Thread: New Scoring Cat Proposition

FantaSteve

Default New Scoring Cat Proposition

There\'s been some debate in my league about the relevance of the GWG category. I feel there is merit to this cat, but I understand the random nature and impossibility to strategize around it.

I\'ve put some thought into it, and come up with a new category that would replace GWG and make it better. This is obviously just an academic exercise because I doubt any league engine will change...

New Cat: Game Changing Goals (GCG)

Counts:
    - goals scored in the last 5 minutes of regulation
    - goals scored in overtime
    - goals scored in OT-shootout

This would make GCG goals less rare, and I think a better reflection of a players\' contribution to the game. This would negate a GWG that is scored halfway through the third, and would increase the opportunity for more than one GCG per game.

Your thoughts? Can you think of a category you\'d like to see?

Dobber Sports Ninja

Wouldn\'t empty net goals be a huge factor in this?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I don\'t agree totally that GWG is random and impossible to strategize around. But I also recognize they normally come from regular high scoring guys (Roenick would be an exception last year).

I think your idea has merit but the first one will in many instances not constitute game changing goals - empty netters would could and they really aren\'t that game changing - a goal scorer by the losing team to make the score 6-3 is hardly game changing or padding the score in the last 5 minutes to win 7-2 isn\'t game changing.

Overtime goals feels similar to GWG but they are maybe a little more clutch but probably random as well.

Shootout goals would be a category you could measure that you can strategize around - J Lehtinen would be a guy you might recruit. You would have lots of shootout goals to record - certainly not all of them gamewinners.

I would keep GWG.

Dobber Sports Master

Interesting concept but with empty net goals in the last 5 mins the numbers will be wonky.

I hope yahoo starts to count shootout goals in the near future
    30 GM Commish Dynasty
    G A +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV
    Start: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Utl, 1G
    C:Savard,Filpulla,Arnott,Ott,Boyd,Weight,Rupp
    LW:Heatley,Morrow,Sullivan,Tambellini,Bissonnette, Pierro-Zabotel
    RW: Hemsky,Backes,Orr,Tikhonov,Artyukhin,Ortmeyer
    D:EJ,Ehrhoff,Hjalmarsson,Babchuk,Commodore
    G: M.A.Fleury,Deslauriers,Koskinen,Monnino

Dobber Sports Initiate

I think that GWGs work really well in a points league, where they can act as a sort of bonus on top of the goal scored. In category leagues what you\'re trying to do is reward clutch play, but being clutch is very hard to quantify. It\'s an interesting idea though.

Dobber Sports Ace

strider2k2 wrote:
    I think that GWGs work really well in a points league, where they can act as a sort of bonus on top of the goal scored. In category leagues what you\'re trying to do is reward clutch play, but being clutch is very hard to quantify. It\'s an interesting idea though.
    That\'s the goal of GWG it makes the stars generally worth a little more statwise than other guys, also seperates goal scorers from set up guys.

I always have problems with arguements trying to justify the \"value\" of fantasy stat categories, you never hear anyone saying that empty net goals shouldn\'t count, or that golaie assists are a true indicator of a goalies worth.

Let\'s face it fantasy stats are about guys figuring out systems to win against othet guys that do less research.
    14 team keeper league (keep 15 plus 3 prospects)
    19 active, 8 bench, 2 prospects less than 40 NHL games. Play h2h with postions 3c, 3lw, 3rw, (3 felx forwards) 5d, 2g

C-E.Stall, Plekanac,Thorton, Turris, Little
    LW_Elias, Heatley (RW), Pacioretty
    RW-Erat
    D-Keith, Yandle, OEL, Giordano
    G- Rinne, Nabakov

(Farm) Beau Bennett, Jaden Schwartz

Follow me on Twitter @HardyintheWack

(draft in process)