Thread: Keep 4 to 7

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Keep 4 to 7

In my baseball league we have the option of keeping a minimum of 4, maximum of 7. I'm almost positive (99.9999999%) I will be keeping all 7.

Categories are: R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OPS, W, K, ERA, WHIP, QS, Net Saves

Here's how I see it. The players under each individual heading are in no order. (Eg. Of the long shots, Stroman would be closest to being considered in my opinion)

Locks:
    Mike Trout
    Manny Machado
    Josh Donaldson
    Jose Altuve

Candidates:
    Xander Bogaerts
    Mookie Betts
    Edwin Encarnacion
    Jose Fernandez
    Noah Syndergaard

Long Shots:
    Byron Buxton
    Gregory Polanco
    Marcus Stroman
    Yu Darvish
    Brandon Crawford

Thoughts?

2010, 2014, & 2024 WJC Pool Champion, 2020 Runner-Up

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Keep 4 to 7

Is there any reason you would not keep all 7? Just wondering what could be gained by not keeping someone.
    Tough not to keep EE in a contract year with the lineup he is in. Fernandez I would drop down a little just because of his health. No knock against his production, he has been lights out when active, but I would rather a season of Stroman/Syndergaard than 2.5 months of Fernandez + waiver replacement. With that. After EE at 5, I would go with Syndergaard, Betts, Stroman, Bogaerts.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Initiate

The only reason is that I'd get an earlier pick. So if I only keep 5 I draft in round 6, but if I keep 7 I start in Round 8. I think my players I'd be keeping are all better than round 5 and later talent though.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Mike Trout
    Manny Machado
    Josh Donaldson
    Jose Altuve
    Mookie Betts
    Jose Fernandez
    Noah Syndergaard
    12 Team Roto Keeper
    G A +/- SOG PPP FOW HITS BLKS PIM
    W GA GAA SV SA SV% SHO
    10 Keepers
    F- Kopitar Kesler Thornton Benn Draisital Pacioretty Kuznetsov Backes D.Sedin Ryan Burakovsky
    D- Subban Faulk Byfuglien DeHann Martinez Trouba
    G- Halak Dubnyk Talbot
    BN- Bjugstad Dubinsky Ryan Gudas Tanev Hanzal Marleau

12 Team H2H
    B- H/AB R H HR RBI SB K TB AVG OBP
    P - IP W HLD SV K ERA WHIP K/9

B: Hosmer Donaldson Correa Trout Harper Heyward Sano Weiters Duffy Pillar Incarte Hernandez Realmuto Peraza Alvarez Span
    P: Cole Sale Fernandez Cueto Hamels Robertson Giles Wilson Colome Watson Samardzija Bauer Knebel
    F: Turner Travis Margot Stephenson Gouirrel Jr

Dobber Sports Titan

I definitely agree with keeping 7 then. You have quite the selection of players better than your average talent in those rounds. Just to counter Dingy's point, I am more inclined to go with a proven bat like EE instead of a pitcher just due to the fluctuation from year to year. It is a lot easier to find a late round gem in a pitcher than a batter.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Novice

+1 on this

Mike Trout
    Manny Machado
    Josh Donaldson
    Jose Altuve
    Mookie Betts
    Jose Fernandez
    Noah Syndergaard
    Standard 12 team Yahoo Roto: (G), (A), (+/-), (PIM), (PPP), (SOG), (W), (GAA), (SV%), (SHO)
    Team 1
    C: Malkin(RW), Backes(RW)
    LW: Landeskog, Doan(RW)
    RW: Tarasenko, Okposo
    D: Shattenkirk,Faulk,Brody,Hamilton
    B: Abdelkader(RW)
    G: Fleury,Gibson,Anderson,Hellebuyck,Howard
    IR: McDavid(C)
    Team 2
    C: Tavares, Duchene(LW)
    LW: Cammelleri(C), Larkin(C)
    RW: Sharp(C)(RW), Backes(C)
    D: Subban, Phaneuf,Doughty,Giordano
    B: Hartnell(LW)
    G: Bishop,Hellebuyck,Gibson,Anderson,Reimer
    IR: Halak

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I definitely agree you need to keep 7 and your Locks are just that. I would also agree with the others that Syndergaard and Fernandez make 6. That leaves you the question of the final pick. That pick would depend on your specific needs and desire. Betts and Bogaerts are very good young players that you will have for years to come and give you stats in most of your offensive scoring categories. Encarnarcion offers you elite power that neither Betts or Bogaerts will reach for many years if not ever, but they give you more SB and probably higher batting averages. Bogaerts plays at a premium position that may make him more valuable as he continues to grow into one of the top SS in Fantasy. Although this season Bogaerts may give you the least stats of any of the other players this season, longer term keeper may be worth it as would Betts, but there are many OF's who can give you 15-20 HR and 20-25 SB's. The question is were those others also keepers on their rosters. My gut says either Betts or Bogaerts over Encarnarcion and maybe a slight nod to Bogaerts due to the SS scarcity.
    Former Dobber Baseball Writer/Contributor - Top 150 Hitters, Top 100 SP and Top 50 RP Rankings.

Main Roster:
    C: Robert Thomas, Ryan O'Reilly, Casey Mittlestaddt, Vincent Trockhek, Dylan Strome, Brock Nelson, Troy Terry, Colin White
    RW: Nikita Kucherov, Sam Reinhart, Vladimir Tarasenko, Mats Zucarello,
    LW: Jason Robertson, Nikolaj Ehlers, Max Comtois, Zach Hyman, Christian Dvorak, James VanRiemsdyk, Andrew Mangiapane
    D: Erik Karlsson, Shea Theodore, John Klingberg, Travis Sanheim, Mike Reilly
    G: Carey Price, Juuse Saros, Elvis Merzlikins, Petr Mrazek

Dobber Sports Veteran

Definitely be keeping Xander Bogaerts, Mookie Betts, Jose Fernandez

After that, you are set. You can draft another couple OF bats, or go OF bat, Pitcher. Either way, your team will look very very good.
    Twitter: @jasonang00

Dobber Sports Titan

So you’re keeping 2 3B? I know this won’t be a popular choice, but trade Donaldson. See if you can couple together Donaldson and someone for Stanton. With K’s not being a category he’s a great add.

But if moving a player isn’t what you’ll do (Donaldson will get you a lot more of a return than Mach because of last yrs season obviously), I’d keep:
    Trout, Donaldson, Mach, Altuve.
    EE, Noah Synd, and maybe Mookie. Depends on what other teams will be letting go to the re-draft.

My choices may not be popular, but I think you need to move one of your 3B to make it easier to draft.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Initiate

Good ideas, everyone. Thanks for your help. It's a good problem to have! I thought we kept everyone, so I went with a bit of a youth movement/take a hit for year one to be good for the future but it turns out we are limited in our keepers. Thanks again.