Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Chip Kelly hired by 49ers

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Chip Kelly hired by 49ers

I actually think this is a good signing for the 49ers. I cant understand why people think he is not a good coach.. he may very well be a bad GM but coach??

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by GinFizz View Post
    I actually think this is a good signing for the 49ers. I cant understand why people think he is not a good coach.. he may very well be a bad GM but coach??
    I'm sure there are others, but:

--Because he fails to get the best out of his players.

--Because there's evidence that he's not all that adept at keeping the locker room harmonious and unified.

--Because he's horrible at (we'll see if it's incapable of) adapting his approach to fit the situation at hand.

For example, he's shown repeatedly that he either does not have, or refuses to use, a two-minute offense when game script clearly dictates that as the prudent course. By opting instead to adhere to his blind insistence that a play be run every 20 or so seconds and failing to properly use the clock near the end of a half, it's not unusual for him to put his team in a position where a 3 and out (or very short drives even if a first down was gained) allows the other team to gain possession with ample time left to put additional points on the board. I can't recall how many times I've seen him completely mangle clock management near the end of a half, but week 16 against Washington is the most recent example.

Successful head coaching can't be all about offense to the detriment of everything else. I do agree that he's better than what the Niners had previously, but that's not saying an awful lot.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar/Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand
    D: Dobson/Trouba/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Edvinsson/York
    G: Saros/Demko/Askarov

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by dejeanneret View Post
    I'm sure there are others, but:

--Because he fails to get the best out of his players.

--Because there's evidence that he's not all that adept at keeping the locker room harmonious and unified.
    He made Mark Sanchez and Nick Foles into 10 game winners..
    I feel that players quitting on their coach says more about the player than the coach.

Maine Moose 2021-2022

Dobber Sports Pro

People don't think he's a good coach because he simply hasn't proved that he is. Coaching in the NFL and coaching in the NCAA are completely different. You can't even cite his NCAA success when evaluating him now. It's funny that I can draw this hockey connection here--- but a few days ago an ex-coach was on NHL Network and they asked him why success coaching juniors doesn't translate to success coaching in the NHL. I love how he responded:

"When you're coaching kids and you tell them to 'jump' they eagerly say 'how high?'... when you're coaching adults who make millions of dollars to play, you tell them to 'jump' and they look at you and say 'why' "

Chip Kelly clearly does not know how to coach in the NFL. He never had the pulse of his team whatsoever and it showed. His ego is too big and it doesn't work with the big personalities he's coaching. His players disrespect him and he disrespects them and that just does not work.

I also want to reiterate that Chip Kelly was NEVER the Eagles GM. He made all of those moves as a coach. He demands personnel control over teams he coaches. He'll likely try to retool the 49ers as he sees fit, as well. Just another reason why he sucks and doesn't belong coaching in the league.

Dobber Sports Stud

He has been a coach for only 3 yrs.... 10-6; 10-6 ; 6-9. 26-21 is his record...

there have been plenty of coaches that can tell their star player to "jump". If you didnt jump for Bill Parcells you were cut..............
    There are some people on his team that respect the hell out of him.. stop reading Bleacher Report...

Maine Moose 2021-2022

Dobber Sports Pro

He has been a coach for only 3 yrs.... 10-6; 10-6 ; 6-9. 26-21 is his record...

there have been plenty of coaches that can tell their star player to "jump". If you didnt jump for Bill Parcells you were cut..............
    There are some people on his team that respect the hell out of him.. stop reading Bleacher Report...
    I don't read Bleacher Report, but thanks for the snarky jab. +1 to you. Credibility Confirmed.

If you think Chip Kelly is considered a good coach by today's NFL's standards and had his player's respect, you must not follow football too closely. I'm sure when you have a team of 50+ guys, some of them will respect you... but it's quite clear that the important ones did not. Plus, I think what makes him a bad coach is how he feels that he can't be successful if he doesn't control the team personnel. What the heck does that say? I really hope the 49ers do not give him the same power he had in Philly.

Considering Bill Parcells has gone down as arguably the best NFL coach in history, well yea, his players jumped when he told them to. That's what made him great. Do you even know what Chip Kelly's system is? If you do, how on earth can you advocate it? It's a freakin joke. He runs his teams like an NCAA video game from 2006. Why do you think Demarco Murray went from the league rushing leader to one of the worst starting backs in football? 100% due to the system he was playing in. When you bring in a star and pay him 50 million bucks, you better be coaching him the way that works. Chip Kelly thinks he is right all of the time and has 0 accountability for the shit product he put on the field this year.