Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Simmonds/ dirty plays

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Simmonds/ dirty plays

So what are people's thoughts on this (specific play and as a whole) following wideman etc? I didn't watch the game but saw the replay online:
    http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/w...hing-mcdonagh/

From what I can see(and I like Simmonds) :
    1. Simmonds goes at mcdonagh about a day (sarcastic) late up high
    2. Exchange slashes etc
    3. Sucker punch
    4. At the end he tosses his stick etc.

First not a hockey play (and this is where I think conversations need to start). Should've been a penalty but if it stops at # 2 maybe a 2 minute minor is all that happens
    Then #3 happens. Must be a sure suspension
    Then #4 not sure form the replay but did he toss his stick at the ref? I admit I couldn't tell.

Long story short, this crap needs to stop. Do you get more severe with penalizing/fining/suspension from #1? Is that too severe?
    We can't have star players taken out of games like this from just plain silliness

I really like Simmonds but this play was unacceptable and needs to be eliminated from the game. Or does it stay and the Rangers send tanner glass out to take out giroux? Where does it end?

I'm all for playing physical. I'm all for 2 guys squaring off when needed. But gutless plays like this aren't acceptable.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: Simmonds/ dirty plays

From what I saw what Simmonds did was not right, but he should have only got a 2 minute minor. McD landed one of the most viscous cross checks to the head I've ever seen... He is the one who should have got the match penalty. I think the refs messed this one up bad. Not a fan of either team.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by plug View Post
    From what I saw what Simmonds did was not right, but he should have only got a 2 minute minor. McD landed one of the most viscous cross checks to the head I've ever seen... He is the one who should have got the match penalty. I think the refs messed this one up bad. Not a fan of either team.
    I'm not condoning a cross check but the issue is that when Simmonds goes to hit mcdonagh it's not even close to a hockey play. The puck isn't anywhere even close to them anymore.

Im not a fan of either team, but that's not acceptable. Not the late hit. Not the sucker punch. Not the stick tossing.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Have you seen the cross check? Things like that could paralyze someone, way more dirty than what Simmonds did.

Dobber Sports Ace

I saw it in the replay. I'm not saying that's ok, but why was Simmonds going to hit him? My point is they both acted wrong afterwards but Simmonds was the cause and root of the problem.

I think you're also going a little overboard in the cross check. I've seen those a bunch of times. Again not condoning it, but throwing a sucker punch Can be just as dangerous as the cross check.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by roenick27 View Post
    I saw it in the replay. I'm not saying that's ok, but why was Simmonds going to hit him? My point is they both acted wrong afterwards but Simmonds was the cause and root of the problem.

I think you're also going a little overboard in the cross check. I've seen those a bunch of times. Again not condoning it, but throwing a sucker punch Can be just as dangerous as the cross check.
    I'll agree with you on that. Both were wrong in what they did. I just hate the stickwork so much more and felt it was worse, but I understand and see your opinion.

Dobber Sports Ace

I'll agree with you on that. Both were wrong in what they did. I just hate the stickwork so much more and felt it was worse, but I understand and see your opinion.

Fair enough. I hate stickwork as well. With the late hit I'd much rather see Mac take his number down and hit him clean and hard later or challenge him (or have another ranger do that) compared to a cross check. But I think the nhl has to crack down on this stuff and stop the source (as we can see the escalation of said act) If that was raffi Torres in place of Simmonds, it would be thought of differently (and to an extent, rightfully so).

Dobber Sports Initiate

Ridiculous call against Simmonds. An after the fact altercation like that happens all the time in hockey. They slash mouth off and throw a few punches. A minor penalty at best there.

Awful that McDonough got hurt on the play but cm on he was facing Simmonds and Simmons threw a punch at him. Happens 100 times a game in the scrums in front of the goalie

Dobber Sports Sage

I just picked up Simmonds too :/
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Ace

I disagree with yu on a number of your points. 1st they didn't throw punches, Simmonds did. 2nd it was one punch thrown. Regardless, I think you're missing my main point. The punch isn't ok, but I agree to an extent that punches happen in scrums and this just happened to result in an injury. But this wasn't a "scrum" punch. IMO it was a sucker punch from a tougher player against a player that doesn't play that way. THat can't happen.
    2nd and IMO my main point is the original hit. He goes to hit Mac high and ridiculously late. That's not a hockey play whatsoever. And as we see, look at what that lead to. Hitting someone that late is a dangerous play because here is no way they think a hit could possibly be coming. That is dirty and really is what needs to be looked at IMO.
    3rd if Simmonds threw his stick at the ref (and that's what appears to have happened) is really bad, especially following the wideman issue.

IMO Simmonds committed 3 "non hockey" plays here and that is bad. It needs to stop.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidgoodburn View Post
    Ridiculous call against Simmonds. An after the fact altercation like that happens all the time in hockey. They slash mouth off and throw a few punches. A minor penalty at best there.

Awful that McDonough got hurt on the play but cm on he was facing Simmonds and Simmons threw a punch at him. Happens 100 times a game in the scrums in front of the goalie

Dobber Sports Padawan

Who are we discussing this nonsense?

Obviously emotions are involved in the play.

I am sure if you are playing and emotions were involved you may act in a certain way.

Easy to sit here and type on your keyboard.
    20 Team Full Keeper (32 man Roster) Points only
    Start 12F 6D 1G

F- Skinner, Nyquist, Koivu, Carter,TJohnson, Kopitar, Tarasenko, Okposo, Williams, Kessel, Voracek, Wheeler, Galchenyuk, Lee

D-Vatanen, Bogosian, J Schultz, MacDonald, Demers, Muzzin, Stone, Edler

G- Halak, C.Anderson, Mason

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    I just picked up Simmonds too :/
    I just landed him in a trade for Yakupov last night. Damn.

I agree that neither guy, Simmonds or McDonagh, was more wrong than the other until Simmonds threw his stick. If that was at an official, than he has to face a suspension of some sort (and again, I just friggin well picked him up). Regardless of whether he hit the official or not is irrelevant.

As for what transpired between him and McDonagh, they both could have gotten tossed, but not one without the other. Terribly one-sided call in my opinion.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyrug View Post
    Who are we discussing this nonsense?

Obviously emotions are involved in the play.

I am sure if you are playing and emotions were involved you may act in a certain way.

Easy to sit here and type on your keyboard.
    but...its a message board. this is why we are here..

Quote Originally Posted by davidgoodburn View Post

what? 2 handed slashes and straight hooks to the jaw happen all the time? are you mistaking the NHL with the LNAH perhaps?

Have you seen the cross check? Things like that could paralyze someone, way more dirty than what Simmonds did.
    The point roenick27 was making is the crosscheck happened during the play, Simmonds comes in for a hit, McDonagh gets his hands up, not legal, but in essence a hockey play, 1 that truly happens all the time, unlike sucker punches. What Simmonds does is for no purpose but to injure, not a hockey play at all, just a guy throwing a tantrum.
    10 Team Roto Keeper League; 20 Keepers;
    Stats: G,A,Pts,ppg,ppa,pims,+/- ; W,sv%,svs
    C: Seguin, Panarin, Carter
    LW: Benn, Hall, Buchnevich, Coyle, Zucker
    RW: Kane, Simmonds, Stone, Nino, Gallagher
    D: Subban, Doughty, Byfuglien, Jones, Mcdonagh, Fowler
    G: Price, Holtby, Halak, Reimer

Dobber Sports Ace

My biggest point on this is that mcdonagh acted in a hockey play (penalty sure) rtf but it was in reaction to Simmonds. Everything Simmonds did was on his own.
    The biggest issue I have with this play is the hit that Simmonds threw. He came in for a check ridiculously late and even made a point to change his route to throw a check. That's dangerous. That's how guys get hurt.
    Secondly. Hit happens. Mcdonagh gets a cross check etc on Simmonds. They are both ok. A few slashes etc. still no penalties called by the way. Then Simmonds sucker punches mcdonagh. It's a sucker punch to a player that doesn't fight. He's not expecting to get punched. Not like that. Simmonds knew what he was doing, picked his spot, and obviously intended to injure. I understand Simmonds plays on the edge and he's a tough guy. A good team guy. But he can't do that. What if mcdonagh was Crosby or seguin or Kane. Can the nhl allow they're superstar faces to be bullied, sucker punched etc? They just can't. And this is coming from a guy that likes Simmonds. He brings a lot to his team. And I'm sure he's not a bad guy but emotions got the best of him. Regardless, people thinking what he did is ok must feel it's ok to slew foot, kick someone. It's just not ok.
    Thirdly, he throws a stick at the ref? That's ridiculous. But it's beyond ridiculous a week or so removed from the wideman incident.

If Simmonds doesn't go to throw the hit late, or he is penalized there, none of this likely happens. Even if Mac got a minor (cross check)and Simmonds a double minor (at minimum a charge and roughing/slashing etc----I think a hit like he tried needs to be looked at and eliminated---that's a whole other thread but I think a major game and a suspension/fine needs to be handed out on late hits --and this one wasn't gray. It was an hour late). Then the sucker punch, stick toss never happens. So the refs need to be watched /coached etc for this stuff, but Simmonds went way overboard

Dobber Sports Veteran

Trying to take someone's head off with a weapon is not a hockey play.