Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Best NHL Arena?

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: Best NHL Arena?

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    Oh, then yeah, that explains it. Tickets at the Spectrum were affordable and the Philly crazies would pack that joint in droves!! Once Lindros helped "build" the new megaplex, tickets increased significantly and a good chunk of the trash was priced out. It's still a little "edgy" (mostly against rivals) but NOTHING compared to what it was in the 70's through 90's at the Spectrum.

Come to another Flyers game and leave the Devils gear at home simply for your own enjoyment. I bet you have a blast. Their set-up with the Pavillion and sports bars is exceptional.

I really do not like the Rangers/Bruins so I'd probably enjoy coming to see the Flyers play one of them. I think in order to really get the most out of an arena experience you need to be pulling for the home team. Is the Pavillion the giant sports bar that's basically in the parking lot? That place is awesome, totally agree that it's a complete game-changer for pregame plans.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by FinnishFlash View Post
    MTL was the best one for atmosphere that I've been to.

I'm not a MTL fan by any means, quite the opposite, but the people, excitement level, and just general love for hockey there was awesome.
    Agreed. I'm not a MTL fan either but we had a great time at the Bell Centre!
    WHL - 24tm multicast salary partial keeper
    19 Active / 6 Reserve / 15 Minors
    3C/3LW/3RW/3F/6D/1G
    Skaters: G/ A/ +/- /PIM/SOG/PPP/Hit/Blk/FOW-C
    Goalies: GS/W/OL/GAA/SV%/SV/SHO/ShL/A

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    That's a great bucket list item. I have one of seeing a game in all seven Canadian cities (two down so far), but yours is way more involved.
    Yeah, mine is pretty ambitious. To make matters worse I have this thing about needing to see a game in all the "current" arenas so my past visits to WPG don't count!
    3C/3LW/3RW/3F/6D/1G

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    I suggest a swing down the North East and hit...

Madison Square Garden in NYC
    Wells Fargo Center in Philly
    Verizon Center in DC

These can all be done on one trip with efficient planning. Train from NYC to Philly = 90 mins. Train from Philly to DC = 90 mins.

I agree with you that MTL is the best game experience today. I've been to the old Montreal Forum and Maple Leaf Gardens (which were on a whole different level) but today, the Bell Centre is tops. I also agree that the Air Canada Centre in Toronto is a very "blah" experience. I've been there 4 times for games and each time the experience was underwhelming - I expected a lot more from Toronto, especially after the experiences I had in the old Maple Leaf Gardens.

In the last 5-6 years I've been to multiple games at each: MTL, TOR, OTT, WSH, NYR, NJD, PHI, BOS.

I'd rank them...

1. MTL
    2. NYR
    3. PHI / OTT
    4. WSH
    5. BOS / TOR
    6. NJD

Outside of Montreal, The Garden in NYC is the best from a "hockey" standpoint. Fans are loud, the atmosphere is great. The Garden has some retro feel to it (even with the renovations). And there's a few good places near there to have some beers / food.

The best "overall" experience is probably Philly... and I sell it short because I live here and have taken it for granted (going tonight actually vs. BUF). But I've talked to Canadian fans who visit for games and they are all amazed by how cool the experience is and what the Wells Fargo Center has to offer. For starters, it opens 2 hours before game time and has a couple built-in arena bars with multiple TVs, great food and plenty of beers. My favorite area is called "the Pavillion" and once in there, you can walk into the concourse and are seconds away from your seats. The Pavillion is also open 2 hours AFTER the game so you can belly up at the bar, grab a table and enjoy a cold one while watching the late games on TV. Within a 5 minute walk of the arena are Xfinity LIVE and Chickie's & Pete's - both awesome places to hang before / after games. Sometimes the Flyers players pop into either place, depending on the night of game, etc. As for the "in-game" experience in Philly, it all depends on HOW the Flyers are playing... and WHO the Flyers are playing. If it's a good game vs. a rivalry, the game will be awesome. The fans will be loud, obnoxious and intimidating. If it's a snooze fest vs. Columbus, a portion of the fans will be in the Pavillion watching the game on TV while drinking lol. One great thing about Philly is - if you like watching warm-ups from down by the glass - ticket ushers let you go down there even if your tickets are for an upper level. In Montreal, Toronto and NY, they won't let you down, even during warm-ups which is silly.

The Canadian Tire Centre in Ottawa was also a lot of fun. Not as great as Montreal but definitely better than Toronto (which surprised me). Fun, friendly crowd and cool places to get beers. The only drawback is that the arena is NOT in Ottawa - it's like a 25 or 30 minute bus ride from downtown. So before / after the game, there really isn't anything that eventful to do.

Washington is really neat because the Verizon Center is in the middle of Chinatown. There are plenty of pubs, bars and places to go before / after... all within walking distance. The atmosphere at the game is very good... a younger (collegiate type) crowd in huge sections. Of course Ovie always puts on a show - he alone is worth the sticker price. Caps games are a good time.

Boston / Toronto are about the same - just OK. I expected a better experience at both places. If I had to choose, slight edge goes to Boston, but they are on par.

The Prudential Center in NJ is TERRIBLE for games. Believe it or not, I liked their older digs so much better. The arena is a big, cookie cutter arena that offers nothing special. The crowd is lame as are the cheesy promotions they do during all the stoppages. There is ONE bar / VIP club in the arena and you need special tickets to get in there. There is nothing to do in the arena before / after the game and Newark, NJ is NOT the place you just want to gallivant and stumble into random bars. The whole experience is bad. If I never go to another Devils game, I'll be a happy man.

Other arenas on my "GO-TO list" are...

The Joe in DET... CHI... TAM... NSH. Heard very nice things about all four.

P.S. - If you come to Philly, message me ahead of time and I'll grab some tickets and we can pre-game (if you / your people) are up for that
    I was in NYC in the fall of 2014 and WAS in the fall of 2015 and you guessed it - the NHL scheduling gods were not on my side. NYR, NJ, NYI and WAS were all away during my visits. That means another road trip!
    3C/3LW/3RW/3F/6D/1G

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Pit Bulls View Post
    Agreed. I'm not a MTL fan either but we had a great time at the Bell Centre!
    I went to the Bell Centre in 2007, watched the Habs play the Islanders in March... it was when the Canadiens were fighting for a playoff spot, game went into OT, MTL ended up winning 6-5. Intensity was through the roof.

All I remember thinking the whole time is OH MY GOD THIS IS AWESOME.

I think it's a must for every die hard hockey fan to catch a game there in their lifetime.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Pitbull if you are attempting to hit all 30 arenas at some point in your life, make sure to check off the Coyotes in the next year or two to make your list 31!
    WHL (24-Team Daily H2H)
    Weighted Scoring: G(1),A(1),PPP(0.5),+/-(0.25), SOG/PIM/HIT/BLK(all 0.05), FOW-C(0.01)

Braham Pietasters
    C(3): Barkov, Seguin, N.Schmaltz
    LW(3): Gaudreau, Pacioretty, Hinostroza
    RW(3): Radulov, Mantha, Dadonov
    F(3): Bailey, Thornton, Vanek
    D(6): Josi, Jones, Krug, Leddy, Ellis, Miller
    G(1): Bishop (Sparks)
    Bench: T. Wilson (RW), Boyle (C), Pirri (C), Boyd (C)
    Farm: Myers (D), Husso (G), Soderstrom (G), Petersen (G), Anderson-Dolan (C), Pilut (D), Capobianco (D), Aho (D)

Dobber Sports Stud

I've been to a few over the years - Montreal (new), Quebec (LaFleur out of retirement era - looooong time ago), Toronto (old and new), Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, Tampa, and NY (MSG). Tops would be MTL and WIN. Both had great crowds that truly were into the game. Tampa has gotten a lot better over the past few years (they've fixed it up a bit and the crowd is decent). Toronto (home town) has a nice arena but agree with those above, poor atmosphere. Edmonton was pretty bad, good crowd but it felt like an old barn. I've heard Nashville is a hell of an experience too.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I've been too WPG (old), WPG (new), TOR (old), TOR (new), CGY, EDM, NYR, CHI, MIN, NAS and PHX..

Game 1 of the playoffs in WPG (2015) was the loudest game I have ever been too live.. The first game back in WPG in 2011 against MON was lights out, just not as loud as that first playoff game..

Chicago was awesome.. Nashville was unforgettable.. Minnesota was really good, crowd was booming.. Calgary, back when Iggy was there was entertaining.. Maple Leaf Gardens was always a great place to watch a game when I was much younger..

Best game ever: Madison Square Garden, Rangers vs. Islanders.. Ohhhhhhhhhhh boy!! I'll never forget that one!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Icon

I've been to a handful of arenas
    Edmonton
    Vancouver
    Anaheim
    Nashville
    Calgary

Nashville was bybfar the best of those five. Loud and the fans had a hell of a time.

I also want to get to all 30.
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Michkov, Quinn, Perfetti(C,LW), Foerster, Kakko
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Mintyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR-

Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Giant

Calgary didn't impress me at all. Edmonton was ok, I'm a huge gretzky fan so there's the statues and memorabilia and such. It seems as though any seat in Vancouver is a good seat.
    I'd love to hit msg , and the new jersey devils rink looks pretty sweet with their ice bars etc.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO