Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Simmonds/ dirty plays

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: Simmonds/ dirty plays

Quote Originally Posted by The Bottlenecker View Post

I agree that neither guy, Simmonds or McDonagh, was more wrong than the other until Simmonds threw his stick. If that was at an official, than he has to face a suspension of some sort (and again, I just friggin well picked him up). Regardless of whether he hit the official or not is irrelevant.

As for what transpired between him and McDonagh, they both could have gotten tossed, but not one without the other. Terribly one-sided call in my opinion.
    Couldn't of said this any better. +1

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I haven't seen the play yet, but are there going to be suspensions handed out for this?? Guys are saying "and I just picked him up" like he's going to miss the rest of the season??

Edit: ok whoaaaaaaaaa here, I just watched it.. McDonaugh went down like he was shot, come on now.. Match penalty?? For what?? Getting cross checked in the head?? They should have gave them both game misconducts, and said see ya later..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Ace

Both were at fault pretty equally from what I saw, Simmonds getting the match penalty was an over-reaction call IMO. McD went down pretty fast/easy on a punch which barely landed. It was interesting because after that the Flyers got a bunch of PP opportunities so I think the refs were trying to make up for what they realized was a bad call. The refs also let a lot of other pretty obvious fouls go during the game so overall it was a poorly officiated affair. And, as we all know, there are zero consequences for poor officiating. If there was, the quality might improve. Shockingly obvious I know, but the NHL is deathly afraid to hold them accountable.
    Champion: 2010, 2014, 2015, 2016
    12 Team Keeper League - 12F, 6D, 3G, 3 Bench (Keep 6, in Bold)
    $250 Cap (0-9 +3; 10-19 +4; >20 +5 each season)
    WW = $10

G, A, +/-, PPG, PPA, GWG, SHG, W, GAA, SV%, SO - Points Based League

F: Guentzel (15), Point (11), Barzal (18), WNylander (15), Trochek (1), Eberle (1), Domi (4), Toffoli (1), TBertuzzi (1), Buchnevich (1), Tuch (1), Puljujarvi (1)

D: Theodore (17), Heiskanen (15), Pulock (7), Sanheim (1), Faulk (1), Morrissey (1)

G: Markstrom (7), Saros (15), Binnington (39), Jarry (40)

B: DeSmith (1), Lindblom (1)

IR or Out: Ghost (1), OEL (9), Teravainen (28), PMyers (1)

Dobber Sports Veteran

It wasnt that big of a punch and things like that are happening split-second. When he throws the punch, he doesn't know its going to land that hard, he doesnt know McD is going to drop like a sack of potatoes. It wasn't really a haymaker it was more a jab to the chin.

Maybe you've never thrown a punch but in real life, when you're not just watching on TV, instincts take over. Not a big deal IMO
    10 Team Limited Keeper (Keep 8) Points Only
    SALARY CAP (Player Salaries) League
    20 Player Teams = 12 Fwd 6 D 2 G

My team: ???

Dobber Sports Genius

Ok, the play overall was not a good one but there is a reason the NHL isn't looking at supplemental discipline, and why this dissection of the incident in this thread is over reactionary.

1. It was a late hit but not high at all, it was practically a hip check so there was nothing wrong with that part. If McD takes the hit no one gets hurt at all.

2. That was a cross check to the neck. Super friggin dangerous.

3. Slash to the shins. 2mins. Big deal. That happens all the time.

4. The punch. I don't care if McD doesn't fight, "isn't that kind of player". Simmonds is rightfully enraged from taking a cross check to the neck. This was not a full wind up predatory punch, and it's not as if McD was grabbed and pummelled, he took one pop. That does happen often and I don't remember anyone getting more than a roughing on a play like that.

5. Simmonds threw his stick into the middle of the ice, not at the official, get real. Believe it that the officials and the NHL would not let it slide if that was the case.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Ace

I guess I will agree to disagree with most of you on here. I'm actually a little shocked to be honest. It's not as if mcdonagh went to cross check Simmonds. Simmonds went in for a late hit and mcdonagh got his stick up (not saying this was right either).
    In all honesty I didn't watch the game and couldn't see where or what he tossed his stick at but had heard it was towards the officials.

I still don't like what I saw at all and am a little disturbed that the nhl didn't look at this more. Basically what they are saying is that you don't have to follow any rules and it's ok to throw a temper tantrum on the ice. It's embarrassing to see IMO

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Luffy D Monkey View Post
    It wasnt that big of a punch and things like that are happening split-second. When he throws the punch, he doesn't know its going to land that hard, he doesnt know McD is going to drop like a sack of potatoes. It wasn't really a haymaker it was more a jab to the chin.

Maybe you've never thrown a punch but in real life, when you're not just watching on TV, instincts take over. Not a big deal IMO
    what is with this sentiment? twice in this thread now someone wants to excuse Simmonds because its the heat of the moment and he was just reacting. How is that an excuse? You're responsible for your actions..He suckered someone..

Im not saying suspend the guy for 5+ games but im with roenick27, these little temper tantrums Lucic is mostly known for(see kevin connauton sucker punch) are absurd. As a player youre mad you got sticked okay I get it, you cant respond by sucker punching a guy in the jaw. If there's any sign of injury at all, you should be kicked out. You guys are aware of concussions right? Popular subject. A 220 pound man punching you in the jaw when your mouth is open can concuss you.

ps. i love tough hockey. but I cant help but picture Lucic or Simmonds suckering Patty Kane or McDavid cause they felt they got a high stick or a slash. Apparently many of you would be fine with that.
    10 Team Roto Keeper League; 20 Keepers;
    Stats: G,A,Pts,ppg,ppa,pims,+/- ; W,sv%,svs
    C: Seguin, Panarin, Carter
    LW: Benn, Hall, Buchnevich, Coyle, Zucker
    RW: Kane, Simmonds, Stone, Nino, Gallagher
    D: Subban, Doughty, Byfuglien, Jones, Mcdonagh, Fowler
    G: Price, Holtby, Halak, Reimer

Dobber Sports All-Star

After watching the incident I don't feel that Simmonds did anything meriting more than a 2 minute penalty. Mcd gave an incredibly cheap head shot at Simmonds with his stick. Yes, it was a late hit, perhaps a 2 minute penalty, but it did not merit a vicious cross check to the head and neck. Simmonds reaction was hardly even a punch, more of a hard push or grab. I have seen enough sucker punches. That was not a sucker punch. The fact the McD crumpled is the only reason Simmonds got the game misconduct. As for the stick throwing, Simmonds quite obviously upset with the game misconduct threw his stick to the ice. it was clearly not directed at the referee. Not nearly as flagrant as some have made it out to be. Goalies and players have done much worse to their own goal posts on many occasions.
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Dobber Sports Ace

I'm still amazed on how many people keep saying Mac threw a viscious cross check at Simmonds like he went to Simmonds and cross checked him. The fact is Simmonds changed route to throw a really late check at Mac and Mac put his hands/stick up. What was he supposed to do?

Maybe it's me. But I'm not seeing what you guys are seeing.
    I'm not a Rangers fan. I'm not a philly fan. I'm neither a Mac/Simmonds guy (I actually like Simmonds ) so I'm not biased. But to me the late hit is the initial cause. Simmonds actions IMO where embarrassing to the sport. I get he may have been upset, but he can't do any of that stuff. Or at least it can't be tolerated.
    I've always supported the rough stuff. 2 guys squaring off when needed sure. Hard checks. Sure. But the actions IMO from Simmonds are horrendous. And the fact so many people barely feel he should've even received a penalty to me is a really negative sign.
    So many of us have praised the game becoming more skilled, faster, all while the game is eliminating the thuggery. To me supporting this is the complete opposite of the previous statement.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by roenick27 View Post
    I'm still amazed on how many people keep saying Mac threw a viscious cross check at Simmonds like he went to Simmonds and cross checked him. The fact is Simmonds changed route to throw a really late check at Mac and Mac put his hands/stick up. What was he supposed to do?

Maybe it's me. But I'm not seeing what you guys are seeing.
    I'm not a Rangers fan. I'm not a philly fan. I'm neither a Mac/Simmonds guy (I actually like Simmonds ) so I'm not biased. But to me the late hit is the initial cause. Simmonds actions IMO where embarrassing to the sport. I get he may have been upset, but he can't do any of that stuff. Or at least it can't be tolerated.
    I've always supported the rough stuff. 2 guys squaring off when needed sure. Hard checks. Sure. But the actions IMO from Simmonds are horrendous. And the fact so many people barely feel he should've even received a penalty to me is a really negative sign.
    So many of us have praised the game becoming more skilled, faster, all while the game is eliminating the thuggery. To me supporting this is the complete opposite of the previous statement.
    McD should have just absorbed the late hit. It happens multiple times in every game. If the referee's saw fit to give Simmonds a penalty for a late hit. So be it. It should have ended there.

By your logic McD would have been in the right to spear Simmonds in the throat. No. Even if a hit comes a bit late a player does not have the right to intentionally protect himself with a dangerous weapon to the head or neck.
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP

Dobber Sports Veteran

I'm thinking the replay you linked did not really show the cross check, try this one. http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/02/06/...s-cross-check/

And the sucker punch does look worse in the link you had posted. This link is the view I had when watching the game.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by plug View Post
    I'm thinking the replay you linked did not really show the cross check, try this one. http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/02/06/...s-cross-check/

And the sucker punch does look worse in the link you had posted. This link is the view I had when watching the game.
    That angle is better. The cross-check is bad, but the announcers have the same problem some of you do, they think players have the right to dish out there own justice. In a way they do, definitely more so then other sports, but you're still responsible for retaliating.
    I stick by my stance the game misconduct was warranted, McD deserved a major as well tho.
    10 Team Roto Keeper League; 20 Keepers;
    Stats: G,A,Pts,ppg,ppa,pims,+/- ; W,sv%,svs
    C: Seguin, Panarin, Carter
    LW: Benn, Hall, Buchnevich, Coyle, Zucker
    RW: Kane, Simmonds, Stone, Nino, Gallagher
    D: Subban, Doughty, Byfuglien, Jones, Mcdonagh, Fowler
    G: Price, Holtby, Halak, Reimer

Dobber Sports Ace

You're replay was a little more evident about the cross check. Yeah I'll call it they were both wrong. But it doesn't change my view on how Simmonds acted.
    Quote Originally Posted by plug View Post

Dobber Sports Ace

You couldn't be any more wrong. Simmonds was the violator He shouldn't have thrown the late hit. What Mac does I see a lot. Especially games in the past. Telling someone they should absorb a late hit and then I guess hope they don't get hurt is really the worst rationale I've heard of. Basically what you're saying is if someone walks up to you and goes to punch you in the face, you should just absorb the punch and if you are ok then it is ok to hit back. But if you're not, well so be it.

I guess we should agree to disagree on this
    Quote Originally Posted by wonko View Post
    McD should have just absorbed the late hit. It happens multiple times in every game. If the referee's saw fit to give Simmonds a penalty for a late hit. So be it. It should have ended there.

By your logic McD would have been in the right to spear Simmonds in the throat. No. Even if a hit comes a bit late a player does not have the right to intentionally protect himself with a dangerous weapon to the head or neck.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by roenick27 View Post
    You couldn't be any more wrong. Simmonds was the violator He shouldn't have thrown the late hit. What Mac does I see a lot. Especially games in the past. Telling someone they should absorb a late hit and then I guess hope they don't get hurt is really the worst rationale I've heard of. Basically what you're saying is if someone walks up to you and goes to punch you in the face, you should just absorb the punch and if you are ok then it is ok to hit back. But if you're not, well so be it.

I guess we should agree to disagree on this
    Ok. So you are saying a late hockey check is like sucker punching a person in the face while he is walking down the street minding his own business? That is what you are saying right?

Forgive me If I do not agree with this analogy. In fact, I don't think I have ever heard a more inane analogy Roenick.

I think agreeing to disagree is the gentlest way I can extract myself from this conversation.
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP