Thread: 2016 Draft Class NHL Readiness

Dobber Sports Recruit

Default 2016 Draft Class NHL Readiness

Does anyone know of any NHL expert opinion (à la Bobby Mack) posted out there about this year's top picks' NHL readiness?

Read: Are any of them, outside of Mathews, expected to contribute enough next year to be worthy of one of 12 Forward spots in a points only salary cap keeper league without bench nor farm system?

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Re: 2016 Draft Class NHL Readiness

Won't know until training camp rolls around. A lot depends on who gets drafted where and how much they impress their team.

Laine, Puljujarvi, Dubois, Chychrun I would say stand the optimal chances to make their teams out of camps...again depending on who drafts them. Outside of them, its unlikely many make an impact next season.

And that also depends on how deep your league and how much prospects impact your system...with no farm or minors, the forwards are the only ones I would even remotely consider.

Dobber Sports Deity

One of the benefits for kids like Laine and Puljujarvi is they can play in the AHL starting next season where-as Chychrun and Dubois are NHL or bust (technically back to Jr but you know what I mean ) so even if the two kids from Europe don't make their NHL team, they at least have a chance to get a few games here and there. This is all assuming they even cross the pond to play after getting drafted.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Only Fins I can think of who played when they were 18 was Barkov and Rantanen. Not sure if they are going to follow their leads and do their military commitment over the summer) or stay home as others have (Granlund comes to mind) and fulfill it their first eligible season. I'm sure one of our Finnish posters would have more insight as I'm sure I may be wrong on this as well.

Dobber Sports Pro

It's also important to consider how productive they will be even if they do make it on to an NHL roster. Barkov is a good example - not very useful in his first year. I don't know how the Finns will fare next year if they make the NHL, but beyond the 1st overall (and 2nd overall this year) I don't think you can count on much in the way of significant production next year based on the production of draftees from previous years.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Just based on their readiness, and not their eventual team's circumstances, aside from Matthews, I think Laine has the best shot at making an NHL roster.