Thread: Goalie Suggestions Welcome!

Dobber Sports Recruit

Default Goalie Suggestions Welcome!

I'm currently sitting at 8-6-1 in my league. I stopped paying attention for a few weeks, but now that football is over, I am back into fantasy hockey. This is the first year of our keeper league. I decided at the time of the draft that I would try something new. I picked 8 of the 15 stats and decided I'll try to win those and maybe win a fluke GWG or SHP category every now and then. Typically, I don't like getting help for fantasy, but I figured why not?

There are a few options at goalie available in my league: Korpisalo, Grubauer, Vasilevskiy, Gustavsson, Ullmark, Darling, Enroth, among others.

Goalies are a premium in my league as there are 16 teams fighting to get 3 starts per week. I was smart and grabbed Price and Fleury with my first two picks and picked up Mrazek late. I'm planning on keeping those three going into next year. I wouldn't mind picking up another goalie to bring into next year. So if you have any tips for that, I'd love to hear them! If I pick up another goalie worth keeping or swing a trade, I'll move Backes, Byfuglien, or Simmonds for a first round pick next year, seeing as 80 players will be kept from last year, I shouldn't have trouble getting a first.

Oh and this is my first post on here, so please go easy on me if I'm not following typical etiquette!

Cheers!
    H2H 16 Team League - 5 Man Keeper

2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2Utility, 2Goalies, 4Bench, 1IR

Scorer Stats: G A +/- PIM PPP SHP GWG SOG HIT BLK
    Goalie Stats: W GAA SV SV% SHO

Backes, Rinaldo, Simmonds, Ladd, McLeod
    Alzner, Russell, De Haan, Larsson, Borowiecki, Gudas, Boychuk
    Price (IR), Fleury, Mrazek, Niemi, Neuvirth, Greiss, Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: Goalie Suggestions Welcome!

Welcome to the boards!

Of the options you listed, only Vasilevsky has much keeper pizazz. But he wont be really valuable until Bishop is out of the way. Tampa would need to trade Bishop away for Vas to be a keeper. So I dont think that any of those options are guaranteed to have much value to you. Ina limited Keep 5 format you will be hanging onto Price and Fleury.

Dobber Sports Ace

3 starts per week isn't that hard to satisfy in a 16-team league... from looking at your signature I feel like you're carrying too many goaltenders. Especially considering 2 of your goalie stats are percentages. I would honestly look to keep a guy like Byfuglien, and even drop a couple of the marginal goalie you're carrying to pick up more skaters to rotate into your lineup.

Administrator

Welcome! If I were in your shoes I think I would pick up Vasilevski. He won't get that many starts, but out of all the goalies you listed, he is the one that has the most trade value, so you can always include him in trade discussions later in the season if need be.
    Dobbernomics.com | Twitter @dobbernomics
    FantasyHockeyGeek.com | Twitter @FantasyHockeyGk

G(2), A(1), +-(1), PIM(0.25), PPP(2), SHP(3), HITS(0.1), BS(0.1), W(5), L(-2), SV(0.2), GA(-1), SO(5)

Dobber Sports Icon

If you are going to pick up a G then Vasilevsky is the one that jumps out.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by kbro View Post
    3 starts per week isn't that hard to satisfy in a 16-team league... from looking at your signature I feel like you're carrying too many goaltenders. Especially considering 2 of your goalie stats are percentages. I would honestly look to keep a guy like Byfuglien, and even drop a couple of the marginal goalie you're carrying to pick up more skaters to rotate into your lineup.

I do agree that if you pick up a goalie Vaz is the guy, but given the parameters of your league, I totally agree with kbro.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Wow... that's crazy that you are executing that strategy! I love it!
    I've long posted that a team can win H2H by simply dominating half-stats... even at 8-6-1, this is a team that could win half+ in playoffs.
    I'm just wondering how many teams in your league are smart-to your strategy.

The reason I say this is that your enforcer goons can probably be dropped if they are in excess.
    I doubt you'll run up against another Team-GOON, but I would worry that some other team has a mass of goalies to challenge you.

For that reason, I'd probably like to see you get any decent goalie who is still out there (Vas) and run short a skater.
    You can always re-roster that skater for H2H playoffs, because the waiver-wire will be chock full of goons at any given time.

Welcome to the forums!
    (and impressive strategy!!!)

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Vasilevskiy is definitely the best player out of that bunch of goalies and has the most potential as well.

Ummm....you have to start 6 forwards and you only have 5 on the roster?

Unless you have Buff running double duty, I would recommend dropping a goalie (or 3) and filling out the skater ranks a bit.
    12 Team Custom Contract Keeper - ESPN H2H - $290 cap for 15-16 (Year 2)
    G,A,+/-,PIM,SOG,HIT,BLK,STP,W,GAA,S%
    3 C,LW,RW, 5 D, 2 UTIL, 2 G, 7 Bench, 2 IR

C: Stamkos,Johansen,Stastny,Ribeiro
    L: Ovechkin,Marchand,Komarov,Galchenyuk,Burakovsky
    R: Kessel,Ryan,Abdelkader,Jenner
    D: Shattenkirk,Letang,Ekblad,McDonagh,Hamilton,Borowi ecki,Carlson,Alzner,Orpik
    G: Holtby,Rask,Korpisalo
    IR: Bobrovsky

Minors: Meier,Crouse,Fiala,Bracco,Virtanen

Dead money: $11.50 | 2016 Cap Hit: $273.50

Dobber Sports Recruit

Thank you for the advice! I appreciate all of the comments. I went ahead and dropped Montoya in favour of Vasilevskiy. I received a trade offer last night to swap Big Buff for Niemi. I accepted it right away. This leaves me with Niemi, Mrazek, Price, and Fleury as keepers with the option to keep Simmonds or Backes for next year. I may look to try and package Niemi and Backes for an elite goaltender. Goalies in our league have an insane trade value. There is one guy that is stuck with Howard and Miller, poor guy!

I'm thinking about dropping Greiss for a bruiser to fill in my RW spot. I believe Dorsett and Neil are available.

Does Neuvirth hold any value? Should I try to package him up in a deal. He seems to be the 1B option in Philadelphia, yet he has much better stats than Mason.
    H2H 16 Team League - 5 Man Keeper

2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2Utility, 2Goalies, 4Bench, 1IR

Scorer Stats: G A +/- PIM PPP SHP GWG SOG HIT BLK
    Goalie Stats: W GAA SV SV% SHO

Backes, Rinaldo, Simmonds, Ladd, McLeod
    Alzner, Russell, De Haan, Larsson, Borowiecki, Gudas, Boychuk
    Price (IR), Fleury, Mrazek, Niemi, Neuvirth, Greiss, Vasilevskiy