is the possibility that with the world championships coming up in a few weeks that perspective on these two could change. Laine could jump ahead of Matthews, if he has a great tournament and you could get screwed.
    6 Team no limit Keeper. Cap league $100m
    Points only G/A=1, Hattrick = +3, Wins = 2, SO = +3, OTL/SOL = +1
    12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies, 6 Reserve (any position)

Forwards
    Crosby $8.7
    Stone $9.5
    Svechnikov $7.7
    Debrincat $6.4
    Hall $6
    Meier $6
    Guentzel $6
    Ehlers $6
    Hertl $5.6
    Konecny $5.5
    Palat $5.3
    JT Miller $5.2
    Garland $4.9
    Kakko $.9
    Laff $.9

Defense
    Josi $9
    Burns $8
    Letang $7.2
    Nurse $5.6
    Werenski $5
    Sergachev $4.8
    Fox $.9

Goalies
    Shesterkin $5.6
    Ullmark $5
    Hart $3.9
    Blackwood $2.8

Dobber Sports Deity

What does the rest of your lineup look like? Who do you have for centers to help you with those two categories and what centers does the guy with the #2 pick have? Why aren't you looking at trading down, say even to #3 and pick up a good center with the pick swap? Any of those top three guys are going to be awesome.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Lekkric View Post
    Nope, I haven't talked to him about it yet, I'm just considering whether I should toss out an offer. If I can't get one of those 2 guys then he's got nothing else I'm really interested in.

I just took over this team after the previous owner ran it into first-overall-by-a-landslide territory and ditched, and don't really know the other owners yet so no idea how likely it is that he'll accept.
    Ok, that was my thinking. I doubt he accepts the deal. My fear was that if you sent that offer, he would counter with the 2nd and a lower tier player (as opposed to Hubs or Schwartz) and then you would have to work around that.

If you are interested in moving Matthews for that number 2 pick, I suggest you send out an email saying that you are willing to move the pick if the price is right but that you want a top pick and a top player in a return. Let that manager send you the offer and then you set the bar and go from there. You may also end up getting an offer for the number 3 pick and a better player than Huberdeau or Schwartz in return so you would have that to consider as well...

You may also end up getting ridculous offers and just keeping Matthews which is not a bad thing at all IMO.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    If you are interested in moving Matthews for that number 2 pick, I suggest you send out an email saying that you are willing to move the pick if the price is right but that you want a top pick and a top player in a return. Let that manager send you the offer and then you set the bar and go from there. You may also end up getting an offer for the number 3 pick and a better player than Huberdeau or Schwartz in return so you would have that to consider as well...

You may also end up getting ridculous offers and just keeping Matthews which is not a bad thing at all IMO.

I agree, see everyone's willingness to pay.
    14 Team | Keep 5 | H2H Weekly Lock
    Start: 2 x C, LW, RW | 4 x D | 1 x G

Scoring System:

+/- (0.5), G (3), A (2), PIM (0.25), PPG (1), PPA (1), SHG (2), ShG (1), BLK (0.1), HIT (0.1), GWG (1), HT (2)
    W (5), SHO (3), S (0.2), GA (-1), ShSv (0.2)

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Shop it for sure, but I'm still feeling the need to hang on to Matthews and let the Finish hype just pass on bye.