Thread: Move Bob for Jones?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Move Bob for Jones?

Since his golden Vezina season all Bob's proved is that he's a BAB as much as he's a 2nd half surger. But current and 3rd injury threatens his 2nd half.

Am I better or worse replacing Bob with Jones as my 3rd G behind Crawford and Rinne long term? (Elliott is merely a stop gap for this 2nd half)

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: Move Bob for Jones?

I would take Jones over Bob at this point as I don't think Bobrovsky has a full season in him anymore. Complete BAB.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by The Bottlenecker View Post
    I would take Jones over Bob at this point as I don't think Bobrovsky has a full season in him anymore. Complete BAB.
    Yeah... Thats what I'm thinking. WHICH SUCKS!!! Cause I love when goalie Bob is on. But is BAB tendencies coupled with the fact I fear this team too a step back with the loss of Johansson... Not sure he's top 10 material anymore.

Dobber Sports Sage

I traded for Jones in the first week of the season and it is probably my best move of the year. Do likewise.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Glatt View Post
    I traded for Jones in the first week of the season and it is probably my best move of the year. Do likewise.
    I thank you again!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Bottlenecker View Post
    Thanks Necker! I think I agree

Dobber Sports Initiate

I actually tried this but was unsuccessful.
    H2H Yahoo 20 team limited keeper. Keep 5, F, F, D, G and F or D
    Start 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 5D, 3UTI, 2G. 4 bench slots.
    Stats: G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPG, PPA, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HTS, BLK
    GS, W, L, GAA, SA, SV%, SHO

Draisatl, Voracek, Kucherov, Karlsson, Andersen

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I'm coming to the realization that he may not be of much use to me anymore, looking for bottom feeders with open IR slots to pawn him off on.

Poor Bob.
    12 Team Custom Contract Keeper - ESPN H2H - $290 cap for 15-16 (Year 2)
    G,A,+/-,PIM,SOG,HIT,BLK,STP,W,GAA,S%
    3 C,LW,RW, 5 D, 2 UTIL, 2 G, 7 Bench, 2 IR

C: Stamkos,Johansen,Stastny,Ribeiro
    L: Ovechkin,Marchand,Komarov,Galchenyuk,Burakovsky
    R: Kessel,Ryan,Abdelkader,Jenner
    D: Shattenkirk,Letang,Ekblad,McDonagh,Hamilton,Borowi ecki,Carlson,Alzner,Orpik
    G: Holtby,Rask,Korpisalo
    IR: Bobrovsky

Minors: Meier,Crouse,Fiala,Bracco,Virtanen

Dead money: $11.50 | 2016 Cap Hit: $273.50

Dobber Sports Sophomore

As a Jones owner, I actually tried to trade him for Bob earlier in the season. Bob owner point blank refused. Who's laughing now?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Bobrovksy under the microscope:

Sv Pt: Average .918 // Worst .899 // Best .932 (all from seasons of 20+ games)
    Games played: 38/48, 58/82, 51/82 (Last three full seasons with CLB)

Notes: Bobrovsky has not posted a SV% worse than .918 with CLB, but his GAA has ranged from 2.00 to 2.69.

A look at Jones:

This year with Sharks: .915 SV % and 2.39 GAA. Other seasons have been fewer than 20 games and have fluctuated from .906 SV% to .934 SV% (with the Kings)

Other Considerations:

Shots against (since your league counts that): CLB 30.8 per game // SJS 27.9 per game. I would say overall that is a benefit for Bob, since even though fewer shots leads to more shutouts, I would say Bob faces 15 more shots well before Jones earns a marginal shutout.

Verdict: Bobrovsky has more upside and more track record as a bona fide starter than Jones. CLB has been way worse than pre-season expectations, and this is Bob's worst injury season yet. I would just caution that you're selling Bob at basically his rock bottom value at this point. Looking at the fit you need for your team - as your 3rd goalie, you would probably be better off with a guy with higher quality starts, even if there are fewer of them. In that sense, Bob's injury record (as long as he misses a more typical ~15 games) still makes him a reasonable fit for your needs.
    10-Team, Custom Keeper. In this league GMs sign their own contracts at an auction for a specified price and term up to 4 years.

G(3) A(2.5) +/- (0.5) SOG(0.1) FOW/FOL (0.05) HTS(0.1) BKS (0.1)

2C - McDavid, Pettersson, Barkov, Kopitar,
    2RW - Lindholm, Perron, Reinhart, Killorn
    2LW - Draisaitl, Svechnikov, Schenn
    3FWD From above FWDs
    6D - Karlsson, Dahlin, Gustafsson, Theodore, Edler
    2G - Varlamov, Greisss, Murray, Mrazek

IR - Hamilton

6FARM - Kakko, Mittelstadt, Francouz, Borgstrom

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by JAMZ View Post
    Bobrovksy under the microscope:

Sv Pt: Average .918 // Worst .899 // Best .932 (all from seasons of 20+ games)
    Games played: 38/48, 58/82, 51/82 (Last three full seasons with CLB)

Notes: Bobrovsky has not posted a SV% worse than .918 with CLB, but his GAA has ranged from 2.00 to 2.69.

A look at Jones:

This year with Sharks: .915 SV % and 2.39 GAA. Other seasons have been fewer than 20 games and have fluctuated from .906 SV% to .934 SV% (with the Kings)

Other Considerations:

Shots against (since your league counts that): CLB 30.8 per game // SJS 27.9 per game. I would say overall that is a benefit for Bob, since even though fewer shots leads to more shutouts, I would say Bob faces 15 more shots well before Jones earns a marginal shutout.

Verdict: Bobrovsky has more upside and more track record as a bona fide starter than Jones. CLB has been way worse than pre-season expectations, and this is Bob's worst injury season yet. I would just caution that you're selling Bob at basically his rock bottom value at this point. Looking at the fit you need for your team - as your 3rd goalie, you would probably be better off with a guy with higher quality starts, even if there are fewer of them. In that sense, Bob's injury record (as long as he misses a more typical ~15 games) still makes him a reasonable fit for your needs.
    This is great analysis Jamz. Thanks for being devil's advocate.

In all honestly, this Is just 1/3 the pieces of a bigger deal which is still in negotiations (Stamkos/Ekblad/Jones for Perry/Carlson/Bob). not 100% sure how the additions balance this deal out. Not necessarily looking to WIN the deal, just looking at a reasonable shake up in a balanced trade with upside (Stamkos returning to Stamkos form...Jones continuing to round into form as a starter)... as I fear Ekblad never catches or at best, does eventually catch Carlson, and Bob comes back to be a Healthy Vezina candidate again. (pretty sure I like Stamkos over Perry all things considered).

Thanks all. Talks continue.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I went into the season with Bob as a keeper. I don't give up on guys easily, but after this most recent injury and the sad state of the Jackets, I can't be bothered anymore. I've since snagged Elliott, Allen, and Andersen off waivers at different times and will roll with that. Bob is awesome when he's on, but he is so risky at this point I think you did the right thing.
    10-team H2H points keeper league, keep 4
    G: 2, A: 2, SOG: 0.15, Hit: 0.15, Block: 0.15, W: 3.5, Sv: 0.025, SO: 6
    7 F, 3 D, 1 G

2022-2023 Roster:
    F: Connor McDavid, Steven Stamkos, Artemi Panarin, Jack Hughes, Mark Stone, Josh Norris, Tyler Bertuzzi, PL Dubois, Sam Bennett, Tom Wilson (IR)
    D: Kris Letang, Drew Doughty, Brent Burns, Shayne Gostisbehere
    G: Ilya Sorokin, Thatcher Demko