Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 NFL Free Agency Chatter

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Re: 2016 NFL Free Agency Chatter

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Outside of Wentz, Goff and possibly Lynch, there isn't much to get excited about for QBs for sure.
    Most QBs need 4-5 years of understudy work before they're ready for action. I've thought drafting a QB and throwing directly to the lions den is a terrible idea for the QB and for the team. Seldomly does this approach seem to work.

Dobber Sports Deity

Scratch one team off the Kaepernick possible landing spot.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/708359036903759873

The #Broncos have traded for #Eagles QB Mark Sanchez in exchange for a 2017 conditional pick, source said (@MikeKlis on it 1st)
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Scratch one team off the Kaepernick possible landing spot.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/708359036903759873
    Butt fumbles!!!!

Dobber Sports Deity

Or not...

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/sta...77217571508224

Even after trading for Mark Sanchez, Broncos plan to bring in another QB to compete for starting job. Denver not done at QB yet.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Sanchez is a backup, a half decent one, but a backup none the less. So this was a pretty good acquisition for the Broncos. If they are unable to get a Starting QB, they can coast off of this guy for the yr.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Sanchez is a backup, a half decent one, but a backup none the less. So this was a pretty good acquisition for the Broncos. If they are unable to get a Starting QB, they can coast off of this guy for the yr.
    Yeah ya have to figure they have another in mind. They just lost two QBs so they have to build depth there post haste. Sanchez ideally is the #2...ideally. Who their #1 target is is beyond me at this point.
    @SmittysRant

The irony in all of this is, Fitz wanting more money than the Jets are willing to pay is a product of the Texans overpaying on Brock-nado and the Broncos signing Dirty Sanchez.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Sanchez is going to be eating alot more hotdogs on the bench in Denver!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Goldendelicious View Post
    Most QBs need 4-5 years of understudy work before they're ready for action. I've thought drafting a QB and throwing directly to the lions den is a terrible idea for the QB and for the team. Seldomly does this approach seem to work.
    Isn't this notion horribly out-dated?

Look at the best quarterbacks in the NFL today. Almost all of them were starting games within their first two years in the league: Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Cam Newton, Ben Roethlisberger, Andrew Luck, Russell Wilson, Matthew Stafford, Matt Ryan, Eli Manning, Andy Dalton, Carson Palmer, Joe Flacco.

Some exceptions: Aaron Rodgers, Philip Rivers. But both were stuck behind elite quarterbacks.

Now, I suppose what you are saying is correct, most quarterbacks aren't elite quarterbacks. Most quarterbacks don't have the skills of the guys on the above list. But I think it's been proven in recent years that, more often than not, guys either make their impact right away or they don't make it at all.

Maybe that means there's a whole section of the population that indeed does need 4-5 years to develop and the entire football community is just abandoning those guys. The process is simply too slow to make that a worthwhile investment. I could certainly get behind that. But I also don't think there's a management team that has the kind of job security to put that sort of development plan into place. Plus, good luck keeping that guy you have been developing once his rookie contract runs out and he starts looking for opportunities.

Anyhow, free agency...

Bummed out by the Ravens losing Kelechi Osemele. He was a BEAST. A part of me hopes his back is beyond repair so that the Ravens didn't lose a good one to a conference rival but they were pushing hard to keep KO so I assume they think his back is fine. They had one of the most dominant lines in the league a couple of years ago. How quickly things fall apart. Of course, it's the Ravens and they have one of the better management teams so they will find/develop new assets. Losing key guys is an annual part of the process.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Isn't this notion horribly out-dated?

Look at the best quarterbacks in the NFL today. Almost all of them were starting games within their first two years in the league: Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Cam Newton, Ben Roethlisberger, Andrew Luck, Russell Wilson, Matthew Stafford, Matt Ryan, Eli Manning, Andy Dalton, Carson Palmer, Joe Flacco.

Some exceptions: Aaron Rodgers, Philip Rivers. But both were stuck behind elite quarterbacks.

Now, I suppose what you are saying is correct, most quarterbacks aren't elite quarterbacks. Most quarterbacks don't have the skills of the guys on the above list. But I think it's been proven in recent years that, more often than not, guys either make their impact right away or they don't make it at all.

Maybe that means there's a whole section of the population that indeed does need 4-5 years to develop and the entire football community is just abandoning those guys. The process is simply too slow to make that a worthwhile investment. I could certainly get behind that. But I also don't think there's a management team that has the kind of job security to put that sort of development plan into place. Plus, good luck keeping that guy you have been developing once his rookie contract runs out and he starts looking for opportunities.

Anyhow, free agency...

Bummed out by the Ravens losing Kelechi Osemele. He was a BEAST. A part of me hopes his back is beyond repair so that the Ravens didn't lose a good one to a conference rival but they were pushing hard to keep KO so I assume they think his back is fine. They had one of the most dominant lines in the league a couple of years ago. How quickly things fall apart. Of course, it's the Ravens and they have one of the better management teams so they will find/develop new assets. Losing key guys is an annual part of the process.
    The prob with your comparison MD is the college game has been trending (and continues to do so) towards spread offense, with QBs playing out of primarily shotgun formations with seven step drop-backs, throwing to a schemed receiver where at best they have to read only half the field. Not to mention you have boosters acting as OCs. 2017 should be a better class of QBs, but the fact is QBs coming out of college are less and less equipped w/traits of an NFL caliber QB. Russell Wilson has succeeded because Pete Carroll was smart enough recognize his QB's limitations and scheme to his strengths bringing him along slowly despite being the starter. On the other side of the spectrum you have EJ Manuel Collin Kaepernick, Geno Smith, RGIII. EDIT: I think the Bryce Petty, Brent Hundley and Garrett Grayson's of the league eventually win out.

On a related noted as a possible litmus test, it'll be interesting to see what Mularkey does w/Mariota in TEN now that Murray is there. Murray succeeds as a N/S runner w/his QB under center. He is not laterally explosive and has poor vision which is why he failed in in PHI w/Kelly. Mariota to date is best known as a shotgun option read player. Is Mularkey going to transition him into a pocket passer, making him play under center more (to Murray's strength) or will Mularkey play to Mariota's strengths and force the square peg that is Murray into the round hole of a shotgun offense??
    @SmittysRant

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    The prob with your comparison MD is the college game has been trending (and continues to do so) towards spread offense, with QBs playing out of primarily shotgun formations with seven step drop-backs, throwing to a schemed receiver where at best they have to read only half the field. Not to mention you have boosters acting as OCs. 2017 should be a better class of QBs, but the fact is QBs coming out of college are less and less equipped w/traits of an NFL caliber QB. Russell Wilson has succeeded because Pete Carroll was smart enough recognize his QB's limitations and scheme to his strengths bringing him along slowly despite being the starter. On the other side of the spectrum you have EJ Manuel Collin Kaepernick, Geno Smith, RGIII. EDIT: I think the Bryce Petty, Brent Hundley and Garrett Grayson's of the league eventually win out.

On a related noted as a possible litmus test, it'll be interesting to see what Mularkey does w/Mariota in TEN now that Murray is there. Murray succeeds as a N/S runner w/his QB under center. He is not laterally explosive and has poor vision which is why he failed in in PHI w/Kelly. Mariota to date is best known as a shotgun option read player. Is Mularkey going to transition him into a pocket passer, making him play under center more (to Murray's strength) or will Mularkey play to Mariota's strengths and force the square peg that is Murray into the round hole of a shotgun offense??
    Even Kap and RGIII were successful out of the gate.

Even Kap and RGIII were successful out of the gate.
    True. Until NFL defenses caught up to them. Ultimately as a QB you have to learn the nuances of being a pocket passer to have any long term success. imo
    @SmittysRant

Administrator

True. Until NFL defenses caught up to them. Ultimately as a QB you have to learn the nuances of being a pocket passer to have any long term success. imo
    I don't know that defenses caught up to RGIII. He got wrecked by injuries. Kap definitely went off a cliff.

I don't know that defenses caught up to RGIII. He got wrecked by injuries. Kap definitely went off a cliff.
    That's what happens when you can't even identify the mike-linebacker coming out of college. Have no timing and rhythm to convert on 3rd-and-9; fail to convert in the red zone cuz it's a condensed field.
    @SmittysRant

Administrator

That's what happens when you can't even identify the mike-linebacker coming out of college. Have no timing and rhythm to convert on 3rd-and-9; fail to convert in the red zone cuz it's a condensed field.
    I blame the field conditions in their playoff game when he was playing in a compromised condition.