Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: McKeen's April Rankings: Laine 1st

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: McKeen's April Rankings: Laine 1st

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    McLeod is such a surprise there at 3. I understand the argument for Laine over Matthews (won’t be drafted that way tho), but McLeod at 3?!
    Here's my issue with ranking. Usually I'll support a lists place a guy higher than consensus such. Everyone likes certain things so whatever.
    But their biggest reason for dropping Puljujarvi was offensive reasons. They stated they wanted more from a guy in the top 3. Then they put McCleod top 3 saying "well he could be like Larkin wit hidden offense" and that he has intangibles that make it ok. It's just contradictory reasoning.

Not to mention there offensive "issues" post WJC (they specifically stated this was an issue for them) with Puljujarvi are unjustified considered he scored one less point than Laine in three less games (and the same number of (goals).
    14T BiWeekly H2H. 4 C/RW/LW, 6 D, 2 G
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

LW - Gaudreau, Forsberg, Parise, Hyman (C)
    C - Backstrom, Getzlaf, N Foligno (LW/RW), Kotkaniemi, Carter (LW/RW)
    RW - Tarasenko, Rantanen, Arvidsson, Atkinson, Gourde (C/LW), Mikheyev (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Ellis, Klingberg, Fox, Andersson
    G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Expert

All in all, its kind of a useless ranking...scouts have their own lists built on watching all of these prospects. I highly doubt they care too much about where a particular player ranks. Seems like these lists do nothing but cause uproars in the fantasy hockey communities.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Goldendelicious View Post
    The lack of pure centers in as 1st round talent in this draft class will have McLeod go top 10 for sure. He has done nothing this year to slip in the draft. Plays an exceptionally strong 2-way game in addition to the offensive numbers he put up. He also excels in the faceoff dot. Very strong playoff series against Barrie, he's solidified a top 10 pick. He'll likely go in the 7-8 range.
    I completely agree with u. I wouldn't be surprised if he goes ahead of nylander. dubois and tkachuk will be the first non-D-men to go after the big three, but McLeod will probably be next. where he'll wind up will be simply a matter of which teams want one of the big three dmen and which teams want one of those 3 forwards.

The Great One

Laine at 1.

**** off. I'd love to see them take Laine at 1 if they were a NHL franchise.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    Laine at 1.

**** off. I'd love to see them take Laine at 1 if they were a NHL franchise.
    Would be almost as bad as taking Yak first overall
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Stud

Laine at 1 isn't crazy. It won't happen, but when we look back in 5, 10, 15 years he could easily be the best player from the draft. His skills are so strong and he's improved by leaps and bounds this year. A year ago, his skating was considered a minus. Today, its at least average if not a small plus. He's got another level coming too.

To me, McLeod at 3 is silly though. He's just not gifted enough offensively to justify that high of a ranking. He is a heart and soul type player, with a non-stop motor that should go in the 10-14 range, but due to the lack of quality centres at the top portion of the draft, could slip into the 7-10 range. I think whoever gets him, will be happy but they'll be drafting a future 2/3 centre not a top liner.
    Staff Writer for DobberHockey
    Associate Editor/Senior Writer and Scout for DobberProspects - Vancouver Canucks

Keep on, keepin' on.

Dobber Sports Monster

I think Laine's jump is due to his crazy playoffs hes having.

https://twitter.com/NicholsOnHockey/...46702761713664

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Wizard

Laine at 1 is not crazy at all. Center/winger argument and all that, but he's no Yakupov that's for sure. I've been keeping up on him over on HFboards, some guys keep putting up videos of him. Not highlight videos, just videos of all his shifts. The way a 17 year old kid is totally dominating is impressive. The Lemieux comparisons come from how he uses his size and reach and they are apt. Ovechkin gets used as a comparison a lot as well due to the size and shot.

Honestly, in fantasy drafts, Laine might have become my top choice. Even in the actual NHL draft, he brings a rare skill set. As good as Matthews is, he's a pretty standard center. Very good, but a skill set you typically find in any draft, or at least a skill set you can come close to finding. Laine is a truly dominant sniper.... That's not the kind of player you find lying around every year.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar