Thread: What is Matthews worth?

Dobber Sports Pro

Default What is Matthews worth?

I own two picks in the upcoming draft that will be top 5: a guarantee that one is at least top 3, and a very good chance that one is 1st overall.

Ideally, I'd like to hang on to one pick and trade the other for prospects closer along.

First and foremost-- what is Matthews worth? Is he has good as Eichel?

Secondly-- how do you compare this year's 2nd-5th overall prospects to guys like Ehlers, Strome, Marner, etc.

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: What is Matthews worth?

I'd see him behind Eichel and McDavid but a step ahead of Marner and Strome. I'd put Ehlers somewhere right in the middle as well.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

McDavid
    Eichel
    Matthews
    Ehlers
    Strome*
    Marner*

*pretty interchangeable, and could potentially leapfrog Ehlers but hard to do that now when Ehlers has already proven he's an NHL forward.

I think Matthews/Eichel are similar in value but again Eichel has proved a lot more given he's in the NHL.

Dobber Sports Expert

I'd say a slight step behind McDavid, ahead of Eichel. If you want to ensure you have the best opportunity to get him, I would hang onto both picks (and package them if you don't win the lottery) for 1st overall

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Goldendelicious View Post
    I'd say a slight step behind McDavid, ahead of Eichel. If you want to ensure you have the best opportunity to get him, I would hang onto both picks (and package them if you don't win the lottery) for 1st overall
    What if we throw Willie Nylander in the mix?

The guy that could potentially steal 1st overall from me offered his first rounder + Sam Morin for Nylander. What do you think? At best it's Matthews+Morin, at worst it's 5th overall+Morin

Dobber Sports Expert

If your league is not scoring, hits, blocks and pims, I don't see Morin holding much value. But if you are, he is a valuable cog imo. It depends if you're willing to wait another year or too potentially for your return. If tis guaranteed top 5, I'd move Nylander for the pick + Morin if you score the categories listed above. I see Nylander being at best equal to the likes of Laine, Puljujarvi, Tkachuk and a good chance your pick is one of those 3.

Dobber Sports Jedi

If we're talking NHL production next year for Matthews, I think Eichel, Larkin, MacKinnon's 1st year are pretty good indicators as to what to expect as far as ceilings. He's not McDavid. I'm not sure how much playing in Europe is going to make a difference to his adjustments coming in. Longer term he's projected to consistently become a pt/gm player.

I think if you move Nylander you're rolling the dice a bit. If that pick becomes #5, you're now looking at possibly 2-3 years before you get any return. Nylander should be in the Leafs line up next season full time, and I'd expect 45+pts from him. If you already have 2 1st rounders I'd hold Nylander. There's a reason he's willing to part with a top 5 pick and Morin for Nylander. I wouldn't make that deal, but that's me. Nylander is further along and appears to be less of a risk. In some instances it's better to acquire as many assets as possible, but you are trading one nice shiny object for the newer nice shiny object (maybe).
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Sage

I'd put him right alongside Eichel.

McDavid

Matthews/Eichel

Ehlers/Marner/Strome

Matthews should be winning the calder next year while Marner will likely be serving a year in the AHL.
    The League in London (20 Team Multi-Cat H2H $100 Dynasty League) - Season 11
    ... In memory of "The Net Detective"
    C Pinto kDach Hayton Roy / Lowry Bjugstad Blueger Carrick
    LW Lehkonen Knies kJohnson Greenway / Laferriere Reichel Luostarinen Kartye Grebyonkin Buchelnikov
    RW
    Quinn Joseph Roslovic Chinakhov / Kakko Glass Brink O'Connor Holmberg Berggren Tuomaala
    D
    Werenski Hronek Power Guhle McCabe Roy / Gudas Raddysh Pachal Evans Cormier
    G
    Swayman / Hill Mrazek Ivanov Kokko

Dobber Sports Master

I equate Matthews to Eichel, and would base any return for him or give to get him based on what I would want for Eichel.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Ace

I heard Crawford who is coaching Matthews in Swiss and he said he is the best player there now and he said he his better than Eichel.

That is coach view but Marc know his hockey so for me
    Mcdavid
    Matthews
    Eichel
    10teams H2H keep 12 dress 3C,3LW,3RW,6D,2G,2uti+4bench
    G,A,PIM,PPP,SOG,HIT,BS,W,L,GAA,SV%
    C:GETZ,Pavelski,Rakell,Brassard
    RW:P.Kane,Tarasenko,Wheeler,Silfverberg,Brown
    LW:Paciorety,Mantha,Panik,Namestnikov
    D:OEL,Burns,Josi,BUFF,E.Johnson,Sergachev,Mcavoy
    G:Holtby,Dubnyk,Budaj

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by bluteau View Post
    I heard Crawford who is coaching Matthews in Swiss and he said he is the best player there now and he said he his better than Eichel.

That is coach view but Marc know his hockey so for me
    Mcdavid
    Matthews
    Eichel
    Just because he said it, doesn't necessarily mean he believes it. It could just be a case of Crawford trying to support Matthews or trying to keep him motivated.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    Just because he said it, doesn't necessarily mean he believes it. It could just be a case of Crawford trying to support Matthews or trying to keep him motivated.

Rylant

This makes me think of years ago when Semin said that Kane was the best player in the league and everyone thought it was hilarious.

Meanwhile, a couple years later, Patrick Kane is eating the NHL for breakfast.

(not saying he's the best in the league, just laughing at the irony of it)

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post

Rylant
    I believe it was when he drafted Kadri that burke stood up and said immediately after that he was the best player in the draft and the guy who they would have taken #1 overall...coaches and Gms will say anything to increase their players stock.