Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: [Trade] Phaneuf to Ottawa in monster deal

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Re: [Trade] Phaneuf to Ottawa in monster deal

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Assuming he signs.

Even Bob McKenzie isn't so sure he signs there.

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/from-t...ns-on-stamkos/
    when i said "signs" i didn't mean toronto. i still think he re-signs with Tampa. next best odds are Toronto though. I'm not sure if there's really any other team in the mix....although I've heard NYR just because they love big name acquisitions.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Cowan (3.7M, 4.5M in 2016-17) Michalek (4M, 4M in 2016-17) Greening (2.7M, 3M in 2016-17) .... Not a bad deal of Ottawa

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Assuming he signs.

Even Bob McKenzie isn't so sure he signs there.

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/from-t...ns-on-stamkos/
    Do not burst Toronto’s bubble. We signed Donaldson finally, traded away Dion, our teams in the running for 1st overall, and Stamkos being a Leaf is a possibility. Along with unicorns, leprechauns, and a where Ryan Reynolds makes a good super hero movie.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Genius

I'm not so sure trading Phaneuf makes the leafs worse. Giving the kids more ice might actually make them better.
    Contract Fantrax 14 teams, 8 keepers. 4 max lifers +/-
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 1F. 5D,2G....5Reserves.
    Goal heavy. G=3.5 A=2 Add 0.5pts for D.
    Goalies:W=3,SO=4,start=2,Save=.1
    Assist +4, OF loss +1 loss= -1 Goal against -1
    C:MACKINNON,Kadri,Rossi,Thompson
    LW: KANE,HUBERDEAU,Marchand,kotkaniemi,Colton,N.Robert son
    RW:KUCHEROV,RANTANEN,Kessel,Bjorkstrand
    FOX,BURNS,Jones,Girard,lundkist,Hanafin
    G:CAMPBELL,Swayman
    Minors:Mctavish,Johnson

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Stamkos will dry up like a old prune if he goes to the Leafs. If he does go to T Dot they'll probably give him 15mill/yr for 20 years and tack on an extra 5 mill jock strap bonus.

Go SENS!
    Roto keep 8+1G

Start - 3RW/3LW/3C/4D/2G/1Utl

G,A,+|-,PIM,GWG,PPP,W,GAA,SV%,SO

League 1 (11 Teams) 10th yr

2017/2018 Roster

LW-Panarin/Galchenyuk/Roussel/Drouin
    C-Malkin/Zinanejad/Couturier/Brassard
    RW-Bratt/Oshie/Simmonds/Sheary
    D-Karlsson/Butcher/Fowler/Green
    G-Rask/Howard/Varlamov/Bernier
    (P)-Virtanen/O'Connor/Saros/Glass/White/Vesey

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Any takes on how Phaneuf will produce in Ottawa now? Ie. is he a 40 point D-man now by not being Captain, insulated on pairing 2 (behind Karlsson) and with some good offense up front?

Dobber's review didn't seem to show Phaneuf as being 'helped' or bumped up in value with this trade..he is worth going after for this year or next in Fantasy?
    2012-2013 Beermargs (Points only) CHAMP
    2013-2014 Pucks, Picks & Points (Yahoo H2H) CHAMP
    2016-2017 Beermargs (Points only) CHAMP
    2019-2020 Pucks Picks and Points (Yahoo H2H) CHAMP*

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by rtstr View Post
    I don't know why anyone would gripe about that comment, Kadri sucks
    Who's griping. Everyone knows by now that Kadri sucks.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Godin View Post
    Who's griping. Everyone knows by now that Kadri sucks.
    Apparently a lot-- I'm referring to a thread referenced by someone where Big Ev apparently professed that Cowen is better than Kadri. I don't know the thread, but based on the post about it I can infer that Big Ev's opinion was likely met with some disdain. And the point is, Cowen is now a Leaf and Big Ev just called him deadweight. Thus, irony, and thus, the trolls come out to play.

It's irrelevant anyway, I was just being facetious. But there's your answer.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    Kadri's overrated, but he certainly doesn't suck. And he's miles better than Cowen.
    A 2nd liner vs. a #6 d-man. I'll go with the 2nd liner.

This trade is a monster win for the Leafs.
    Any Leafs fan who says otherwise is just being polite, and kudos for being so humble about it.
    The Sens are far, far, far away from being anything even resembling a contender, so adding a 7 mil contract (for another half decade or so!) in a #3 d-man is just silly.
    All by itself.
    Including a decent prospect, plus a 2nd rounder, makes it a huge win for Toronto.
    Most Leafs fans would have been happy just to have Dion off the books.
    You really know nothing about Ottawa's situation do you.

If you would understand anything, you would see they just purged three contracts they weren't really using for a legit top four d they desperately needed.

Who's to say adding that top four d doesn't make them a contender in the next few years? Far away from being a contender is a stretch. They needed d help, they addressed it big time without losing anything

But you go ahead and be excited about a second round pick and a fringe prospect. We'll be excited about actually having a competitive team for years

It was a win for both clubs. Anyone suggesting otherwise doesn't understand each teams motives and situations

Dobber Sports Pro

Kadri's overrated, but he certainly doesn't suck. And he's miles better than Cowen.
    A 2nd liner vs. a #6 d-man. I'll go with the 2nd liner.

Any Leafs fan who says otherwise is just being polite, and kudos for being so humble about it.
    The Sens are far, far, far away from being anything even resembling a contender, so adding a 7 mil contract (for another half decade or so!) in a #3 d-man is just silly.
    All by itself.
    Including a decent prospect, plus a 2nd rounder, makes it a huge win for Toronto.
    Most Leafs fans would have been happy just to have Dion off the books.
    Well, I think any player who has the tools to be great but is too lazy/self-centered/one-dimensional to get there sucks. It might not be a fair scale, but it's the one I use. I think Kadri dogs it half the time and acts like an asshat so it makes me think he sucks. I don't respect players that mail it in. I'm not denying his talent, though-- I would love to see him consistently do what he's capable of. I was excited about him his draft year, I thought he was one of the more intriguing picks. He's seemed too enigmatic to be counted on as a top center, though.

I too agree that this is a great trade for the Leafs, but a good one for Ottawa too.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dunkthefunk View Post
    Any takes on how Phaneuf will produce in Ottawa now? Ie. is he a 40 point D-man now by not being Captain, insulated on pairing 2 (behind Karlsson) and with some good offense up front?

Dobber's review didn't seem to show Phaneuf as being 'helped' or bumped up in value with this trade..he is worth going after for this year or next in Fantasy?
    Wasn't he on track for more than 40 this season anyway?

Banned

Well, I also said Lehner was overrated and would never be their #1.

If you think the Sens are a legit contender, you're delusional.
    And if you agree they aren't a contender, this deal is silly.
    NO your opinion here is silly. They needed a top four d to become a contender. How do you think teams become contenders? Ottawa needed to get a high priced veteran d in order to become that contender.

Whywould would a team who is already a cup contender add a top four d who makes what phaneuf makes? They would already have their top four set if they were a cup contender.

This is a fantastic fantastic trade for Ottawa and most people would agree with that. It does not make them legit contenders but I helps them immensely and with their offense they are certainly contenders in the next few years if not this year for playoffs at least

Banned

Let's just remember this thread in a couple years, when the Sens are wishing they could get Redden him to the minors.
    Even if that were to happen why couldn't they do it? They just did that with greening.

NO point in discussing this further. Phaneuf is a good player, just because he wasn't what you guys expected doesn't make it not true. Both teams did very well here

Dobber Sports Padawan

I'm really not following this. You don't become a contender by NOT improving your team a piece at a time. Ottawa's problem was defense. We are brutal and Cowen was part of the reason for that. Adding Phaneuf to the top-4 is huge for us. We've also still got $6.6 mil of cap space, before Phillips and Neil even come off the books for another $4.4mil. $11mil of cap space re-ups some of our young guns and then some. Ottawa has been a playoff team 4 times out of 6 years. By improving their biggest current weakness, they got better.

I'm not really seeing how Toronto wins this trade. They got some long term cap relief, that's about it. This move will help them lose, which I guess is sort of a win for them. But calling this a win based on Lindberg? He's never even played in the NHL.
    10-team H2H points keeper league, keep 4
    G: 2, A: 2, SOG: 0.15, Hit: 0.15, Block: 0.15, W: 3.5, Sv: 0.025, SO: 6
    7 F, 3 D, 1 G

2022-2023 Roster:
    F: Connor McDavid, Steven Stamkos, Artemi Panarin, Jack Hughes, Mark Stone, Josh Norris, Tyler Bertuzzi, PL Dubois, Sam Bennett, Tom Wilson (IR)
    D: Kris Letang, Drew Doughty, Brent Burns, Shayne Gostisbehere
    G: Ilya Sorokin, Thatcher Demko

Banned

Fantastic trade in a non-cap league. Maybe.
    Not now.

How many times do you have to see marginal teams take on huge contracts before you will recognize it as silly ? Most people see this.

You take chances like this when you are ALREADY a contender, not hoping it will make you a contender.
    By the way, if you can't see the nonsense in suggesting that Dion Phaneuf will help make you a contender, then you are clearly taking homerism to a completely unsafe place.
    Again Ottawa doesn't care about his cap hit

And yes phaneuf absolutely helps Ottawa's d core. He is now their second best d.

You're logic makes zero sense. If they didn't make a move for phaneuf or somebody like him the their D would have continued to be bad after the top pair and they would still have the bad contracts of Cowen and greening

Your opinion is the definite minority here