Thread: Time to cut bait on Vrbata?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Time to cut bait on Vrbata?

This is not for the league in my signature.

I've been keeping Vrbata on my roster because of the elite shot totals, the PPPs, and the potential for better point production. He's picked it up lately (6 points in 7 games, 4 PPPs), but his PP time is getting pretty erratic... and his TOI has dropped. His +/- is killing me too.

I have Larkin marinating on my farm team. I've been hesitant to make the switch because cutting Vrbata means being hung with $2.25 of his salary, and he provides more shots and PPPs than Larkin does. However Larkin is on fire, and starting to shoot more. His +/- is stellar, and I have to think that some better PP opportunities could soon follow.

Despite being stuck with the salary penalty for cutting Vrbata, I'd still be clearing over $1 million in salary cap room by replacing him with Larkin (entry level deal).

It should also be noted that I'm currently one of the top teams in the league, both statistically and in overall record. Shot totals are one of the best. Plus-minus has been very bad. PPPs are about league average.

So I'm looking for some thoughtful analysis of the situation, not just "Larkin is awesome, make the move!" Do I gain enough from Larkin, to make up for possibly losing on the shots and PPPs? Any signs that Vrbata is due for some positive regression?
    16 Team Keeper League. Head-to-Head. Daily moves. Keep 10. Roster 20. Keepers in Bold
    Positions: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 2F, 5D, 1Skt, 2G, 4 Bench
    Skaters: G, A, PPP, PIM, SOG, HITS, BLKS, FOW Goalies: W, GAA, SV%

C: MacKinnon, Couturier, Eriksson Ek, McCann (LW), Cizikas, Carrick
    LW: Kaprizov, J.T. Miller (C), J. Robertson, Colton (C)
    RW: Perron (LW), T. Moore
    D: Carlson, Ekblad, Letang, Dumba, Lindell, Siegenthaler
    G: Hellebuyck, Vejmelka

Prospects: Turcotte, Raty, Holtz, N. Robertson, M. Bourque, Lundkvist, Soderstrom, Sandin, Addison

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Re: Time to cut bait on Vrbata?

I would make that move. Not that high on Vrbata anymore. Plus I'm not the biggest Canuck fan. Larkin is playing very good though.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Lol. I cut him over the weekend, and he gets a hat trick last night... What are the odds?
    16 Team Keeper League. Head-to-Head. Daily moves. Keep 10. Roster 20. Keepers in Bold
    Positions: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 2F, 5D, 1Skt, 2G, 4 Bench
    Skaters: G, A, PPP, PIM, SOG, HITS, BLKS, FOW Goalies: W, GAA, SV%

C: MacKinnon, Couturier, Eriksson Ek, McCann (LW), Cizikas, Carrick
    LW: Kaprizov, J.T. Miller (C), J. Robertson, Colton (C)
    RW: Perron (LW), T. Moore
    D: Carlson, Ekblad, Letang, Dumba, Lindell, Siegenthaler
    G: Hellebuyck, Vejmelka

Prospects: Turcotte, Raty, Holtz, N. Robertson, M. Bourque, Lundkvist, Soderstrom, Sandin, Addison

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by RememberRobitaille View Post
    Lol. I cut him over the weekend, and he gets a hat trick last night... What are the odds?
    Seen that quite often. Drop a guy and he turns around and he kicks you in the jimmies on the way out.

Dobber Sports Ninja

That's the way it is with these streaky-type scorers. Vrbata is one of the best in that regard lol. Decently consistent from year to year but prone to peaks and valleys.

I will say this, on some nights the Higgins-McCann-Vrbata line looks fantastic. Monday night was one of those nights. Problem is it's really inconsistent and the Canucks as a whole aren't playing very well. The D is sketchy at best and I dont' think the forwards are giving it their all.

Dobber Sports Stud

I'd say now would be the time to sell high on Vrbata.
    Yahoo! 1 year league, 9 teams, Points only [G (3pts), A (2pts), PPP (1pt), Hits (0.1pt) *** W (4pts), Goals Against (-2pts), SV (0.2pt), SO (3pms)
    C: McDavid, Couturier, Kopitar, D.Strome
    LW: Guentzel, Connor, Miller, Kaprizov
    RW: Stamkos, Stone, Teravainen, Tatar
    D: Dahlin, Theodore, Andersson, Dumba
    G: Shersterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Ditto-- I feel your pain!