Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Islanders trying to trade Hamonic

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Islanders trying to trade Hamonic

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    For Edmonton sure. Eberle is overrated and Fayne is bad. Doesn't make sense for the Islanders though.
    I'd really be surprised to hear actual NHL GM's consider Jordan Eberle as "overrated".
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Grand Master

He's been riding two WJC moments and a career year on an insane SH% for his whole career. He's bad defensively, indecisive, with an average or below shot. Injury prone and gets knocked off the puck very easily. And he's overpaid for what he does/contributes.

Dobber Sports Deity

He's been riding two WJC moments and a career year on an insane SH% for his whole career. He's bad defensively, indecisive, with an average or below shot. Injury prone and gets knocked off the puck very easily. And he's overpaid for what he does/contributes.
    Well that's your opinion for what that's worth. I am confident if Peter Chiarelli were to put him out there for sale, he would have no problems what so ever finding plenty of teams willing to trade for that guy who gets knocked off the puck easily, who's injury prone, makes bad decisions and is overpaid. None what so ever and that probably includes Garth Snow and the Islanders.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Well that's your opinion for what that's worth. I am confident if Peter Chiarelli were to put him out there for sale, he would have no problems what so ever finding plenty of teams willing to trade for that guy who gets knocked off the puck easily, who's injury prone, makes bad decisions and is overpaid. None what so ever and that probably includes Garth Snow and the Islanders.
    Lol. Catty.

Dobber Sports Deity

Lol. Catty.
    Not at all. Just making a point.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by VintageVibe View Post
    Yeah... No way EDM trades Nurse straight up for Hamonic (let's forget about the fact that he's a bit of a bandaid)... To me, that would at least be a lateral move, if not a step backwards (in the long run), for EDM. It would have to be part of a bigger deal or a couple of good picks coming back.

Don't really care who you are... a freshly drafted 7th overall doesn't get moved for a mid 2nd rounder - opinions aside, that's just the politics of the game. Plus I am one of those people that thinks Nurse (a future top 2 dman with game-breaking ability - if you don't count him as one already) has higher upside than Hamonic (a solid, two-way, top 4 dman that misses 10+ games every year).

Maybe I'm alone in that thought though... I get that Hamonic is a very solid two-way guy and I know the Nurse debate is a strong one - you either love his game or hate it. He takes chances and is a liability out there at times but it's a learning process for him... and I give the kid the benefit of the doubt - not very often a 20 year old Dman comes in and plays 20 minutes a game... not to mention 5 points in 10 games (21 hits, 13 blocked shots as well).

Makes sense that NYI would be trying to reach for him in return though.
    FWIW, Pierre McGuire this morning said he would trade Nurse for Hamonic if he were the Oilers GM. He said the Oilers need a better defensive dman, and Hamonic makes the Oilers better. He did say it would be a really tough decision.

As a side note, during that interview, it was brought up by one of the hosts that Snow and Chiarelli do have a small bit of history trading with one another, if that makes a difference.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    FWIW, Pierre McGuire this morning said he would trade Nurse for Hamonic if he were the Oilers GM. He said the Oilers need a better defensive dman, and Hamonic makes the Oilers better. He did say it would be a really tough decision.

As a side note, during that interview, it was brought up by one of the hosts that Snow and Chiarelli do have a small bit of history trading with one another, if that makes a difference.
    They did just make a trade at the draft. A green Reinhart for 16th and 33rd wasn't it? Hamonic should fetch a similar return... though I'd imagine Nurse to have a higher price tag.
    The League in London (20 Team Multi-Cat H2H $100 Dynasty League) - Season 11
    ... In memory of "The Net Detective"
    C Pinto kDach Hayton Roy / Lowry Bjugstad Blueger Carrick
    LW Lehkonen Knies kJohnson Greenway / Laferriere Reichel Luostarinen Kartye Grebyonkin Buchelnikov
    RW
    Quinn Joseph Roslovic Chinakhov / Kakko Glass Brink O'Connor Holmberg Berggren Tuomaala
    D
    Werenski Hronek Power Guhle McCabe Roy / Gudas Raddysh Pachal Evans Cormier
    G
    Swayman / Hill Mrazek Ivanov Kokko

The Great One

I just went through every NHL lineup trying to think of a dman of Hamonic's caliber that might be available, besides him, and I couldn't think of any. Hamonic is an all-around, nasty dman who can block, hit, clear the front of the net, and put up 30ish points. Honestly, he is the type of player I think Nurse can become very soon (if not already). It definitely makes sense to trade Nurse for Hamonic because with Hamonic you get a player further ahead in development (therefore more of a guarantee), and a player signed to a very reasonable, long-term contract.

I wouldn't hate it if Edmonton made that deal; however, I just think it is a lateral move. It doesn't really do a lot to improve the Oilers long-term. Sure, in the short-term Hamonic is an improvement, but by next year and especially the year after that I am quite confident Nurse will be just as good, if not better.

I would love it if the Oilers could land Hamonic and keep Nurse, then we'd have the makings of one scary top pairing.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

They did just make a trade at the draft. A green Reinhart for 16th and 33rd wasn't it? Hamonic should fetch a similar return... though I'd imagine Nurse to have a higher price tag.
    I'm sorry what? Reinhart and Hamonic should fetch similar returns? No. You need to re-evaluate your process dude. Reinhart is barely an NHLer, and probably isn't one on a lot of teams. Hamonic is a top 3 defender on most (if not all) teams.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post

i'd also swap nurse for hamonic. it's time for edmonton to stop riding "potential" and make moves to actually improve their team. nurse is by no means a lock to be a top 2 dman, and even if that happens it will probably take years for him to hit that level in edmonton.

hamonic might only be seen as a top 4 dman but his defensive skills are exactly what edmonton needs. and when you have a player locked into a long term contract and actually wants to play for edmonton, i think they really need to do whatever they can to trade for him.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    i'd also swap nurse for hamonic. it's time for edmonton to stop riding "potential" and make moves to actually improve their team. nurse is by no means a lock to be a top 2 dman, and even if that happens it will probably take years for him to hit that level in edmonton.

hamonic might only be seen as a top 4 dman but his defensive skills are exactly what edmonton needs. and when you have a player locked into a long term contract and actually wants to play for edmonton, i think they really need to do whatever they can to trade for him.
    Exactly... Hamonic plays hard minutes against tough players and is still one of the better blue liners in NYI for driving possession. I'd be all over him if I were the Oilers.

Hey, maybe they can go for a bigger deal and try and get the currently demoted Strome back too!
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Sage

I'm sorry what? Reinhart and Hamonic should fetch similar returns? No. You need to re-evaluate your process dude. Reinhart is barely an NHLer, and probably isn't one on a lot of teams. Hamonic is a top 3 defender on most (if not all) teams.
    I said similar, not identical. I did recognize Reinhart is green. I'd think Hamonic would fetch a 1st and 2nd so long as that 1st doesn't fall into the lottery.

If Reinhart develops properly he will do what Hamonic is doing sooner or later - whether he misses 10-15 games a year like Hamonic - that I cannot say. Anyways, Oilers aren't going for the cup this year... they can afford to wait instead of making a lateral move for TH and the short term upgrade they get with him. Now, if they move Eberle or Yak and a depth dman for Hamonic and a guy like Bailey or something... that's a different story all together. I have no doubt of their need for a dman like Hamonic - I just don't think moving Nurse is the right answer.
    LW Lehkonen Knies kJohnson Greenway / Laferriere Reichel Luostarinen Kartye Grebyonkin Buchelnikov
    RW
    Quinn Joseph Roslovic Chinakhov / Kakko Glass Brink O'Connor Holmberg Berggren Tuomaala
    D
    G

I said similar, not identical. I did recognize Reinhart is green. I'd think Hamonic would fetch a 1st and 2nd so long as that 1st doesn't fall into the lottery.

If Reinhart develops properly he will do what Hamonic is doing sooner or later - whether he misses 10-15 games a year like Hamonic - that I cannot say. Anyways, Oilers aren't going for the cup this year... they can afford to wait instead of making a lateral move for TH and the short term upgrade they get with him. Now, if they move Eberle or Yak and a depth dman for Hamonic and a guy like Bailey or something... that's a different story all together. I have no doubt of their need for a dman like Hamonic - I just don't think moving Nurse is the right answer.
    I don't no if you're overselling Reinhart, or underselling Hamonic, or what exactly you're going for here, but no. These two players aren't anywhere close to the same conversation.

Administrator

I think Hamonic would fetch 1+2 as a playoff rental and that's not the case here at all.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Sage

I don't no if you're overselling Reinhart, or underselling Hamonic, or what exactly you're going for here, but no. These two players aren't anywhere close to the same conversation.
    It looks like:

A) I'm overselling Reinhart because of the Oilers current situation. They are still 2-3 years away from making a serious push and can afford to wait on the young guys to develop properly.
    B) Underselling Hamonic because he is injured every year.

I do think the Isles did well with their return for Reinhart. I do think Hamonic would have fetched more in the same scenario under the same circumstances.

But now EDM has Reinhart and Sekera and Nurse. And Hamonic is requesting the move and somewhat handcuffing management. So EDM can get him a little cheaper...

Though I do think I haven't correctly calculated the value of his management-friendly contract...

Just playing devils advocate. It's a slow Thursday...
    RW
    D
    G